Scott Hamilton: An amazing skater and person | Golden Skate

Scott Hamilton: An amazing skater and person

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I do love Scott, and am very proud of him for sharing his faith and encouragement. Nice guy, too...

Binthere

On the Ice
Scott's story is one that involves so many heart-rendering tugs and pulls. He has persevered in so many ways throughout his life. Hard work allowed him many hard-earned achievements as well.
Do I love EVERYTHING about him? Uhh, I guess I could do without his hyper-Scott commentary days. It always makes me wish that one could be sitting back in a couch in a simple living room in front of a TV, with a couple of other fans, listening to what he has to say about the skating. I would bet he has a lot of humorous and fascinating observations in that type of setting.

Still, A great role model for skaters of generations that follow for sure.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like and admire Scott for many reasons (I do wish he would tone down the screeching as a commentator), but other than that, I think he's been amazing for figure skating and inspiration.

What a wonderful portrait of this unique man.

It's funny how, no matter how lavish and heartfelt the praise for our lovely ice princesses -- Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill, Michelle Kwan -- somehow it is still the prince that endures as the number one skating icon in U.S. skating history.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
What a wonderful portrait of this unique man.

It's funny how, no matter how lavish and heartfelt the praise for our lovely ice princesses -- Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill, Michelle Kwan -- somehow it is still the prince that endures as the number one skating icon in U.S. skating history.

Prince? Try King ;)

Prince? Try King ;)

Or, as Katia calls him in her book, Skate God for Life. If anyone remembers that last skate the group performed in the memorial program for Sergei, not Katia devastating solo to Mahler's Adagietto, but the happy group piece performed to Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings, Scott was Katia's "partner." The camera caught his expression of loving pride when she skated her portion--he was brother, father, friend all in one. He must have been such a support to Katia and her family during that terrible year.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Actually there's a longer story as to how he got Skate God For Life. It started as a running joke between Scott and Brian Orser. Whenever one would do "the impossible" on the ice (this was during their competitive years) he was skate god for a day. When Browning hit the quad in Budapest Scotty dubbed him skate god jr. Even had skateqguards made with that printed on them.

When Scott beat his cancer in 1997 Kurt dubbed him Skate God For Life. The other SOIers caught on.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Scott adored G/G-them as people/skaters and was as smitten by Katia as every man who knew her. He really pushed her solo career and it is clear from photos he would have taken care of her for life. While others caught Katia's eye for a while for 3 years, it was the young Ilia she wanted, and of course she got the baby and her man. Scott found his beautiful, amazing girl. I can relate more to scott than any other skater for many reasons.

I've always imagined a conversation between Ilia and some other guys of Stars on Ice, the bigger the better. "You do Katia wrong and we'll make sure you can never skate again."

skatesindreams

Rinkside
Actually there's a longer story as to how he got Skate God For Life. It started as a running joke between Scott and Brian Orser. Whenever one would do "the impossible" on the ice (this was during their competitive years) he was skate god for a day. When Browning hit the quad in Budapest Scotty dubbed him skate god jr. Even had skateqguards made with that printed on them.

When Scott beat his cancer in 1997 Kurt dubbed him Skate God For Life. The other SOIers caught on.

That makes perfect sense.
Thanks for sharing.

Olympia, I've imagined that, as well.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Scott is an amazing character. His support of Katia at the loss of Sergei. He was a great show skater. His fight against cancer, his various causes and faith are all very admirable. Seems like a nice guy even if he is annoying sometimes in commentating. Sadly by the end of his competitive days if it were not for school figures, Brian Orser was clearly outskating him. In fact, Hamilton limped to World Gold in 1984 making some mistakes on some of his bigger tricks which could not compete with Orser's power and athleticness.

I found new respect and admiration for him when I heard the news that he proposed pro-am competition to ISU council meeting last year. It goes without saying that his love and support for figure skating are truly surpassing everyone's expectation.

Just a little thing: Does anyone have any idea when this competition of his brainchild is gonna be held? I heard it would be called ICE, which I think is a great name to it:D