Michelle Kwan: On Olympic Glory and Giving Back | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan: On Olympic Glory and Giving Back

So smart and humble.

I couldn't agree more on what Michelle says about current judging system. Now skaters have to think, count all the way through their performances while 6.0 system allows you to just let go and perform, enjoy yourself on ice. It's a really tricky system when so few are able to do them both.

I love it when she talks about her transition from skating to the "world." When skating, you get the all the attention but in the real world, it's something very new, different and not very much about yourself. I think Michelle is so gracious and humble in a way that she is able to appreciate what's given to her and take it as her step-up to make better difference in the world. Such a person!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
christinaskater, thanks for posting this great interview -- conducted by the wonderful Robin Roberts. :clap:

Fascinating that Kwan accidentally referred to "when I won" the 1998 Olympics, but not out of any sense of entitlement or arrogance. Quite endearing when she explained (I'm paraphrasing) that she felt good about her performance, and therefore it was a winning moment for her own journey.

And terrific that she is a firm believer in giving back. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

christinaskater

Medalist
I agree with the 1998 Olympics- she wasn't really tentative at all. She gave a flawless and exquisite program for the ages. I have to agree that she was a victim of skating early where judges tend to hold back with the scores. The judges may have misinterpreted her "crying" in the end with frustration. I agree that she felt she had done it and the pressure on her shoulders was lifted as well. From then on, she knew how to react after a winning performance :)

christinaskater

Medalist
If I were a judge in Nagano- it would have been really crazy as well with those 2 timeless and flawless performances :)
There should've been a tie :)
She should have received 5.8 and 5.9 appropriately and no 5.7's in the technical. Had she skated last she would have scored 5.8 and 6.0

I don't want to spark and start another debate- but Tara did deserve 5.9 and (5.8-5.9 for artistry) as much as I love Michelle :( She really gave the skate of her life. I agree that this is reality and this is life! You win some, you lose some.

Had she won the Olympics, we wouldn't have seen some of her other masterpieces on the ice :)

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
It was near impossible to tie under 6.0 with all the tie breaker rules. If she had received 5.8/6.0 and Lipinski 5.9/5.9 from a particular judge, Kwan would have won that judge's card based on the tie breakers.

If I were a judge in Nagano- it would have been really crazy as well with those 2 timeless and flawless performances :)
There should've been a tie :)
She should have received 5.8 and 5.9 appropriately and no 5.7's in the technical. Had she skated last she would have scored 5.8 and 6.0

I don't want to spark and start another debate- but Tara did deserve 5.9 and (5.8-5.9 for artistry) as much as I love Michelle :( She really gave the skate of her life. I agree that this is reality and this is life! You win some, you lose some.

Had she won the Olympics, we wouldn't have seen some of her other masterpieces on the ice :)

Yes, I suspect she would have retired and moved on after Nagano. So if you look at the situation that way, we Michelle fans had a narrow escape by a tenth of a point or so! And though I wish she had stayed with Carroll and then won in 2002, even in that case we would have still missed out, because she likely wouldn't have stuck around and given us that spectacular 2003 Worlds. So things really worked out in a strange way to give her a unique career in terms of longevity and artistry. And Tara, who a remarkable Olympic performance but a brief career curtailed by injury, with no further chance to shine, got her medal. Enough bounty for everyone.

What a wonderful interview, and especially lovely that it's conducted by Robin Roberts, who has an athlete's understanding of what Michelle has lived through. I love the way these two women behave toward each other, with no condescension on either side. There's a pleasant symmetry to their accomplishments and contexts. Both of them have lived through a sports career, have experienced the spotlight, and have dealt with the world of public affairs and politics. Both have a strong relationship with their families. Both are mature and steady and don't count on flash or diva behavior to make their mark. Really a pretty perfect interview on all counts.

When Michelle describes the difference between the skating life of necessary self-absorption and the outward-looking post-skating life, I realize that though I would have loved for her to continue as a pro skater, I'm really happy that she crossed over to another life path instead. It's the right future for her, and I'm thrilled to see what she'll make of it. Not that she couldn't be socially and charitably active as a pro skater, but it wasn't what she wanted, and good for her for understanding herself so clearly and being able to make such wise choices.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What a wonderful interview, and especially lovely that it's conducted by Robin Roberts, who has an athlete's understanding of what Michelle has lived through. I love the way these two women behave toward each other, with no condescension on either side. There's a pleasant symmetry to their accomplishments and contexts. Both of them have lived through a sports career, have experienced the spotlight, and have dealt with the world of public affairs and politics. Both have a strong relationship with their families. Both are mature and steady and don't count on flash or diva behavior to make their mark. Really a pretty perfect interview on all counts.

Robin Roberts ‏@RobinRoberts
Love bringing you @espnW's ‪#InTheGame‬...this week...Michelle Kwan...what a gem! http://www.espnw.com/inthegame
11:57 AM - 14 Jun 12

Please forgive me for going off topic, but you have my wholehearted agreement that Robin Roberts is the best! She is an absolute gem herself -- as a person and as a journalist. Her athletic accomplishments ranged from basketball to tennis to bowling, etc.
Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers as she begins a new round of medical treatment.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the great interview with two very classy ladies! I will keep Robin in my prayers!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Great interview! Praying for a full recovery for Robin, she is a class act.

