Inspiration | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Inspiration

Indeed, I'm one of the many fans who turns to Michelle skating Lyra Angelica for inspiration, generally the performance at 1998 Nationals. It's not just because the music and skating themselves are sublime. It also represents Michelle's comeback from her broken foot during a crucial training period leading up to the Olympics. This jubilant performance reminds me not to fold when things get tough.

I also find her Song of the Black Swan inspiring. To me this program transcends the requirements of competition. It creates a serene, light-filled space full of mystery and richness. In fact, though I've always loved Dvorak's chamber music, Michelle's program made me pay closer attention to the piano trio she used, and I often listen to that piece for inspiration. (She used music from the last movement.)

Both versions of Missing are tremendously inspiring to me, the one skated competitively by the Duchesnays and the one skated by Christopher Dean himself with his partner Jayne Torvill. I love Andean music anyway. The program Dean choreographed used that music to highlights a larger issue of the rights of humanity, showing the dimensions that skating can achieve when inspired creators are at work. Works like these prove that no matter how many decimal points we argue about, skating is not just a sport. At its best, it is a unique example of human endeavor.

The Duchesnays' version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coM4d1CQZfs

Torvill and Dean's version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NJC_D8RLHQ

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Olympia, we have the same taste in Mk competition programs. I find Lyra in a class by itself, it was young, pure Michelle-I loved both nationals and olympic skate. MK did not hold back at all in Nagano. It was a beautiful, flawless skate. Frank told her she was very good and that Tara was better. Well, Tara had the 3l/3l and I find her skating inspiring too. People say MK held back, but I don't see it. And she did all her elements. It was close. My second favorite is Song of the Black Swan and for end of career, grown up MK, Tosca. I find these inspiring. Her 2004 nationals Tosca is so inspiring. She was fighting then to show she still had it with CoP coming in to the game. I recommend these three programs to any young skate fans who want to see why MK was special and that not every great skater wins an OGM. Kurt, Orser, Elvis just to name a few Canadians. (someone said GS bashes Canadians-au contraire! Canadian men rock and rule!)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Indeed, I'm one of the many fans who turns to Michelle skating Lyra Angelica for inspiration, generally the performance at 1998 Nationals. It's not just because the music and skating themselves are sublime. It also represents Michelle's comeback from her broken foot during a crucial training period leading up to the Olympics. This jubilant performance reminds me not to fold when things get tough.

I also find her Song of the Black Swan inspiring. To me this program transcends the requirements of competition. It creates a serene, light-filled space full of mystery and richness. In fact, though I've always loved Dvorak's chamber music, Michelle's program made me pay closer attention to the piano trio she used, and I often listen to that piece for inspiration. (She used music from the last movement.)

Both versions of Missing are tremendously inspiring to me, the one skated competitively by the Duchesnays and the one skated by Christopher Dean himself with his partner Jayne Torvill. I love Andean music anyway. The program Dean choreographed used that music to highlights a larger issue of the rights of humanity, showing the dimensions that skating can achieve when inspired creators are at work. Works like these prove that no matter how many decimal points we argue about, skating is not just a sport. At its best, it is a unique example of human endeavor.

The Duchesnays' version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coM4d1CQZfs

Torvill and Dean's version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NJC_D8RLHQ

Oh, I have never seen this Olympia, I am blown away by Torvill and Dean. There is no comparison for me. I don't care for the D's version, but T&D are perfection. I loved the era when ice dance as well as pairs had unison in much of the movement, before the frenetic Euro/Russian era took full hold. This is a beautiful and inspiring skate. Thanks for sharing it. ;)

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
My favorite Michelle Kwan long program is Tosca at 2004 Nationals. It is one of a few that really makes me emotional.

But, to respond of the theme of this thread, this is the one that does it for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buQXBXmjumU

Tonya at her best (Skate America 1991). This is the kind of skate that makes it seem like pulling oneself up by one's bootstraps is possible.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
You are from Canton, MI. Do you ever watch the icedancers there in practice pepenero?

