Miki Ando is already better than MK, Sasha, Fumie!!! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Miki Ando is already better than MK, Sasha, Fumie!!!

Fossi

Final Flight
windspirit said:
Fossi, dear, it's New Year's Eve. Why don't you give it a rest? You'll have the whole year for your Sasha-nitpicking (see how diplomatic I can be? ;) ). Besides, Taan has already said Sasha is the best. Who isn't? :laugh:

Windspirit (do I know you?)
I am teasing, just as the original poster is teasing. Take some time, get some sleep, and then come back and re-read this thread. I'll expect my apology in the morning after your lucky charm cereal and orange juice. :)

windspirit

On the Ice
Fossi said:
Windspirit (do I know you?)
I am teasing, just as the original poster is teasing. Take some time, get some sleep, and then come back and re-read this thread. I'll expect my apology in the morning after your lucky charm cereal and orange juice. :)
Yes, you've been teasing like that in quite a few threads where Sasha was mentioned. I did get some sleep (a lot of it, actually), thank you, but I don't eat cereal or drink orange juice (grapefruit one is so much better), and I'm not a morning person, so I'm sorry if I wasn't here to witness your apology.

Btw, I was teasing myself, but I'm not expecting my apology for it (that would look strange, wouldn't it?) ;)

Bynx

On the Ice
Re: MIKI

MasterF said:
If skating was a truly bonafide sport, Miki would win Worlds hands down. She is an incredible jumper.

Well then, that Top Jump competition would be great for her!
Maybe they should divide the sport into two sections,
Figure skating and Jump skating(for lack of a better term).

Figure skating focuses on the whole package.
Jump skating focuses only on the jumps like the
Top Jump competition.

Nothing against Ando but,
I'm just not ready to jump on the bandwagon!

ice_magick

Rinkside
generalizations

It's true that at Ando's age, Kwan was a world champion, Hughes was an Olympic champion, etc. However, Hughes' first Worlds (in 1999) was before the world-junior-medal provision of the Lipinski rule was canceled out. And Kwan won her first world title without the Lipinski Rule even in the picture. 16-year-old skaters of the post-Lipinski generation, such as Onda, Yukina Ota, Carolina Kostner and those, just aren't being given a chance as young skaters to get the same kind of exposure to quality skating that Kwan and Lipinski did as 13-year-old world team members. Therefore, Ando, Ota and company should not be expected to have eye-popping medalist results like Kwan and Lipinski at their age. Because the judges simply don't know them.

MasterF

Rinkside
15 year old rule

Dear Ice Magik

Thank You for reminding us of that stupid rule. While I do not like really young champions, I do belief that if you are ready to compete with the big guns then you are ready. Every one peaks at a different age. I felt really sorry that Nam and Cohen did not get to go to Worlds when they earned that second spot at Nationals fair and square. While Cohen has remained rather healthy we all see that Nam may never make it back to top form. She will never be able to write in her resume that she was a world competitor. I also feel sorry for her parents who have spend thousands of dollars in this sometime cruel sport.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Re: 15 year old rule

Originally posted by MasterF ... I do belief that if you are ready to compete with the big guns then you are ready. Every one peaks at a different age...

I actually like age restrictions is both figure skating and gymnastics. I don't like to see little girls pushing to learn big tricks before they hit puberty, grow hips, and can no longer rotate as well. I'd much rather see fewer revolutions, real artistry, and not as many broken bodies along the way.

MasterF - How many under sixteen year olds are ready to compete with the big ones? I really don't think they can compete with the top tier skaters from all over the world. I'm not even whelmed with the 16 year olds. It takes time to get depth into artistry. Just ask any artist.

The only possible way is with a good PR man getting the kid as much publicity as possible while the kid lands a 3x3 (or a quad) in a pink ruffled Shirley Temple dress and a huge smile. Of course, that kid is going to use faux passion because it hasn't learned what passion is yet. But he/she will be soooo cuuuute.

for me, it's just not senior material but it does make me think about possible future championships for the kid.

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
Seems to me Japanese Nationals was something of a splatfest. Suguri finished 2nd with only two clean triples in her FS. Miki was far from perfect, but she did land more (and more difficult) jumps than the other competitors. Her presentation marks weren't all that great, though.

It's too soon to crown Miki Queen of the World. She's been skating mostly against juniors so far, and has not competed against the top senior skaters yet.

Let's remember that last year, Carolina Kostner was being proclaimed the next Olympic champion. This year, she's been battling the puberty monster and her jumping has regressed.