Thanks for posting the link.

fairly4

Medalist
both ladies are class act, wish she would have won in 1998.
another note --before olympics -i read it came on paper michelle was planning on staying in till 2002. no matter what.

great interview , loved them.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I do feel that Michelle suffered from a bad draw in the FS order in Nagano. If you reversed the skater order of Michelle and Tara, Michelle would have likely won b/c the judges wouldn't have held back with their 6.0s. Both ladies had great skates but, with Tara coming after Michelle, they were able to give her the scores she deserved...that wasn't necessarily the case with Michelle. Her scores were good but had she skated later, her presentation mark would have been higher b/c the "we have to save room" rule wouldn't apply.

I think if Michelle won in 1998 she'd have stayed in until 2002. It wasn't just about the medal for Michelle; she loved to compete. That's not to say her motivation would have been the same. I think had she won in 2002 she would have left at that point as well. During that last quadrennial you could tell her heart wasn't in it as much; she was kinda waiting around for her shot at Torino. She skipped the GP for the most part but still came back sharp at nationals and worlds. I'm glad for her 2003 and 2004 performances...the programs weren't among her masterpieces but the ease with which she delivered Aranajuez at nationals and worlds, and the passion of her Tosca at nationals will go down in history.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great interview. Thanks for posting. Michelle really nails the problem with the IJS.

christinaskater

Medalist
The Michelle Kwan-Frank Carroll and Lori Nichol combination is the best and most prolific super team! Dream combination!

Michelle Kwan, a Living Figure Skating Legend [Korea Today]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdhCnFVjNFg
Meet Michelle Kwan, the role model for Korea's figure skating hero, Kim Yuna. Take a listen about her legendary decade of professional figure skating and her new hopes and dreams.

Lovely story about Yuna's speechless reaction at the first encounter with Michelle:D
You know, there are many skaters who moved onto their next calling oh-so-successfully in history, but IMO MK is the most accomplished and successful skater with their next adventure, best serving her duties.
Look how she just gets excited when talking about Special Olympics!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
MK is just beginning...there are many amazing former skaters...Have you heard of Debi Thomas? Tenley Albright, Scott Hamilton? Scott has worked his butt off in life helping people in every sector, not just sport. There are many more. Some are more quiet about what they do, some are rearing families now, so they are occupied. Nancy Kerrigan has 3 kids, a step son and does a lot for the blind. Kristi has a foundation that helps children. It is difficult to say which skater has the most successful post comp. career. Yuna has done so much with her money-she leads in generosity and the Kwans are as rich, though Yuna has a long shelf life. Glad she cares about special olympics...such lucky people should and often do give back. She is just beginning after skating and schooling, so we shall see -it will be high profile I am sure. Life is meaningless if you just get and don't give.

I imagine there are skaters of less fame who are not public about their work. Mike Weiss has been very generous with his foundation. I am curious what skaters who earned a lot post whack are doing with their lives for others and how about older champions? I know Viktor Petrenko and Oksana Baiul are active with Ukraine Charities...It would be an interesting thread...skating do gooders and where are they now?

Last edited:
I have a vague memory of a thread that dealt with this topic, but I could have dreamed it. Certainy YuNa Kim would be at or near the top of a list of charitable and publicly active skaters. Her position is unique in the world of skaters. I suspect sure she's far wealthier than Michelle, and possibly better connected in some ways, given her remarkable position as one of the most influential people in South Korea. She seems to take her role seriously, almost as a mission. Then there's Michelle, who is a splendid role model and inspiration. As has been mentioned here, another top performer for this list is Viktor Petrenko, who has been active in medical and children's charities as I understand it, especially in the Ukraine. I like Michael Weiss's skating-centered charity, his foundation that helps pay skaters' expenses.

I know that for years, it was a routine policy of Stars on Ice that the skaters would take part in hospital visits and other charitable tasks at every stop of their performance route. Does anyone know whether skaters of other countries have such activities? One thing I recall was how active the Japanese skaters were during the worst of the tsunami and quake effects. Shizuka was especially impressive, driving a car loaded with supplies up to the affected area. If someone leaps into action that quickly, I suspect that this person is already in the habit of taking notice of a need and of helping to fill that need.

This isn't something run by a particular skater, but Harvard University's Jimmy Fund, dedicated to cancer research, has a program every year (and if you're lucky, you can figure out when it's telecast--I've never seen an alert or notification), with a lot of prominent and up-and-coming skaters. Paul Wylie has often been the emcee.

I'm not mentioning anything new here, and it's far from comprehensive. (I know that Scott and Kristi have charities, and someone here mentioned Nancy. I hope someone else on GS has better information than I do. Let us know!

You don’t have to be famous to help. A couple of years ago a local club in the Detroit area organized a fund-raising show to benefit the family of one of their own members, a little girl whose terminal (as it sadly turned out) illness incurred catastrophic debt for the parents. Skaters of all ages and levels performed, even an adult skater associated with the club. They did tap some local stars to headline the show – Yuka Sato and Faiella and Scali participated, I assume donating their time. But it was very much a grass roots enterprise.

I think this sort of thing is not uncommon In the skating community around the country.