GP 2012 assignments | Page 7 | Golden Skate

GP 2012 assignments

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm glad that Kaetlyn Osmond was choose for Skate Canada. She deserved it :clap:

And, I'm sure that she will shine at this event just like Gracie :rock:

Unfortunately, Kaetlyn will not only be facing Gracie at SC. There is some tough competition: Suzuki, Murakami, Tuktamysheva. But there are some skaters that may not be in top shape at the start of the season: Gedevanishvili, Makarova and maybe Zhang.

Strategically, it could be important that Osmond beat Lacoste, and that Gold beat Zhang, since they will be facing those rivals at their respective Nationals.

Trewyn

Medalist
I'm glad Alissa only got one event because she asked for just one. It would have been weird the USFSA giving their no.2 (from Nats) just one event, when Agnes and Caroline both got two. (I know there's her Worlds placement to take into account, but still.)

I'm positively thrilled Ashley got Paris :D Mostly because it's right around the corner for me. The Singles events in Paris are pretty competitive though! Especially if comeback skaters Johnny and Miki don't withdraw. I'm very excited!

Also excited to see Jorik and Kaetlyn getting a GP event!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alissa asked for just one GP event because she's having surgery on her torn hip ligament this month. She will be off the ice for at least two months, maybe more. Who knows if she will be able to practice full out in time to get ready for the last GP.

Other skaters who had surgery for the same injury are Kwan and Lipinski. Neither returned to competitive skating post surgery.

Kwan was able to get back some of her jumps within a year after surgery, but decided to go to college instead of returning to competition. Lipinski retired from competitive skating after her OGM because of hip pain (same problem) and after surgery, she returned to SOI too soon and developed arthritis in that hip. She had limited jumping ability after the surgery, and that became more and more limited as time went on. After a year or two skating in pain, she retired from show skating when she was 20.

mskater93

Record Breaker
As for Nagasu, who thinks that perhaps if Alissa isn't ready to go at NHK that Nagasu might get that invite off the sub list?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm more hopeful for the TBA's still out there for Mirai: Canada, China, & France. I'm fairly sure that Russia will fill its TBA with its own skaters, but the other 3 programs are fairly weak. It's possible that Canada may pick Phaneuf again, but if they didn't already, I don't know why they would later.

How long before the event is it considered too late to fill the spot at NHK?

I know that in the past, it often happen3d that when skaters withdrew, the spot was left empty?

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Alissa asked for just one GP event because she's having surgery on her torn hip ligament this month.

In the interest of accuracy:
The labrum is basically a "cushion" of cartilage at the edge of the hip socket. It is not a ligament.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm more hopeful for the TBA's still out there for Mirai: Canada, China, & France. I'm fairly sure that Russia will fill its TBA with its own skaters, but the other 3 programs are fairly weak. It's possible that Canada may pick Phaneuf again, but if they didn't already, I don't know why they would later.

I know that in the past, it often happend that when skaters withdrew, the spot was left empty?

I'm pretty sure China will give its host pick to Zijun Li (she only has one event, at NHK.) And if not Zijun, Bingwa Geng. Mae Bernice Meite is a good contender for the French TBA spot (she is at SA only right now).

I think Mirai is likely to end up on Canada or Japan, esp. if Alissa cannot make her comeback.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hoping that Nagasu gets a chance to prove herself- and takes advantage of the opportunity. However, it's worth it to note that she usually peaks later in the season and typically doesn't start strong. She needs to get out there so she can set her peak for the right time.

Also hoping that Wagner can keep it up and Gold can make a statement. And above all, hoping that the three mentioned all stay healthy...

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure China will give its host pick to Zijun Li (she only has one event, at NHK.) And if not Zijun, Bingwa Geng. Mae Bernice Meite is a good contender for the French TBA spot (she is at SA only right now).

I think Mirai is likely to end up on Canada or Japan, esp. if Alissa cannot make her comeback.

From my reading of the Chineseboards, ZiJun is a home favourite, so I am also thinking she will get CoC.

I hope the best for Mirai I really do. Too much talent going to waste otherwise.

I know that in the past, it often happend that when skaters withdrew, the spot was left empty?

Here's what the rules say in the case of substitutions for withdrawals.

It is mandatory that an Organizing Member replaces any skater/couple who withdraws from the event with an alternate up to fourteen (14) days prior to the draw for that event. At the seven day mark, consideration will be given by the ISU Grand Prix Coordination Group to leaving a position vacant because of visa requirements or unduly high travel costs that would be incurred by the Organizing Member.

