Daisuke Takahashi back to Nikolai Morozov | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi back to Nikolai Morozov

emma

Record Breaker
So, I'm over my knee jerk oh no reaction (although, I did log in with some trepidation wondering what today's news would bring...). Whatever helps Dai reach his goals and allows us to continue to see him compete is welcome news for me. But, I do wonder what 'adviser' means...does anyone have insight regarding this? Where will be Dai's base - will there be a summer training site, is it confirmed that Nichol will do choreo??? Can Morozov help technically like with the quad or what does he bring to this training that Dai needs?

Well, if he could be of emotional help for Dai at least, I think this is not that bad a deal. His amazing coach Ms. Nagamitsu would be still around, and it's not like he's gonna use Morozov's choreography nor he's gonna water down Dai's intricate choreography done by Lori or Camerlengo, is he?

deedee1

Record Breaker
Article from Nikkan Sports:

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20120615-00000080-nksports-spo

As jasminum says the above, Daisuke confirms he decided to welcome Nikolai as an advisor to his team.

Dai said, "Took me for a while (whether or not to accept Nikolai's offer), but only two years to Sochi Olympic Games. I have decided to team up with him again because he will help me with good advice towards the Olympics."

Nikolai said, "Daisuke was my most favorite skater to coah among skaters under me. The way we parted ways back then was the least desirable one and I have always regreted it. He was already one of the top skaters back then, but now he has become the skater to be remembered for decades. I need to improve myself in quality in order to a match for the current Daisuke."

In another article Nikolai also said, "I feel sorry for what happened four years ago. I would like to help Daisuke to win another Olympic medal."

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
This may be a smart move by Daisuke cause Morozov does have a reputation for improving the pcs score of his skaters (even though not everybody agrees with it). It may also be good for his confidence level. Morozov is also known to highlight the good points of his skaters. Probably, better pcs scores will help Dai close the gap to Chan. I guess we just have to wait and see.
Still, this news is very surprising considering that their split in 08 wasn't tottaly peaceful.

Edit: Can we expect a new sort of cyber-swan program? :biggrin:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Don't you know? it's a trade! They took Miki, but are giving back Dai. =P
I would go further. Dai is Russia's Plan B. In case if Plush injuries or can't get an OGM due to whatever reason, the Kremlin would rather deliver it to Morozov's favourite pupil than to a Chanadian. It was all planned. :biggrin:

jasminum

Rinkside
Some more news

http://www.asahi.com/sports/update/0615/TKY201206150654.html
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/new...htm?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Daisuke: He decided to put himself in more challenging settings towards Sochi. He was surprised by the offer, but he thought he might need to be in a tough environment where he had to train with other students under Morozov.

Morozov: He’s sorry about four years ago. Daisuke is one of the skaters who will be remembered in the figure skating history. He wants to devote everything he has and help Dai win OGM. Daisuke was the most favorite student. He had regrets about the split so he contacted Dai.

In the earlier news, Morozov said the only medal missing from Dai is OGM. IIRC, Dai hasn’t won GPF gold yet.

My hope is Dai will keep using Wilson's choreography for the coming two seasons.

Okay, this sounds better than the scenario we originally envisioned. Morosov as an advisor rather than as sole coach or choreographer could definitely be an asset. I like his view of Daisuke as a skater who will be remembered for years past his prime skating career. Morosov obviously feels a sense of responsibility toward Daisuke and will do his very best for him.

I hope this arrangement will work out for the benefit of everyone involved!

How would the training go? Is Dai going to Russia or Morozov coming to Japan from time to time to keep eyes on the training?

evangeline

Record Breaker
Morozov: He’s sorry about four years ago. Daisuke is one of the skaters who will be remembered in the figure skating history. He wants to devote everything he has and help Dai win OGM. Daisuke was the most favorite student. He had regrets about the split so he contacted Dai.

Morozov eating some serious crow here! Complete 180-degree turn from only a year or so ago.

emma

Record Breaker
Okay, this sounds better than the scenario we originally envisioned. Morosov as an advisor rather than as sole coach or choreographer could definitely be an asset. I like his view of Daisuke as a skater who will be remembered for years past his prime skating career. Morosov obviously feels a sense of responsibility toward Daisuke and will do his very best for him.

