ISU Congress Updates | Page 2 | Golden Skate

ISU Congress Updates

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Is she the only one who is affected this year? If that is the case, what a strange rule- keeps only one girl off the grand prix. Does she still have time to sign up for junior grand prix?

It looks to me to be a standardization measure, not targeting anybody in particular in this particular season.

eta. Maybe having only one skater being affected is a good time to implement this.

Last edited:

DianaSelene

Medalist
It looks to me to be a standardization measure, not targeting anybody in particular in this particular season.

I'm not going to say that ISU did this in order to target Lipnitskaya. But I do think it is stupid that they decided to pass it so late. The girl already got two assignments, was probably hoping to get ready for them, and they just take her off of the list. Wouldn't it make more sense to wait until next season or make this change before the assignments were handed out?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
DianeSelene, yeah if she has to go back to the JGP, she can. Entries must be submitted a month before the event in question.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
One can read a summary of the major decisions made in this congress on the official ISU site's article.

COP changes that are explicitly mentioned in the article: There will now be a level 0 for elements, and it will have a base value. Then there's talk of some "harmonization" of the rules across disciplines. Something like that was mentioned in the proposals for this congress, I'm not sure the exact details of what passed, though. All in all, it doesn't seem like the COP is significantly changed.

And the big change that vocal music will, at long last, be allowed in singles and pairs? :clap::yay: But only after the Sochi Olympics? :frown: I can't wait that long! By then I'll be old and unable to appreciate popular music of any kind. :laugh:

Krislite

Medalist
And the big change that vocal music will, at long last, be allowed in singles and pairs? :clap::yay: But only after the Sochi Olympics? :frown: I can't wait that long! By then I'll be old and unable to appreciate popular music of any kind. :laugh:

It's only two years from now. And who knows...by then Justin Bieber will probably be passé so maybe skaters will opt to skate to something else.

skfan

Final Flight
In 2014, vocal music will be permitted for singles and pairs skating.

that's great. now we won't need the years to indicate which olympics anymore. instead of, say, the 2012 olympics, we can have the 'someone like you' olympics.

shame it didn't happen years ago, when we could have had the 'like a virgin' olympics. or the 'macarena' olympics. now, even when there's no commentary, i'll still hit that mute button 9 times out of 10 :laugh:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
that's great. now we won't need the years to indicate which olympics anymore. instead of, say, the 2012 olympics, we can have the 'someone like you' olympics.

shame it didn't happen years ago, when we could have had the 'like a virgin' olympics. or the 'macarena' olympics. now, even when there's no commentary, i'll still hit that mute button 9 times out of 10 :laugh:

We don't refer to the 1988 Olympics as the Carmen Olympics. Of course, it was really the Brians' Olympics.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wish the ISU would have made the specification that ONE singles/pairs program could use vocal music. I'd hate to see classical and opera music disappear entirely.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
I wish the ISU would have made the specification that ONE singles/pairs program could use vocal music. I'd hate to see classical and opera music disappear entirely.

There might be an influx toward crazy pop programs at first, but I think the emotional impact of opera/classical will draw skaters back...it's easier to appear more professional and polished with that kind of music.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Vocal music :yay: I'm excited to see the what this rule brings. More music to choose from and more spectacular performances, especially from the ladies I hope :thumbsup:

Here is the report from the Swedish delegates(google translate):

* Single skaters get 10% more base value for jumps in the second half of the short programs.

* Sweden did not vote for removing the preliminary rounds.

* " By working with especially USA and Canada we succeeded in driving through lots of our proposals." :laugh:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
* " By working with especially USA and Canada we succeeded in driving through lots of our proposals." :laugh:

:laugh: This is like NDP, the third political party of Canada, which is the most powerful when there is a minority government. Or the swing votes, or supporters of conceded candidates, in an election. Nice politicking, Sweden. :thumbsup:

Serious Business

Record Breaker

Um, what? There is no opera music in singles/pairs now, unless the lyrics are in Latin. In fact, it was the use of opera music in 1989 (such as Nessun Dorma and Un Bel Di) that prompted the ban on vocals in pairs and singles. Lifting the ban on vocals is what makes it possible for real opera music to make it back into those disciplines.

* Single skaters get 10% more base value for jumps in the second half of the short programs.

That is a pretty significant change to the COP that the ISU press release didn't mention! This is going to change the jump layout of most elite skaters, I bet. I wouldn't be surprised if skaters start splitting 1 to 2 or even 0 to 3 in favor of back-loading their jumps!

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was referring to instrumental opera music, not opera vocals. I think opera vocals would be too powerful and overwhelming for most skaters---and too distracting as well. I love opera, but would find myself doing more listening to the voice than watching the skater. And then there are those who hate, hate, hate the voice of a female opera singer---they would be turned way off.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I was referring to instrumental opera music, not opera vocals.

Those are almost always awful. The problem is a lot of those arrangements keep the original orchestration, more or less, and substitute the human voice with some other instrument. However, no other instrument has as much nuance, color, depth, charisma and expression as the human voice does. Thus, if one has heard the original opera piece at all, these instrumental versions sound stripped and compressed, like something that came through a telephone receiver. The only times I've heard instrumental rearrangements of opera pieces work is when they're radically reconfigured into a different song.

So if one is to have actual opera music in competitive figure skating, it requires having the human voice and lyrics. Those are intrinsic parts of the art form. As for some people not liking it, people don't like all sorts of things when it comes to music. Opera or not, vocals or not. They can just deal with it or not.

DianaSelene

Medalist
An example of opera vocals that worked well in a program would be Samson and Delilah from D/W. So maybe it could be good to use vocals. I hated D/C's electric guitar Nessun Dorma and would have much preferred for them to use the original.