Skate Detroit 2012 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Skate Detroit 2012

emdee

Final Flight
I dont think the MT&M program is boring at all - it will surely develop finesse as the season progresses. I agree that she has developed very nicely. We forget sometimes that they have hardly been together very long and she is not an established paris competititor.

I think they can show more connection in this program - this is what diffrentiates them from the athletic skating of Duhamel and Radford.

deetrakt

Rinkside
Re: Gracie Gold's "Hernando's Hideaway" short program To me, she's made progress from her performance and musical interpretation at winter and spring competitions. She's only turning 17 this month and athleticism comes naturally to her, while the rest takes more work. Those who know her stress her work ethic and drive, which bode well for her future growth.

deetrakt

Rinkside
OK, now that I've posted a "plain" first message, here's a link to the original "Hernando's Hideaway", from the Broadway musical, "The Pajama Game". This number responded to the craze for Latin dance rhythms in the 50's.

From the movie version, with Carol Haney and John Raitt (Bonnie's father): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLuwyTzAQH8

mskater93

Record Breaker
Re: Gracie Gold's "Hernando's Hideaway" short program To me, she's made progress from her performance and musical interpretation at winter and spring competitions. She's only turning 17 this month and athleticism comes naturally to her, while the rest takes more work. Those who know her stress her work ethic and drive, which bode well for her future growth.
She is VERY hard working. In an hour with her yesterday on the ice, she was working SP and did it at least 3 times. It's very cute in person (and very speedy) and she clearly enjoys skating this program.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Definitely it's intended as another 3Lz, not a 2Lz (if you are doing a double anything intentionally, it's probably an Axel as a 2Lz is only worth 1.9 points). The 2A should have been 2A+2T+2Lo (right now). I believe the 3F+1/2Lo+3T is intended to eventually be 3F+1/2Lo+3S. Program is VERY new still, so it's not settled completely yet nor is it second nature like last year's so you have performed it a "million" times yet. Skate Detroit was her first outing with it competitively, so pacing and where the rough spots are competitively are probably now identified.

But the 3f-1/2lo-3s gets counted as a 3 jump combo yes? I know if you do that sort of combo with a 3lo on the end, it's a sequence because the free leg touches down for the takeoff of the loop, but in the salchow, it does not, so it gets counted as a 3 jump combo. I doubt she'd do a 2lz, so the planned combo is probably 2a-2t. If she did 2a-3t she'd be zayaking as she is already repeating 3lz and 3f in the program.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Yes, that would be her 3 jump, so then her 2A combo would be 2A+2T (although she's practiced it as a 3 jump also when she misses the 3F combo). She wants 2 3Lz and 2 3F as those are the highest scoring jumps versus 2 3Ts (since she hits those more consistently than the 3Lo) which makes 3F+1/2Lo+3S a good option for her (and I've seen it - it's there)

ForeverFish

Medalist
Hmm, am I the only person who enjoyed Gracie's SP for this season? I felt that the sassy element added by Hernando's Hideaway suited her style much better than the quiet intensity of last year's SP, which was to a remix of The Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Hmm, am I the only person who enjoyed Gracie's SP for this season? I felt that the sassy element added by Hernando's Hideaway suited her style much better than the quiet intensity of last year's SP, which was to a remix of The Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy.
It was VERY well received at both Skate Milwaukee and Skate Detroit. I heard from other skaters from our area that she got a SO for her SP at Detroit. I LOVE it in person, it's got an intensity to it along with a playfulness. I also LOVED her SP last season. I think her LPs both last year and this miss the mark of her personality.