Appreciating American ladies skaters | Golden Skate

Appreciating American ladies skaters

krenseby

Final Flight
Hey everyone, with all the griping that goes on about the American ladies here, I thought it'd be great if we all took a moment to appreciate this year's ladies competitors. And what better way to celebrate them than for each of us to recall a special moment when one of these ladies brought us joy, excitement, and wonder. It must have happened to you at some point; you were watching her SP or LP and you just felt like you wanted to jump up and down and cheer, or your jaw dropped because she happened to be so unexpectedly amazing. I want this thread to be as much about the beautiful memories we have of the skating as about the performances themselves. I want this to be a thread that the skaters themselves could take pleasure reading. Wouldn't it be great for a skater to realize that the way they interpreted a certain part of the music or perhaps the athletic prowess they showed by executing a difficult move made someone sit up and take notice? I mean, I am sure they already know what their fans appreciate about them, but the more of it the better. Of course, I don't necessarily expect them to read this thread either, but still it's a great thing for us fans to show our love.

Note: I hope we manage to mention lots of ladies. Also, even though we are talking about this year's ladies competitors, we aren't limited to their performances from this year.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
When Ashey Wagner skated at 4CC's. She was Nina!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Ashley amazed all season and Caroline Zhang is an inspiration. Amazing comeback. Flatt's firebird showed her metal. And Agnes jumps in her sp were a thing of beauty. Wonderful sp. from Agnes

One high point for me was Caroline Zhang's Dvorak Cello Concerto long program at Nationals. Her skating was so smooth and mature. I had had hopes for her after the wonderful short program, and then when the music started and I realized what she was skating to, I got gooseflesh. Not only is Dvorak one of my favorite composers, but this is a piece that isn't done to death by senior skaters. That alone added freshness, mystery, and surprise to her skate. And to see her so improved made me delighted for her and hopeful for her future.

Then Rachael's Firebird long program, showcasing her as an assured and happy competitor--and she was wearing the costume of the year as far as I'm concerned.

This thread is a fabulous idea! I hope some of the skaters, their team, or fans who have contact with them do peek in to read this. They should know how impressive they are, and how fans are rooting for them.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I agree with Olympia--for me, the highlight of the U.S. ladies this year was Caroline Zhang's LP at Nationals. To see her come back and skate so well after everything she's been through was just so amazing and inspiring. I was really moved by her performance. And yes, her maturity, grace, and presence on the ice are refreshing and very pleasant to watch.

Of course I was also impressed with Ashley at 4CC and Worlds, but I can't say her performances moved me the way Caroline's did.

christinaskater

Medalist
THe US ladies are back with Ashley, Caroline and Gracie all making a move this year with the who packed field :)

noskates

Record Breaker
Ashley's long program at Nationals. Caroline Zhang's long program at Nationals. Being in that arena and watching both of these ladies skate was awesome.

'nuff said.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Watching Ashley finally come into her own was the highlight of the season for me. I've been waiting for this moment since 2005. I just hope we, the fans, can give her the space for her "sophmore season" as a contender...

brightphoton

Medalist
Caroline medalling again at 4CC.
Ashley Wagner getting gold at 4CC.
Ashley giving the best American performance at Worlds in a decade.

U-S-A! U-S-A!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley's long program at Nationals. Caroline Zhang's long program at Nationals. Being in that arena and watching both of these ladies skate was awesome.

'nuff said.

:biggrin:

I also thought Rachel did a great free skate @ Nationals, and I was so pleased for her in the K&C.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Hey Gail, You beat me to it. My favorite moments were watching Rachael's free skate. Caroline Zhang was great too. (and all the rest of the girls too!)

krenseby

Final Flight
I'd also like to note that Nina Jiang's SP at Nationals was a delight to watch. It felt like a show skating number. I felt she was quite engaged in the performance.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Just the fact that so many ladies go in day in and day out trying to make the national team is quite awesome. It is so hard to make out out of US Nationals. The ladies push themselves and to see the likes of Zhang come back it gives you hope for Nagasu and Czisny et al.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I agree with most that Ashley and Caroline at Nationals were the highlight for me. Ashley did what she does best; skate with pizzaz and delivery interesting choreography. Caroline was just so smooth and beautiful, not like Ashley at all but both were terrific in their own way. What's great is that they both know what kind of music works for their individual style of skating. (Alissa does too, but I feel like she could stretch herself more choreographically and try something a little different.)

macy

Record Breaker
gracie's breakthrough at nationals and then jr worlds, and finally WTT was great. i'm so impressed with her, how she didn't have a name at the beginning of the season and now her name is in everyone's mouths. rachael's firebird at nationals was absolutely wonderful. everytime i watch it my eyes tear up with joy and happiness. it was so great she had that performance to close out a pretty unsuccessful season. and of course ashley, at world's for me. her long program was absolutely flawless.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Czisny may not have had a great season, but her SP at Skate America was one of the season's best. Beautifully constructed and gorgeously skated. It's too bad her ambition was so far ahead of her abilities.

Wagner emerging into her own. Three consecutive international long programs scored at 120 or above (4CC, Worlds, WTT).

Zhang's glorious comeback, a beautiful demonstration of work ethic and personal growth.

Gold's mental strength.

Flatt's glorious Nationals long.

Zawadski's epic Nationals short.