Czisny: FB Post and Hip surgery | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Czisny: FB Post and Hip surgery

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
^ True, but have you ever seen a skater who keeps on trying like Alissa? She goes for every jump every time out, win or lose. She's the Little Engine That Could. ("And you can do 'most any-thing if you just think you can!" :) )

This reminds me of one of my favorite poems as a child.

Shel Silverstein said:
The Little Blue Engine

The little blue engine looked up at the hill.
His light was weak, his whistle was shrill.
He was tired and small, and the hill was tall,
And his face blushed red as he softly said,
“I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.”

So he started up with a chug and a strain,
And he puffed and pulled with might and main.
And slowly he climbed, a foot at a time,
And his engine coughed as he whispered soft,
“I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.”

With a squeak and a creak and a toot and a sigh,
With an extra hope and an extra try,
He would not stop — now he neared the top —
And strong and proud he cried out loud,
“I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!”

He was almost there, when — CRASH! SMASH! BASH!
He slid down and mashed into engine hash
On the rocks below... which goes to show
If the track is tough and the hill is rough,
THINKING you can just ain’t enough!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Alyssa is a beautiful young woman - graceful, gracious, etc. but I have always white-knuckled the armchair watching her. It seems like she's had a good skate about every 5th time out (this isn't factual -just guessing) and in between she self-destructs. I don't know whether it's a lack of focus, her nerves, or what, but I've never found it enjoyable to watch her. I'm always waiting for her to fall. I really hope that she retires and gets on with her life. It's hard enough to come back from hip surgery but she would be coming back to a history of less than stellar performances. Seeing her "live" in San Jose this year just was almost painful.

Oh no. You must have been writhing in pain and suffering then at world's this year with the way Alyssa skated - didn't the Canadian girl almost beat her or did they beat her.- like a koala giving birth to an elephant - oh the pain and agony!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well I guess she tries but sometimes she looks like she is petrified. Like bambi facing a cr in the dark. I hope it is just appearance.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sadly that petrified look isn't just appearance. It's the same with Mirai. It doesn't exactly install confidence when you watch them. You end up holding your breathe with each jump.

noskates

Record Breaker
Yeah, Worlds was painful! When Alyssa is "on" she's definitely a force to be reckoned with. It's just so rare.

Mirai is another headcase and I sure wish they would get her some help with that. It's like she had that growth spurt and lost her confidence. I love watching her skate but gone is the devil-may-care light-hearted always-smiling Mirai that first came on the scene. I often wonder if maybe Frank Carroll has been so interested in others that he's sort of neglected that aspect of her skating. It seems like she needs alot of support and I'm not so sure how nurturing he is. I would actually like to see her with Yuka Sato and Jason Dundgen.

And I do have to give props to Alyssa for trying but I do wish she'd retire and let someone else take her place. It's time.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
Alyssa is a beautiful young woman - graceful, gracious, etc. but I have always white-knuckled the armchair watching her. It seems like she's had a good skate about every 5th time out (this isn't factual -just guessing) and in between she self-destructs. I don't know whether it's a lack of focus, her nerves, or what, but I've never found it enjoyable to watch her. I'm always waiting for her to fall. I really hope that she retires and gets on with her life. It's hard enough to come back from hip surgery but she would be coming back to a history of less than stellar performances. Seeing her "live" in San Jose this year just was almost painful.

You're right: it isn't factual. No one qualifies for the Grand Prix Final, let alone wins it, by skating well once every five times. This notion that Czisny is horribly inconsistent has at this point become a self-perpetuating myth, and noskates post is evidence of that. Her good skates are ignored as "exceptions" while her bad skates are used to say, "See--look how inconsistent she is!" Every skater is to some degree "inconsistent"; no one skates at the exact same level every time. But that label ("inconsistent") seems to stick to some skaters, like Czisny, more than others, for some reason that I've never fully understood.

