New article about Sarah | Golden Skate

New article about Sarah

CassidyL

Rinkside
nymkfan51 said:
This is the first time I've seen something in print about a rift with Robin. Wonder what that is all about.

I think she pretty much told us what it is all about.

"Robin and I had really different goals last season. We went our separate ways."

They not only had different goals, they had really different goals! I can't imagine what that would feel like to a coach with only one student. Must have been very disappointing to Robin.

Best of luck to both Sarah, and Robin. And thanks for this link!

Hersch's article is well written and believable. I get the feeling that Sarah is a sensible young lady who missed all the fun as being the girl next door. She's enjoying that now by making friends in Yale and still keelping up with figure skating by phone calls to Alexei and Takeshi.

And there is the POSSIBILITY of 2006. I would love her to defend her title. It's been a while since anyone did that.

Robin will do fine with Sasha so the 'different goals' will be better understood.

What exactly is Barishnikov doing at Yale? Opening a new arts center in New York like New York needs one. There's Museum Row, Broadway, BAM, and of course, Lincoln Center. There is also a lack of space in Manhattan. Maybe some place in Queens?

Joe

Spirit

On the Ice
Knowing how drama makes good copy, and how often reporters embellish things, all sorts of red flags flew up when I read the word "rift." It just seemed to come out of nowhere, with no supporting information at all.

Maybe there is a rift, maybe not, but I didn't get that impression from the rest of the article, nor from Sarah's words. I'm gonna let that one pass for now.

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
I'm glad that she's enjoying college life. I'm also happy she's not leaving skating completely behind! That would be really exciting if she came back in 2006!

nymkfan51

Medalist
I understand that they had different goals, but they both seemed to know that early on. I mean Robin often talked about Sarah wanting a college experience and such ... just not sure why that would have to cause a rift. I had gotten the impression that Robin would support whatever decision Sarah made. To not even have spoken since April sounds odd to me. Even friends that move away usually get in touch at the holidays if nothing else.

JMO, but no way do I see her returning in 2006.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Wishing Sarah the best...

Sounds like she's really enjoying her time as just a "regular gal" as part of her college experience.

Even if Sarah made her intentions to put skating aside for the college experience abundantly clear, I bet it was still very emotional for her closest supporters to deal with that reality. I'm sure Sarah's skating life was also the life of her coach and some of her family members. So even though they may have all known that decision was coming, I'm sure it was still a big empty hole for Robin & probably family too.

It sounds like Robin and Sarah were very close, and I sure hope for both of them that they can resume their friendship on a different plane at some point.

A comeback effort would sure be fun to watch if Sarah decides to do it!

DG

Fossi

Final Flight
Great article on Sarah with some interesting information. I am happy for Sarah. She will make a great doctor someday. Maybe I'll see her at the Olympics next time? I will miss her. She will always be my favorite skater. No other skater will do what she did.

lavender

Record Breaker
I figure Sarah was really enjoying herself in college. I think she will be a great doctor if she continues that way. However I know she mentioned 2006 but I don't see her coming back. I think if she tried she would come back in shape and ready. I just think it all will be in vain if she's expecting to have to same results before last year. I don't think she wants to come back and have results like 2003.

Sarah had a once in a lifetime experience that not even she could duplicate again.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Interesting & indepth article (thanks for posting it nymkfan51...

Sounds like she's having a blast at university......brings back memories of my own when I was going to KU......once-in-a-lifetime memories. :) I do, however, detect a note of maybe sadness, which is natural (especially around the holidays). It will take some time getting used to doing something else, especially for one whom has dedicated her life to skating (literally).......can't even begin to imagine what that is like since I've never walked in her skates........but, IMHO, a good thing for her to do would be to get ahold of someone like Debi Thomas. Debi's young, still fresh from her medical studies, and would be able to relate better to Sarah IMHO. This is assuming, of course, that she may be feeling a bit melancholy for skating and is still adjusting to being a full-time Yale student, as opposed to a full-time skater.

Best of Luck to Little One in whatever she decides.......once a fan always a fan is my motto.......and I support her in whatever she decides to do (despite my minor breakdown last year; lol :D ). It's truly been a joy to watch her blossom over the years ~ can still recall her childlike joyful routine to "JFK" in 1998 (thanks to a wonderful Sarah Fan over at the old FSW whom sent me this routine in 1999) ~ and then next thing you know, she was all grown up & skating at the Olympics. Ah, what memories...

