Have you been to any good ice shows lately? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Have you been to any good ice shows lately?

let`s talk

Match Penalty
www.friendsonice.com

I was late for the evening show and entered the arena when a group numer of MWO participants were going one. Quite sweet and cheesy, Shizuka did 2A, but guess when the audience exploded: when Kulik did his jump in spin at the level above the arena-area seats. And that was just the beginning (I mean Kulik, but I didn't know that at that moment). There were some group numbers in the show. Miki and Shizuka skated in dark-blue dresses, but Miki had sleeves while Shizuka didn't. They did their usual stuff of 2A and 3T, at the end of the number Miki fell with no reason. Not a good idea of Miki-Shizuka duet. Arakawa is much more elegant and Miki looks like klutz next to her. In the second half Akiko and Honda skated the Irish Riverdance stuff (with Dai dancing at the backstage, lol). He was in some hispanic pants and white shirt, she was in some a la tango-dress (for Riverdance, haha). They were actually good together, clean and synchronized. They had that "pair" moment, so rare collaboration among single skaters. The peak in group numbers was of course Swan Trio of Miki, Dai and Shizuka. All three I assume represented different concepts. Miki was some kind of caricature of Black Swan in that dress and tiara, which was a very good idea considering how much that music is overused in FS. Shizuka was some tech-classic hybrid, quite beautiful, and Dai just funning around with his hip-hop Swan. Yes, in that costume but with the current boyish hair-cut. Lovely! His spins were faster than Shizuka's and especially Miki's, but he fell on 3A.

Weaver/Poje skated rather trivial stuff and left all their speed and edges somewhere en route to Japan. Does she look wider or it's just that golden dress makes her look like that? In general they were rather boring. Even Babies Shibutanis were more inspiring at THE ICE. Pang/Tong are sometimes critizied for using the same style, usually classic music, beautiful dresses, etc. But the fact is they sell it. They are both average-looking. So, the strong music choice and outfit help then to deliver. Plus technique, which is there. The triple twist and 3S throw jump were clean, high and powerful. I like how he lifts her in masculine way and a second later- gently keeps her in his soft arms. They have it and I really enjoyed watching them.

Miki and Shizuka both skated what they usually skate- same set of 2A, 3S, spiral, spin, lovely dress and music, end. Yuka Sato didn't jump, her camel spin was good. Slutskaya tried 3Loop but fell. She did her bielmann spin (no changing leg though) and her a la bielmann-back spiral. Akiko showed her new prog. The dress was charming, the music- trivial. She did 3flutz, quite low and shaky landing, then 2A, 3F, spins were a little slow but 3S was very good.

Yamato Tamura is a fun guy who is still kicking around. He did 3L, deep sit and shaky, then a combo 3T-3T-2Loop also with poor landing on the last jump. But what the hell! The guy is 33 who retired competitions 9 years ago. Takeshi Honda skated Tosca, did 3T, 2S, 3S, nice spin and beautiful eagle. He seems like taking seriously the preparation for MWO. His jumps were less stable at PIW but now he looks much more confident. Good! Kozuka presented his new SP. Well, the music is very emotional and powerful for this introverted guy. But ironically he looks not that bad as someone might suggest. He may be not pulling this piece as a more extroverted skater would do. But it seems like the music itself is pushing him to "open up". It could be quite a good tactics. But with poor jump technique someone can't have high expectations. Today he two-footed quad and step-out, 3A ended up in a 1A, 3Loop- in a 2Loop. What kind of idea is it with this doughnut spin? That's horrible. Throw it away, guy. The biggest, and the most pleasant surprise for me was Ilia Kulik. I didn't expect anything like that. Who would have thought that this retired, and the most "old" skater in the cast would win the biggest ovation of the night that later got beaten only by Daisuke. What an edge on 3Lutz!. Then 3T and 2A, all high and big, sharp refined steps right on music, the perfect connection the audience, etc. Such a rare masculine style in modern Men's field that seems like will die after Plu and Joubert will retire. Real shame.