I hope this arrangement will work out for the benefit of everyone involved!

It does sound better and I think many would agree that Morosov has been successful with a number of students. I forgot, actually, that he did the cyber swan, which I really loved and his statements of respect toward Dai's skating are lovely. Wishing the advisership/partnership all the best!
(still wish chan had stayed with Krall, but that's another thread...)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Icenetwork has a more detailed article on the subject.

Takahashi's new competitive programs have not yet been finalized.

"I approached Lori Nichol," he said. "I was very much looking forward to working with her. But the circumstances have since changed."

When asked if Morozov would choreograph his 2012-13 programs, Takahashi demurred.

"Probably not this season," he said. "At this time, we have not decided who will choreograph my new programs."

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I am doing my happy dance right now. Advisory position sounds a lot better to me than what had been speculated before the announcement.

So Lori is not doing Dai's programs. I am thinking he may use Kenji Miyamoto.

evangeline

Record Breaker
When asked if Morozov would choreograph his 2012-13 programs, Takahashi demurred.

"Probably not this season," he said. "At this time, we have not decided who will choreograph my new programs."

PROBABLY NEVER I hope.

Daisuke......ask Tom Dickson and/or David Wilson! You won't regret it!

Hm, I do wonder what happened with Lori.

My guess would be Miyamoto and maybe Camerlengo again.

skfan

Final Flight
Article from Nikkan Sports:

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20120615-00000080-nksports-spo

As jasminum says the above, Daisuke confirms he decided to welcome Nikolai as an advisor to his team.

Dai said, "Took me for a while (whether or not to accept Nikolai's offer), but only two years to Sochi Olympic Games. I have decided to team up with him again because he will help me with good advice towards the Olympics."

Nikolai said, "Daisuke was my most favorite skater to coah among skaters under me. The way we parted ways back then was the least desirable one and I have always regreted it. He was already one of the top skaters back then, but now he has become the skater to be remembered for decades. I need to improve myself in quality in order to a match for the current Daisuke."

In another article Nikolai also said, "I feel sorry for what happened four years ago. I would like to help Daisuke to win another Olympic medal."

very belated thank you to deedee for the detailed translations re: dai and ms. nagamitsu especially.

shocked to hear about morozov. personally, i'm disappointed that i may not get to see a lori nichol program for dai this coming season, though the icenetwork article says dai and advisers have simply not decided.

i'm very confused. if morozov is not primary coach, but he's advising... is dai waiting on morozov's input before committing to choreographers for next season? is that what 'adviser' morozov contributes?

if like let's talk says this is russia's plan B, i kind of like it. :biggrin:

i remember leonova saying in an interview that unfortunately miki ando no longer skates in morozov's group, and now... months later... after reading leonova's happy tweet, i can't help but think that morozov has provided another (even more) inspiring model for the skaters who train in the morozov group.

morozov's quotes surprise me. it reads like he's... how can i say this... figuratively bowing ... not to just dai but to the japanese skating world. sounds to me like someone seeking to make amends, ingratiate, or smooth things over with a very traditional asian counterpart. this is calculated towards the japanese media and public, IMO, unlike the morozov quotes i've read in the past.

*sigh* as long as the decision is dai's... i'm fine with it. after all, i survived MK's coach-less olympic season... ^__^

P.S.
http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2012/06/15/kiji/K20120615003475620.html

unless my eyes deceive me that says *gold* medal. it really must be russia's plan B, after all :laugh:

Last edited:

DianaSelene

Medalist
I do not like Morozov as a choreographer, but I think he is an ok coach. Look what he did with Leonova. She was very excited to work with him and he seems to have given her more confidence which means better skating and more lively performances.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Morosov is a terrific coach in terms of instilling confidence and consistency in his skaters. Takahashi credits him for that and I'd argue Leonova and Amodio improved in that regard as well (though Amodio always had insane confidence). I think what Takahashi loses, though, is more then he gains. Only time will tell.