Igor Shpilband fired | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Igor Shpilband fired

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It isn't like V&M are not capable of doing a great Finnstep; they are--it's likely to be more a problem for tall, longgetty teams (like W&P), and for younger teams that have never competed the Finnstep-like I&K and S&S (in which case, S&S, as a relatively short, quick-footed team also has an edge over I&K).

heyhey

On the Ice
It isn't like V&M are not capable of doing a great Finnstep; they are--it's likely to be more a problem for tall, longgetty teams (like W&P), and for younger teams that have never competed the Finnstep-like I&K and S&S (in which case, S&S, as a relatively short, quick-footed team also has an edge over I&K).

Hi Doris - You are correct that V/M are certainly capable of doing the Finnstep but as you pointed out taller teams like Weaver/Poje or Hubbell/Donohue and even Chock/Bates may have a harder time with it...

nylynnr

On the Ice
Some think Igor was "the" technician in Canton, I'm not certain that is the case. Marina was fifth in the world in ice dance and likely has more knowledge of compulsory (pattern) dances, i.e., the Yankee Polka. Johnny Johns works with the teams on their lifts and spins. Associate coaches can be added as needed. Plus, the number of teams isn't nearly as great as it has been in past years.

KKonas

Medalist
It sounds to me like Marina did an "either he goes or I go" to the rink after assuring herself that if forced to move, D&W, S&S and V&M would stay with the rink. However, it would be wise if they all found a technical coach as well, particularly for the Yankee Polka and to critique step sequences.

Absolutely! No way Igor would have been "fired" otherwise because management already said that their decision had nothing to do with his taking on younger teams. Igor saved Marina's butt when she was fired from DSC. Although asked to stay at DSC, Igor stood by Marina and took her with him to Canton. A fine way for Marina to thank him for his loyalty.

callalily

On the Ice
Absolutely! No way Igor would have been "fired" otherwise because management already said that their decision had nothing to do with his taking on younger teams. Igor saved Marina's butt when she was fired from DSC. Although asked to stay at DSC, Igor stood by Marina and took her with him to Canton. A fine way for Marina to thank him for his loyalty.
Wasn't Igor quoted in one of the recent articles as saying that he felt that he needed Marina to take teams to the next level (Olympic success)? Both having trained under the same dance school in Russia, and given Marina's understanding of the environment/needs at the highest level of competition (with G&G), I imagine Igor felt she'd be an ideal partner in achieving bigger dreams (and she was!). I expect that's why he left DSC with her.

callalily

On the Ice
You also have to wonder if Shpilband did politick to have the Yankee Polka and the Finnstep as SDs (which do benefit D/W and S/S), is the Finnstep for the Olympic year a lock already?

V/M don't seem to like the Yankee Polka, but V/M are capable of skating an excellent one - they've always been strong CD skaters.

They love quicksteps and I think the Finnstep will be wonderful for them.

DianaSelene

Medalist
It sounds to me like Marina did an "either he goes or I go" to the rink after assuring herself that if forced to move, D&W, S&S and V&M would stay with the rink. However, it would be wise if they all found a technical coach as well, particularly for the Yankee Polka and to critique step sequences.

I might be wrong but it seems many people on this board say that Shpilband is the technical coach of the two? But how do we know that? I always thought the Shpilband/Zoueva partnership was kind of equal in knowledge/skill. What were his accomplishments with US teams before he was with Zoueva and did Zoueva have any before coaching together with him?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

If you go by what the management said and the skaters' decisions, Shpilband was weak on loyalty to the "kids" he had with Zoueva. If you go by what Zoueva said, Shpilband was weak on loyalty to his business partner with whom he had tremendous and on going success. Right now he gets no loyalty from anybody, deservedly or not. Skaters have to decide what's best for themselves, which should also be the priority of their coaches. When a coach can't give his best to his student, it's time to resign or be fired.

Macassar88

Medalist
I'd like to point out that, despite what the articles are saying about no one leaving Canton, nothing is really set in stone yet. I'd like to remind everyone of a coaching change that happened earlier in the off season - that of Bobrova and Soloviev. Around a week before they left for Zhulin, they vehemently denied that they were changing coaches. Even Zhulin denied it. So this could all just be PC stuff to keep everything peaceful.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Perhaps the kids should consider taking from another coach, just to see what they can come up with this year. I'd love to see Davis and White and the Shibutanis with Natalia Linichuk! It's too bad that Morozov can't take outsiders, otherwise I'd love to see what he can do for all three teams.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'd like to point out that, despite what the articles are saying about no one leaving Canton, nothing is really set in stone yet. I'd like to remind everyone of a coaching change that happened earlier in the off season - that of Bobrova and Soloviev. Around a week before they left for Zhulin, they vehemently denied that they were changing coaches. Even Zhulin denied it. So this could all just be PC stuff to keep everything peaceful.

I'm sure once Shpilband gets set up properly, he will have students flocking to him. As of now, he has no base to train anybody and who knows where and how long it will take him to establish a good training facility, faculty, and environment? The top skaters preparing for the coming Olympics cannot take chances with him. That's likely part of the strategy and plot against him and it works.