I agree Tonya pulled herself up many times before she thought the only way to go was illegal. It is still hard for me to see Tonya and know she felt she could not get the American judges/USFS behind her no matter what. Notice she gets two 6.0's from her tech skate and the American judge gives her a 5.8 That says it all. Nancy and Kristi had the confidence that went with their beloved status, Kristi, the spunky Asian girl who everyone liked, petite and consistent and such a hard worker and Nancy, mature, beautiful, every inch an Ice Princess. Capitals intended. Tonya had she suceeded in this sport, would have been a miracle given all she had against her.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
http://youtu.be/PE1_0xd9A4k

It's been over five years, and I have yet to see a program or performance to equal Stephane Lambiel's Poeta at 2007 Worlds in sheer brilliance. The 2006-2007 season was such a strange season for Stephane, one of mostly dreadful performances and burnout--but for him to come back and skate like this at Worlds was extraordinary. I've lost count of how many times I've watched Poeta, but watching the entire program--particularly the final step sequence and the ending spins--still sends chills down my spine. I find Poeta inspiring due to the the scope of its ambition, both technically (2 quads, including one in the second half of the program) and artistically (e.g. how Stephane fuses together dance and skating, the way he uses the music). A milestone for 'artistic' programs under CoP.

Plus, Stephane actually hits a triple axel for once, which is a cause for celebration in itself.

One of the things going for the program is that the camera work was amazing throughout the competition but especially so for Lambiel's free skate. It's like the Japanese hired a professional director for his skate.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
What skate from this past season 2011-2012 inspired you most?

I had several. Ashley inspired me with both her sp and lp.

Takahashi with his sp-wow....

Chan with his gala skate-Elegy

Caro with her LP

It was a very good year for performances to go back and watch.

Thank you Caro, Ash, Dai especially for so many great performances this year. And Akiko too. All worth revisiting many times.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Oksana skating to Nutcracker! Oh, it is snowing!!! And she looks so wonderful- baby oksana!

I agree about all the programs you cited skateluvr. Chan's gala is my favorite program ever from him. As for Takahashi, both the short and long programs move and inspire me. Caroline's skate was especially pleasing to me because she skated to Mozart. There aren't many people these days who skate to classical music that isn't Rachmaninoff or Tchaikovsky or Bizet. (Much as I love them.) Mozart isn't overly dramatic, so a skater can't coast on the emotional impact of the music. It requires lyricism, precision, and subtlety. Caroline delivered on all counts.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
One of the things going for the program is that the camera work was amazing throughout the competition but especially so for Lambiel's free skate. It's like the Japanese hired a professional director for his skate.

I KNOW!!!! It was amazing. I remember marvelling at the camera work during the circular step sequence.

evangeline

Record Breaker

I KNOW!!!! It was amazing. I remember marvelling at the camera work during the circular step sequence.

Ditto for me on this point as well. No annoying overhead shots during the spins, some really fantastic angles, no close-ups of Lambiel's face or random limbs at inopportune times...I also was blown away at how well the cameras were able to capture Lambiel charging down the rink during the final step sequence. Plus the Japanese tend to light their arenas very brightly for figure skating competitions so it was even easier to scrutinize all the details of Lambiel's fantastic skate. Overall, a magical moment all around.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I pick Dube and Davison's The Blower's Daughter LP as performed at 2008 Worlds. I'd never paid much attention to D/D beyond the famous accident (interestingly, with the very same LP) and it was just a wow moment. It's a beautiful program, but as Chris (?) says on Eurosport, it's not just that. The whole performance was special - like another Canadian in Gotheburg, everything just fell into place. I've watched it quite a few times since, and the only downer is that they never came close to that level again (The Way We Were wasn't nearly as good). But for four minutes, you couldn't take your eyes off them. That's not something I see in skating all that often.

I watched it again when I went to Youtube for the link, and I still maintain they were robbed.

Another gorgeous skate that I must mention is DelSchoes' FD at the 2008-9 GPF. Oh, what could have been.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
While I like D/D they never really got to the level of artists over athletes. I don't find it inspiring. I guess that is why Heaven rains down so much music and talent to inspire everyone if they just look. I find it amazing- I know people who think rap is art. It makes me laugh or cringe. Even I am a better poet than these urban guys. I wish we would see a female rapper break through big time and be as sexist as sexist as them. zWhile I have never had time to study music in my very burdensome life, I always wanted to. I am glad I can appreciate music, dance in so many forms. What one loves another hates. I enjoy seeing whay moves each special person here on GS!

I am in total agreement about the Del Schoes' FD. Very nice.