Zhang Hao has a new partner | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Zhang Hao has a new partner

russell30

Final Flight
I wish Dan Zhang all the Best. I have watched them develop since 2000, although the "Offspring of Dragons" routine will be most remembered partly due to Torino 06 where they won the Olympic Silver.

But the best routine technically and artistically has to be their SP in 09 "On Wings of Song" just beautiful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QxGoETmXr4

SF, thanks for the translations! This must have been difficult for everyone. After the closeness a pair has, and for all those years, it must be like leaving your family for another one. Like everyone else, I'll never forget her incredibly gutsy performance at the Olympics.

I went back and looked at her photos. Definitely she should go on the Beautiful list! I hope she enjoys her university studies and finds a great path forward.

As for the age difference between the new partners, I normally don't feel comfortable with that either, but two of my favorite couples were Klimova and Ponomarenko, the ice dancers, and Kovarikova and Novotny, the Czech pair skaters. There was a six-year difference between Marina and Sergei and a twelve-year difference between Radka and Rene. Sometimes it works out, and I'll hope for it here. Maybe the Chinese pairs are less refined than the Russians, but everyone is less refined than the Russians. They are to pairs skating what the Italians are to opera; they all but invented the discipline, and they are certainly the ones who grafted the ballet tradition to the sport aspect and excelled at both. But the Chinese pairs have such heart. They are, after all, in only their first generation as world-class skaters. And in that time, they've done better than the U.S. has in its entire span of pairs skaters. A pretty good record.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Zhangs part ways - The news in English.

Hao has been very kind and helpful to his young partner, taking care of her in daily life. I think their lifts and throws are going very well but there is a long way for Peng to go in her skating skills and team synergy does take time to jell. As Hao described, perfect teamwork is when his partner knows exactly what he's going to do with his single glance. 14 years of partnership is hard to match.

Yao Bin is going to personally pay for a new hair cut for Peng. :)

danng38

Spectator
I wouldnt be surprised at all if we dont see any Chinese pair on the podium for many many years to come. Pang & Tong are done IMO. I dont see Hao Zhang's career going anywhere substantial at this point, even if they pair him with Ekaterina Gordeeva. Sui & Han are already in trouble and if she grows anymore they are done. The Chinese era in pairs is definitely over. A return to the Russian era is gradually coming back, and when the Germans retire it will be back in full flow.
Is this a crystal ball or a wish list. It's time to change the name, russianfan instead.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Not to be mean but why won't Zhang move on as well. Many felt the Zhangs were pushing it to 2010 to compete. They got some world medals and the Olympic silver. I have to say that's a great career. And in a way they were darn lucky. I kind of think they should have been disqualified for such a long break in the long program. They weren't just a couple of minutes and the unfortunate fall while very sad was totally their doing - trying a jump probably too hard for them. It wasn't like either one of them slipped on a rut or piece of cellophane they chose to go for the big trick and it was a risk. Anyways, not to be mean I think they had th eir day; he should realize it and move on. I really sense some of these teams are trying for OGM ie the Germans and Pang and Tong. They still have reasonable chances to win but I personally find them rather blah now and not growing as skaters. the Germans are innovative and solid technicians - remind me of some russians from yester year. But I am tired with them. I'd like to see the Russians, Canadians or Japanese take over now.