I would also object to the notion that Czisny should decide to retire because some figure skating observers get nervous when she skates. That does not seem like a good reason to give up what you've worked your whole life for.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Wow Pepe - didn't mean to foul your Wheaties! I think the year Alyssa won the GPF was a banner year for her! I would say it was the exception! And that's the first time I've said one of her skates was an exception! She's had some beautiful skates. Check here if you want to see her results over the years:

http://figureskatersonline.com/alissaczisny/site/results/

But, here's her National finishes: 12, 7, 3, 9, 1, 10, 1, 2 (starting in 2003/2004)
World finishes: 6 (Jrs) 6 (Jrs) 15, 11, 5, 22
I would hazard to say her inconsistency isn't just a myth. And I didn't bother to document the other competitions. She's had ups and downs.
And I think it's okay for someone to suggest a skater should retire when they're 25 years old and coming off of hip surgery! If she comes back 100% I'll be the first to be happy for her.

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But, here's her National finishes: 12, 7, 3, 9, 1, 10, 1, 2 (starting in 2003/2004)
World finishes: 6 (Jrs) 6 (Jrs) 15, 11, 5, didn't skate this year because of injury

Yes she did, she fininshed 22nd.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wonder if noskates was mocking Alyssa's world placement this year - you know subtle humour or mocking??? Some may say she skated like she was injured or like she wasn't at worlds because she was injured. Still such a beautiful skater.

R.D.

Record Breaker
World finishes: 6 (Jrs) 6 (Jrs) 15, 11, 5, didn't skate this year because of injury

I would hazard to say her inconsistency isn't just a myth. And I didn't bother to document the other competitions. She's had ups and downs.
And I think it's okay for someone to suggest a skater should retire when they're 25 years old and coming off of hip surgery! If she comes back 100% I'll be the first to be happy for her.

No need to guess - the numbers speak for themselves.

Again, Czisny has a lot more defenders than someone like Flatt does so tread carefully with any criticism of Alyssa :laugh:

noskates

Record Breaker
Was't mocking her in any way. I had a mental lapse there. Went back and fixed it but it's been quoted....so....

gkelly

Record Breaker

I think it's okay for us to wonder whether she might be ready to retire.

It's not up to us to suggest to her what she should do. Her choice. People who know her personally and have relevant expertise can offer advice, especially if she asks. Or if anyone is funding her training, they can decide to stop doing so.

You're right: it isn't factual. No one qualifies for the Grand Prix Final, let alone wins it, by skating well once every five times. This notion that Czisny is horribly inconsistent has at this point become a self-perpetuating myth, and noskates post is evidence of that. Her good skates are ignored as "exceptions" while her bad skates are used to say, "See--look how inconsistent she is!"

It takes a mix of good and bad performances to get labeled as inconsistent. If there were only bad skates, then the skater would get labeled as (consistently) not very good.

noskates

Record Breaker
{{Skater Boy}} I figured you were joking. It was a pretty funny post. gkelly I didn't mean someone should actually verbally in person suggest to Alyssa herself.....I was saying it was okay to suggest (meaning bring up the subject) that a skater should retire. In any case - good luck to her in her rehab.

macy

Record Breaker
i think the only way alissa will retire is if there is absolutely no way she can keep skating competitively because of her injury/surgery. she is one driven girl and doesn't give up easily, as we all have seen throughout her whole career. alissa loves skating dearly, and even says she loves to compete, and if that holds true i think she'll retire only if she absolutely can't come back.

gkelly

Record Breaker
noskates;646323[B said:
gkelly[/B] I didn't mean someone should actually verbally in person suggest to Alyssa herself.....I was saying it was okay to suggest (meaning bring up the subject) that a skater should retire. .

It's the "should" that bothers me -- it implies that we know what would be the best decision for her.

Of course, whatever she decides, no one including the skater herself will ever know whether a different choice might have worked out better after all.

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't have a clue what would be best for her. I really don't. I'm just saying that watching her struggle is hard. And we're putting alot of focus on semantics. Should, would, could..................yeah, whatever. She can either skate to what everyone THINKS is her potential...................or she can't.