Daisuke skated his new SP Rockabilly. I assume the prog is undercooked yet. There are some empty "spaces" between elements and repetitive moves. But it's a solid tradidtion for Dai to present his new SP at FOI no matter how just-cooked it is. As well as to change his costumes . If he changes this claustrophobic one, I wouldn't mind at all. His challenged quad, it was underrotated, two-footed and step-out. 3L was good, as well as 3A in the second part of the program. With his artistism and feeling of music he can sell anything. But anything is not enough for his fans, whom his spoilt with SP masterpieces like Eye and Garden of Souls. He knows that too. So, I am sure the prog will be well-cooked by the first competition. Dai is actually enjoying himself very much in this new prog, which is nice.

I'll be there tomorrow for both shows, then I'll update you

mikeko666

Final Flight
In the second half Akiko and Honda skated the Irish Riverdance stuff (with Dai dancing at the backstage, lol). He was in some hispanic pants and white shirt, she was in some a la tango-dress (for Riverdance, haha). They were actually good together, clean and synchronized. They had that "pair" moment, so rare collaboration among single skaters.

They both wore the costumes from their past Riverdance programs.

Takeshi Honda 2002-2003 FS
http://youtu.be/tT33YO5PeV4

Akiko Suzuki 2009-2010 SP
http://youtu.be/GVeDBsnLwTw
The songs are "Andalusia" and "Firedance" from Riverdance, and both are actually flamenco.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Was the SP to The Stroll and to Bill Haley's Rudy's Rock, as was reported in a Japanese fan forum?

(I hope you liked the show..it sounds like there was a lot in it, but it is a bit disappointing that W&P weren't rocking it. Their season starts at Skate America, and they need to be on.)

let`s talk

Match Penalty
They both wore the costumes from their past Riverdance programs.
You were there? I hope you will write the report.
Takeshi's outfit was indeed the same as in the link you provided (pardon, I wasn't following 2002-2003 that closely). But Akiko wore a different dress (also black-red, no gold though, with shoulder straps) but quite similar to the style in your link. IMO both their outfits have a little or nothing to do with Riverdance. Still it didn't spoil the moment of "pair" that I pointed out.

Was the SP to The Stroll and to Bill Haley's Rudy's Rock, as was reported in a Japanese fan forum?
Yes, it was exactly those ones.

I don't know for sure about W/P. It might be the fact that in Japan they have to skate two shows a day, and feel tired at the end. Some Russian skaters (Leonova) spoke about that too, of course she didn't mention tiredness but it was visible between the lines. Anyway, I always say one show is not enough. So tomorrow the picture will be more 'objective' to judge.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Saw the ice show/acrobatic show at the Toronto based CNE the other day. Tessa and Scott had a very warm reception from the crowd and skated 3 times in the show. Actually, the trampolinists stole the show in their number towards the end of the show. They were extremely good (2 girls and 1 guy). There is also a pair of jugglers, some break dancers and other skaters that I didn't recognize (court/group numbers) in the show. I highly recommend going and watching this show, it was fantastic.

A striking photo of Virtue/Moir during a lift today at the CNE:
https://twitter.com/thefirsthalf/status/239516589253341185/photo/1/large

(Although the lift itself is not off-the-charts incredibly special, the composition of the photo is terrific.)

deedee1

Record Breaker
Thank you so much for your detailed report, as usual! :yay:

www.friendsonice.com

The peak in group numbers was of course Swan Trio of Miki, Dai and Shizuka. All three I assume represented different concepts. Miki was some kind of caricature of Black Swan in that dress and tiara, which was a very good idea considering how much that music is overused in FS. Shizuka was some tech-classic hybrid, quite beautiful, and Dai just funning around with his hip-hop Swan. Yes, in that costume but with the current boyish hair-cut. Lovely!

Kozuka presented his new SP. Well, the music is very emotional and powerful for this introverted guy. But ironically he looks not that bad as someone might suggest. He may be not pulling this piece as a more extroverted skater would do. But it seems like the music itself is pushing him to "open up". It could be quite a good tactics.

I'll be there tomorrow for both shows, then I'll update you

Glad to know Takahiko tries to 'open up', finally! :yes: this is something I have always felt missing in their performances (; so that I have long wanted to see) from skaters such as Takahiko Kozuka and Nobunari Oda.