In closing, I'd like to post the stats that I have kept over the years on the phenom known as Sarah Hughes (though I'll always think of her as Little One; btw it's important to note that she has medalled in ALL the competitions she has ever entered in her 4 yrs. as a Sr. except at 1999/2000/2003 Worlds, 1999 Sr. Nationals & 1999 SA, impressive record):

SARAH HUGHES (USA, 5/2/85, 5' 5 1/2")

1998 Jr. Nationals - 1st ***joining two other US Olympic Gold Medalists ever to do so ~ Carol Heiss '52 & Tenley Albright '50***

1998 Jr. Worlds - 2nd

1999 Sr. Nationals - 4th
2000 Sr. Nationals - 3rd
2001 Sr. Nationals - 2nd
2002 Sr. Nationals - 3rd
2003 Sr. Nationals - 2nd

1999 Sr. Worlds - 7th
2000 Sr. Worlds - 5th
2001 Sr. Worlds - 3rd
2002 Sr. Worlds - N/A
2003 Sr. Worlds - 6th

2001 GPF - 3rd
2002 GPF - 3rd

1999 Sr. GP - 4th SA & 3rd TL ***medalled her first time out on the senior grand prix circuit, joining the likes of only a few handfuls ever to do so (e.g. Tara Lipinski, Kristi Yamaguchi, Debi Thomas, Elaine Zayak, Jennifer Kirk, Carolina Kostner)***
2000 Sr. GP - 2nd SA, 2nd NC, 3rd COR
2001 Sr. GP - 2nd SA, 2nd TL, 1st SC
2002 Sr. GP - N/A
2003 Sr. GP - N/A

2002 Olympics - 1st ***first American female to ever land two 3/3s & first woman to do so at the Olympics (along with three other solo triples; perfect skate). Also, first to do so without having won Nationals or Worlds beforehand (never been done before)***

Also want to make note of Sarah's phenomenal record when it comes to the 3/3 combos. (along w/the ones where she completed 7 triples as well):

1999 Sr. Nationals - 3R/3R (along w/2 other solo triples)
2000 Sr. Nationals - 3S/3R (along w/3 other solo triples)
2000 Skate America - 3S/3R (along w/4 other solo triples)
2000 GPF - 3R/3R 1st program; 3S/3R 2nd program (along w/4 other solo triples)
2001 Sr. Worlds - 3S/3R ***(along w/5 other solo triples; 1st time she ever landed 7 triples in the FS)***
2001 Skate America - 3S/3R (along w/4 other solo triples)
2001 Skate Canada - 3S/3R (along w/4 other solo triples)
2001 GPF - 3S/3R ***(along w/5 other solo triples; 2nd time she ever landed 7 triples in the FS)***
2002 Sr. Nationals - no 3/3s, but 3rd time she ever landed 7 solo triples in the FS
2002 Olympics - 3S/3R & 3T/3R ***(along w/3 other solo triples; 1st time she ever landed two 3/3s as well as being the 4th time she ever landed 7 triples in the FS - one of the most technically difficult & high risk programs ever performed)!***

Peace, Love & Snowed-In, Nadine :eek: :)^D

P.S. I have always felt that Sarah has it in her, if she so wished to do so, to skate even better than she did at the 2002 Olympics (no lie).

"For more powerful, more beautiful by far, than all the eons of sadness & cruelty which had come before...was that one tiny, crystalline second...of laughter. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God."
:love:HAPPY NEW YEAR TO MY FELLOW SARAH FANS (especially Fossi)!!!:love:

Last edited:

LBC

On the Ice
If Sarah does comeback I think it would be next year so she'd have some time to get back into shape and get back into competiting. Maybe not full time but at least part time. Coming back in the olympic year could be hard with all the pressure and she would have been off the ice for 2 years. It is something for someone who has been practicing to comebackbut it sounds like Sarah hasn't been doing that much at all. She wasn't in great shape last year she is probably in even worse(I"m not saying the girl has pigged out and is fat but competitve shape) now. It does sound like she misses skating so hopefully she'll comeback and do some shows next year. She is of course without a coach now but I'm sure she'd find a new one. It is all up to her of course but I don't think she'd comeback unless she truly felt she could win another OGM.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Spirit said:
Thank you for the statistics, but what is a 3R?

Hi Spirit, :)

It stands for the triple loop jump.....the jump was named after a fellow named Rittenburger........hope that makes sense.

Peace, Love & Off I Go (get out my way snow, lol :D )! Nadine

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
If Sarah competed in the next Olympics, that would be marvelous and terrific! I would love to see her battle it out with Michelle, Sasha and others. Thanks for the article! :D