Rats-TV alert mostly over- The Tony's are on! | Golden Skate

Rats-TV alert mostly over- The Tony's are on!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Apparently, news to me, Evita is on Broadwaay this season-I adore Evita...missed the presentation. And commercials show Les Miz is a movie-coming Christmas. It has movie stars not broadway stars so, who knows what to expect. Anne hathaway singing I dreamed a dream is well...ok, but. Hugh Jack,man and Russell Crowe. I have the original movie which I never could get into.

I missed two thirds-I don't have a TV guide and just check the guide for that day. My only weekly show was "SMASH'" so I hate to miss the Tony's. So much upheaval. TV so seldom has quality and they don't repeat these award shows and they should. Now on CBS EST. Oh, to be a New Yorker! I am seriously thinking I will get there somehow. I must find a budget hotel. Isn't this the time all New Yorkers head to Hamptons or LI to get out of heat? It would be greta to see a few shows. I remember heyang had tips for cheaper tix but I have to plan. I have not been to NYC in, well decades. But if Evita, Wicked and ? somethin else are there, I could take the bus to the major Terminal, a cab to a theatre district hotel? I am dreaming a little and if I am going to lose my doctor and meds I need to walk, then I will go somewhere fast. Burning at the beach alone is bad. It is so hard to be disabled single as people keep dying and I am getting older. Or I just feel that way. I wonder if therse shows continue all summer and if tix are cheaper if demand goes down? HughnJackman is a broadway star? I used to always read the NY Times arts and entertainment but when you are out of the loop so far, you get envious of how some people are living. NYC or London are surely dream cities for theatre lovers, music lovers, arts lovers.

I know we have New Yorkers here on GS--I am so jealous. The tix prices of everything have gone crazy, tho. Wheter a touring company or the Great white way...ordinary people can't take a family to the ballet or even a big league ball game. How elitist evry good thing is becoming. Ice skating comps are so expensive. 2014 in Boston. I am so mad I did not try harder in 2001. A year after major surgery? I can't recall but I sure wish I had gone. I haven't read the thread with info and prices, but sport and art seem for the wealthy more and more. I have been shocked by some of the theatre prices in Boston for lousy seats!.

Well, Tony's beat the Oscars by a mile. Enjoy if you are tuned in.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Hugh Jackman is a broadway actor as well as movie star.

*shrugs* it takes a LOT of money to put on a production. Yes, the tickets were less 20 years ago, but so were the extra fees and taxes - that the companies pay. That money has to come from somewhere. Inflation sucks, but it is what it is. My photography can be considered elitest if you judge just based on price, but I actually price myself below minimum wage.

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
Hugh Jackman was The Boy from Oz and his one-man Broadway show has been sold out. The guy is a triple threat - sings, dances and acts, as well as just having star quality charisma.

Tickets are expensive and don't get reduced. However, there are discount sites and the TKTs booth. You can also try 'the lottery'. Some shows give away tickets to daily shows. You usually have to get there early. Some are for the 1st x number of people on line.

Others are a random drawing of whoever enters their name that morning for the evening performance - limit is usually 2 tickets per person . For example, my 2 cousins and 1 of their spouses was visiting from CA and really wanted to see Into THe Heights. The show does a lottery - so, we went 1 weekday and all 4 of us entered our names. No luck. We did something else that day. Then we went back the next day. My cousin's name got called - so, we knew we had 2 of 4 tickets. I was just about to go to the box office to buy 2 tickets and 'SCORE", my name was called. The tickets were for 1st row (Note: they really aren't the best seats. Too close and no leg room.)

You have to go to the show's official website to see if they have special daily passes or not. Also, if you have a student id (or look young enough and can talk your way into them), you can get discounted student rush tickets.

Off Broadway is less expensive, of course.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Not that I have any frame of reference, but aside from being able to say "I saw the show on Broadway" you don't miss much by the "off broadway" tours.

Hugh Jackman was The Boy from Oz and his one-man Broadway show has been sold out. The guy is a triple threat - sings, dances and acts, as well as just having star quality charisma.

Tickets are expensive and don't get reduced. However, there are discount sites and the TKTs booth. You can also try 'the lottery'. Some shows give away tickets to daily shows. You usually have to get there early. Some are for the 1st x number of people on line.

Others are a random drawing of whoever enters their name that morning for the evening performance - limit is usually 2 tickets per person . For example, my 2 cousins and 1 of their spouses was visiting from CA and really wanted to see Into THe Heights. The show does a lottery - so, we went 1 weekday and all 4 of us entered our names. No luck. We did something else that day. Then we went back the next day. My cousin's name got called - so, we knew we had 2 of 4 tickets. I was just about to go to the box office to buy 2 tickets and 'SCORE", my name was called. The tickets were for 1st row (Note: they really aren't the best seats. Too close and no leg room.)

You have to go to the show's official website to see if they have special daily passes or not. Also, if you have a student id (or look young enough and can talk your way into them), you can get discounted student rush tickets.

Off Broadway is less expensive, of course.

I think Heyang means not the road production that travels to other cities but a kind of theater called "off Broadway," which has different shows. They even have a different award, the Obie. The productions are smaller and sometimes more unconventional. There's even a kind of theater called "off-off Broadway," which can be very cutting edge. I just looked up "off-Broadway," and it apparently means a venues with a seating capacity of from 100 to 499. So off-off Broadway can be a theater with fewer than 100 seats. Obviously the kind of production mounted at such a theater will be smaller, less lavish, generally with fewer actors.

The so-called road company of a Broadway show, by contrast, is probably the same show as the Broadway one, for example the tour of Wicked, with a large cast and, if it's a musical, good singers and musicians.

And drat, I missed the entire Tony Awards program. I'll look for fragments online. I don't have a TV Guide either, and I was on the phone for part of it with a high school friend who had visited. I hadn't seen her for years. So I have no regrets.

Hugh Jackman is wonderful, isn't he. Sometimes on public TV they show a production he did in London of Oklahoma. The guy is phenomenal.

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
Yes, I was not referring to travelling productions when I wrote Off-Broadway. Two totally different things.

I usually don't think of travelling productions. Since I live within an hour of NYC, there aren't many travelling Broadway'eseque theater shows in my area.

Some shows (i.e. Avenue Q) do start off-broadway before moving to the bigger Broadway theaters, as well. Also, some shows are better in a more intimate environment.

TDF is a program that encourages the support of the arts. Review the link to see the discounts available to members http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=59& do=v
It might be worthwhile to join TDF if you are one of the following and enjoy various theater productions:

•full-time students (high school or above)
•full-time teachers (primary or junior high school faculty, high school faculty, university or college faculty, teacher of drama/dance/music)
•recent graduates (26 years of age and under)
•full-time union members
•retirees (no longer working and at least 62 years of age or older)
•full-time civil service employees
•full-time staff members of not-for-profit organizations
•full-time non-exempt employees
•performing arts professionals
•members of the armed forces
•full-time clergy

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah I took a guess as to which "off broadway" you were referring to... it seems anymore most of the new musicals/plays on broadway get their start off broadway... or at least the ones I'm aware of have their start off broadway...