:biggrin: to Dai's hair with his Cyber swan costume!

Thanks again, Let's talk. Hope you had great time again at today's shows! :)

let`s talk

Match Penalty
On the last day of FOI there was a line near the ticket office from the early morning. Some kind of camp with blankets to sit on, folding chairs, obentos, etc. People were waiting in a line for 4-5 hours in +35 sunny humid weather just to buy tickets for the last show, usually the most popular one. Nothing was like that even a couple of years ago. Now it's just crazy. And all this is because of Dai.

I think Weaver looks the same, maybe that golden dress made her look a little wider. Does Poje knows that he, especially as an ice-dancer, is not supposed to be on two feet that much, even in the EX? I never really like his posture, he seems like round-shouldered to me, not a guy with the royal back. In the morning they were pretty much the same as on Sat evening. But on Sun evening the accident happened. I think the strap that fixes his trousers to boots got detauched. So they stopped, he went off the ice to fix the thing and after a couple of seconds she started dancing on the ice with no music (not skating but dancing, like on the floor) to entertain the waiting audience. Ironically this accident provoked them to look more emotional later in the EX, especially her, and even speed finally showed up. Btw, speaking about ice dancing. The new World Figure Skating #54 magazine will be in bookshops from Aug 30. But they were already selling it in the FOI lobby. There on the last page was the announcement of the next WFS #55 that will be issued in November. It seems like Meryl will be on the cover, and if I remember correctly she is gonna be the first ice dancer who ever was on WFS cover. The most interesting part is that she is there alone, with no Charlie. Nobody needs Charlie on the cover, Meryl alone is enough. Rolf.
http://s1259.photobucket.com/albums... Skating 54/?action=view&current=0b9091eb.jpg

Pang/Tong were refine and simply perfect. In all 3 shows that I saw all elements were clean, without any single mistakes. They are like authentic Chinese clock that never breaks.
Irina in both shows landed 3Loop successfully, did her classic bielmanns and spirals. In the evening she tried 2A but singled it. Miki is not in good form at all. It's not just her jumps, which were 3S with step out in the morning, in the evening she landed 3T and then again fell with no reason after the jump, then 3S and almost fell. In general she is very slow and heavy, with horibble spins and lines. She is still with no coach, which is odd considering her plans for the coming season. Arakawa was as usual, with the only difference that in the evening at Swan Trio she did combo 2A-3T. In the opening she used the acrobats rods that put her under the ceiling above everyone. And that is how she ended the opening: pointing with her hands on the skaters, as well as on the audience, like some kind of goddess in the sky. Oh my. That is not how people normally treat Friends, my dear Shi-chan. Akiko in the morning presented her new SP in a lousy outfit. She landed 3Lip and 3Flutz and I don't know for sure which one was the first and the second. Poor judges if she landed such hybrids at the competition. 2A had a second foot's toe touch a littlle. In the evening she skated the same stuff that I saw at Sat evening, in her peacock dress. Quite a tradidtional EX for always boring galas. But their Riverdance with Honda got literally "screamed" by the audience.

Takeshi is quite confident with his 3T and 3S, only in the evening show he singled 3S but later did it. I think it was his only mistake, not counting 3A that he tried in a finale but fell. Nice spins, eagle and split jump. Tamura was full of fun and joy, landed 3Lutz more than once and did 3T-3T-2Loop combo in the evening. Sasaki is a cool guy who simply represents himself on the ice. His 3L and 3F were fine, even with one hand above, 3A is not stable: doubled in the morning and step out in the evening. Murakami did his best to be impressive, but he was really slow. Did 3S, 3F quite good, a 3A with step out. Kozuka in the morning doubled his quad, 3A was shaky but on one foot and rotated, 3Loop- good. In the evening he finally landed a quad,a tiny shake but on one foot and no fall. Then he got inspired and did an amazing big 3A. After the SP he looked so happy, just blooming with the wide smile. During the lottery he said he was disappointed with his performance on the previous days, so last night he practiced a lot, and finally he did what he wanted. His new SP can be actually a good piece of work, I mean the spirit and interpretation. Kulik rocked as before. Oh those traditional Russian guys! How much I like their style on the ice. Tall, big, handsome, always confident, powerful and sportish. The Mister Athlete. The audience didn't want that blonde to go.

