Debbi Wilkes and Guy Revell | Golden Skate

Debbi Wilkes and Guy Revell

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Over the years Debbi Wilkes has been a real "link" to figure skating for me. I know not everyone here is wild about her, but I must say "Debbi knows her stuff" especially when it comes to pairs. I always enjoy her commentary for pairs in particular. She does not hesitate to point out mistakes (even when made by our fellow Canadian skaters) and gives full credit where credit is due.

I thought this might be interesting about her background as a pair skater since we only see her rinkside now. One forgets that she once was a skater!

Debbi Wilkes & Guy Revell

This exceptional pair's amateur career included a great deal of success in a short period of time. First meeting at a Unionville Skating Carnival in 1958, they made it atop the podium as Canadian Junior Pairs Champions in their first season together. Exhibiting an innovative style that saw them pioneer several techniques, including the double loop twist, they were crowned Canadian Champions in 1963 & 64 and North American Champions in 1963.

Missing out on the 1963 World Championships due to a serious injury sustained during practice, they returned to the world stage in 1964, for what would be their final season. Only 17 and 21 years of age at the time, they entered the history books as the 1964 Olympic silver and World bronze medallists, becoming one of the youngest Canadian pairs ever to have claimed such success.

Remaining involved in skating, Guy joined the professional ranks and spent time coaching until his untimely passing in 1981, with Debbi going on to serve as a coach, author and television commentator for many years.

http://www.skatecanada.ca/english/about/fame/images/revellwilkes.jpg

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
SusanBeth-
Thanks for sharing those clips. Boy has pair skating changed over the years. No jumps but they looked like a very smooth pair.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
That changing edge set of spread eagles into the throw was wonderful, and her head is nearly on the ice in the death spiral.

Great post :)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
SusanBeth:

Great clips! Thanks for the info. It is wonderful to look back at a piece of Canadian figure skating history. Thanks again. Great stuff!