When you seek new opportunity while employed, you either get promoted with a raise or you get fired. The decision to keep the employer in the dark or be open about it depends on your assessment of which outcome is more likely. Shpilband miscalculated.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Some think Igor was "the" technician in Canton, I'm not certain that is the case. Marina was fifth in the world in ice dance and likely has more knowledge of compulsory (pattern) dances, i.e., the Yankee Polka. Johnny Johns works with the teams on their lifts and spins. Associate coaches can be added as needed. Plus, the number of teams isn't nearly as great as it has been in past years.

The Finnstep is a relatively new dance--it was only skated in competition one season (2008-2009), at Europeans & 4CC. No one has a lot of experience with it. P&B finished behind the Kerrs in it at Europeans. Domnina & Shabalin were 5th, behind both, thus showing how hard the dance is for really tall couples. C&L skated it, finishing 7th.

At 4CC's V&M were first, D&W second. W&P were 5th, {behind C&P in 3rd and S&B in 4th, and of course, both teams have split up}.

No other teams have skated it with their current partners in a major ISU event.

The Yankee Polka was first skated in competition as a CD in the 1978/1979 season. Johnny Johns' last season in dance was 1972/1973. He will never have skated it competitvely.

I believe that the work he has done with dancers has been primarily with lifts.

Canton will need to hire a sharp CD coach, at the very least for part time, I think.

Perhaps they can poach Natalia Annenko from DSC?

Last edited:

DianaSelene

Medalist
I think D/S were 5th in CD at Europeans, though, not because they were particularly bad but because he accidentally fell.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think D/S were 5th in CD at Europeans, though, not because they were particularly bad but because he accidentally fell.

But then his fall would reflect the difficulty of the dance, wouldn't it?
Even if D/S performed the dance perfectly a thousand times when practicing at home, it would seem to me that a fall during a major competition is indicative that the dance is challenging.

KKonas

Medalist
Wasn't Igor quoted in one of the recent articles as saying that he felt that he needed Marina to take teams to the next level (Olympic success)? Both having trained under the same dance school in Russia, and given Marina's understanding of the environment/needs at the highest level of competition (with G&G), I imagine Igor felt she'd be an ideal partner in achieving bigger dreams (and she was!). I expect that's why he left DSC with her.

Maybe, but he didn't have to take her. There were and still are plenty of good choreographers willing to work with Igor.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I would love to see Davis and White try another coaching direction - Zhulin or Krylova and Carmangelo or even Linichuk perhaps Yes, I do believe Zueva will need help technically especially with the yankee polka. I wish they wouldn't do the Finnstep for the Olympics - two years of fast paced skating but not the motion of the tango or waltz would be unfortunate though favour Davis and White as well as the Shibutanis.

DianaSelene

Medalist
But then his fall would reflect the difficulty of the dance, wouldn't it?
Even if D/S performed the dance perfectly a thousand times when practicing at home, it would seem to me that a fall during a major competition is indicative that the dance is challenging.

Yes, but sometimes people just make a stupid mistake. Take V/T at worlds- the death spiral is not the hardest element for a pair. It is very rare for pairs to fall on it. But they did and it was probably the first time they ever did so at a competition.

callalily

On the Ice
Maybe, but he didn't have to take her. There were and still are plenty of good choreographers willing to work with Igor.

Yes, but not choreographers who can be an equal partner in preparing top teams for World and Olympic medalist success. Who can travel with the teams and manage them at the highest level. Who know the pressure cooker atmosphere of the Olympics and how to prepare students mentally. Back when he established his partnership with Marina (and left DSC with her), she knew far more about this than Igor - she had seen it all with G&G. Making champions at that level goes far beyond the technical - so much is stress management, mental preparedness, focus, etc.

nylynnr

On the Ice
The Finnstep is a relatively new dance--it was only skated in competition one season (2008-2009), at Europeans & 4CC. No one has a lot of experience with it. P&B finished behind the Kerrs in it at Europeans. Domnina & Shabalin were 5th, behind both, thus showing how hard the dance is for really tall couples. C&L skated it, finishing 7th.

Not sure what recapping these well-known facts has to do with the situation at hand -- everyone is going to be pretty much on a level playing field when it comes time to train the Finnstep. ISU will issue a communication detailing the features it wants to see emphasized, and coaches take it from there. Lots of toe work, and perhaps not the best dance to show skating skill, but that's immaterial, too. I've a feeling charming choreography, music and costumes are going to go a long way here as well. We'll see.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Perhaps the kids should consider taking from another coach, just to see what they can come up with this year. I'd love to see Davis and White and the Shibutanis with Natalia Linichuk! It's too bad that Morozov can't take outsiders, otherwise I'd love to see what he can do for all three teams.

While I LOVE what she did with Melissa and Denis' skating, I really do not want Canton skaters going to Linichuk. She killed the soul of B/A!