Dai in the morning in Swan Trio did 3A with two feet and step out. In SP a quad was rotated but two-footed and step out, 3Lutz was great, 3A with step out and one hand on the ice. In the evening the quad was there, I think he touched the ice with the second foot's toe, but just a little, then gorgeaous 3Lutz and 3A. His spins are very fast, nice position and simply marvelous, His new-element split jump is getting higher and higher. Then he kicked out in a dance finale that was choreographed by Miyamoto. Kenji showed up on the ice in the evening show ans was dancing a little with the skaters.

日テレ will broadcast the show on Sep 8th, 10:30-11:25. Then I am sure some videos will be on youtube.

Kelly

On the Ice
Thank you, let's talk, for your reviews and some photos in WFS magazine #54. Plushenko is handsome and confident in the magazine just as your description of a traditional Russian male figure skater. Now for another style, Kozuka's Moon Dance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPh-kAXsrwo (from Mao Asada's forum)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the link deedee, great photos! Nice to see Oda again! Looking forward to seeing him back on the ice again, I have missed him.

Thanks so much for your detailed reviews and the videos, Let's Talk! And everyone else for video links and other wonderful snippets of information. It's the next best thing to being there.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
There's not much information about FaOI from faraway Fukui. Nevertheless some tiny pieces still managed to sneak in the Net. Fans as usual in Japan great their favourites with ikebanas: http://a.yfrog.com/img735/8229/ym1en.jpg , occasionally load news clip on youtube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZwUCqbeMg8 . Hanyu skated his new FS in a costume like that (left one, with the cross): http://twitpic.com/aq5hvq He challenged 4T, 4S, 3A-2T and other triples, sometimes successful, sometimes not. Some twitter comments here from the audience:
"BTW I saw Yuzu's FS. I could see the full version of it. Crazy jump elements:4T,4S,3A,3A-2T, & several other triples!"
"He looked tired in the latter half (obviously!) and fell on 3F(not sure). It looked like he forgot his choreo right after the fall"
" At this point, he is still not at the level where he can put his emotions into it as he's focusing on completing the elements."
While his new EX with Sashida, choreo by Miyamoto, got sweet comments. Here Yuzu is in the kimono costume for this number:
http://now.ameba.jp/sashidafumiya/1351909114/
Here is this musician is talking about his feeling on working with Hanyu:
http://ohheyjamiee.tumblr.com/post/30782759112/fumiya-sashida-2012-09-03-fantasy-on-ice-2012-in

giulia95

Medalist
Let's Talk, many thanks for informations and reports, you are able to describe all the skaters so clearly and vividly that I can picture each of them in my mind perfectly! :clap: :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Am wondering whether John Kerr will be performing solo ice dance on Saturday??
Sinead and he both were scheduled to appear in Michael Weiss' benefit show on Sep 8, but apparently she cannot be there.
Cannot tell how much the skaters are joking and not joking amongst themselves in their Twitter conversation:

sinead kerr ‏@sineadskate
Really bummed to have to miss @MichaelWeiss2 ice Champions Live show due to US entry difficulties! But you can watch @Jkerrbear go solo;)
10:21 AM - 5 Sep 12 ·​

Michael Weiss ‏@MichaelWeiss2
gonna miss u:( @sineadskate ...but ur brother's a rockstar trooper! Thanks! @Jkerrbear
10:40 AM - 5 Sep 12​

John Alastair Kerr ‏@Jkerrbear
@MichaelWeiss2 @sineadskate thanks guys:) I am a mixture of nervous and excited about the performance:)
12:03 PM - 5 Sep 12​

Ryan Bradley ‏@RyanSBradley
@Jkerrbear @michaelweiss2 @sineadskate dont worry. I will be out there with you
12:09 PM - 5 Sep 12​

Michael Weiss ‏@MichaelWeiss2
That's what he's nervous about. C ya guys in a couple days! @RyanSBradley @Jkerrbear @sineadskate
12:48 PM - 5 Sep 12​