If I recall correctly, for 2004 Skate America Alissa Czisny was tapped at the very last mnuite to substitute for Michelle Kwan. Czisny was sent because she was the only skater who lived close enough (to Pittsburgh) to get there in time. (She finished fourth).

The next year I believe she was also a last minute replacement for Michelle and Sasha, respectively, at Skate America (2nd) and Skate Canada (1st). There was an article in Blades on Ice joking that Alissa kept her bags packed that whole season, waiting for the midnight call. :laugh:

Barring late withdrawals for medical reasons, August 15th is the time by which invited skaters must confirm their participation. I couldn't find any rule about when all TBA's must be filled.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Kwan was able to get back some of her jumps within a year after surgery, but decided to go to college instead of returning to competition.

I remember Kwan, I think it was at 2009 Nationals, indicating that she could attempt a comeback and needed to get in LP shape. Does anyone know how close she got to a full set or triple jumps before she abandoned her plans?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's worth remembering that these days, skaters do not need "a full set of triples." Certainly our current world champion does not have one, nor did YuNa Kim at the end, nor does Mao.

So if Alissa can't do a loop, for example, that will be fine.

Brenda

On the Ice
It's worth remembering that these days, skaters do not need "a full set of triples." Certainly our current world champion does not have one, nor did YuNa Kim at the end, nor does Mao.

So if Alissa can't do a loop, for example, that will be fine.

Alissa hasn't been able to put a triple salchow back into her program successfully this past season though, so she's already at a disadvantage. She can't afford to lose another triple on top of that, so she does need to get all the triples she did have back. Carolina was lucky that when injury forced her to stop doing lutz and flip, her other triples were solid enough, and she wasn't very competitive until she got the flip back.

b-man

Final Flight
Am in Thailand for 2 weeks, little time for internet. It appears SA is weak field, set up for Wagner to make strong run at GP final. She should easily finish top 3, but will have tougher time at TEB. Likewise, NHK has set up Asada and Suzuki against weak field, including 3 second tier Russians. It looks like Suzuki will have easiest path to GP final. CoC and TEB have the toughest ladies fields, with Kostner, Ando, and Julia L. matched in both of these. It will be an accomplishment to medal at either Coc or TEB, especialy if Ando and Asada are in form. Hopefully Nagasu will be in top form in the tough Coc, otherwise she will be buried in 5th or 6th. I think the Russians are underestimating the US trio of Gold, Zhang and Zawad, apparently expecting a Leonova/ Sotnikova win. Sotnikova was beatable last year, and Gold/Zhang could surprise in Russia. I note the US had 14 slots last year, so far 12 this year. Slots appear harder to get with return of Ando and addition of Julia L. and Gold. Should be a great season.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Nagasu's already on the list for China, so she can't get a TBA there...

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We all know Gracie can beat Sotnikova. She did at Jr Worlds and also beat her in the SP at the WTT. Only reason she finished behind Sotnikova overall was a subpar LP for Gracie but she knows she can beat her.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Trust me: Skate Canada is NOT going to name a US skater as a host pick over a Canadian lady. NOT going to happen.

Mirai will be #1 on the substitute list, so chances are good that she will get a second event. Last season, there were only 3 ladies' withdrawals, but in 2010, there were 10.

rosem

Spectator
Douglas Razzano was slightly higher on the ISU Season Best scores list -- #38 (192.95 at Skate America) to Mahbanoozadeh's #41 (185.58 at NHK Trophy) and he also placed 7th to Armin's 10th at Skate America -- this could be why Razzano was selected for Skate America as a host pick, but I'm just guessing here.

That's great to hear! Armin Mahbanoozadeh recently uploaded a video of him landing a quad toe in practice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjY4zaWW244
He can still prove himself and do well this season if he keeps focused and working hard -- I'm rooting for him!

Thanks Sylvia for posting this video. I just think USFS has been unfair to Armin throughout and it must be hard for him and his family. I have watched Armin and followed him since he was a little boy. I believe in him and think he has SO much to contribute to the sport. He finally found the right team and place to train and its showing in his practice as people who see him describing so am just keeping fingers cross that he won’t give up.

doctor2014

On the Ice
How did Jorik Hendrickx get that assignment? He’s not in the top 24 on the SB list. :confused:
So van der Perren really retired? I miss him…