Japan Open June 2012 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Japan Open June 2012

let`s talk

Match Penalty
One explanation is that she didn't want to be treated as the #2 after Ando.
"Stars" like Takahashi or Ando can't attract enough viewers.
... neither can Chan or Caro according to your logic.

Dai and Miki are not stars but "stars." And Mao is some diva who doesn't allow anyone to think of herself as #2.

I wonder if there is at least one skater of Team Japan of whom NMURA can say a good word. :biggrin:

mikeko666

Final Flight
Mao Asada hasn't participated Japan Open only in last year. I still don't understand the reason. There's no doubt she had an offer since Suzuki (who failed qualifying for worlds) was invited as the #2. One explanation is that she didn't want to be treated as the #2 after Ando. It was the natural order if they consider the placements at Japanese nationals and worlds. In this year's announcement, Asada's name is on the top of Team Japan. It could be the case the organizers promised to treat her as the #1 and give some special bonuses. Asada's presence is proved to be very important for TV stations and Dentsu (the largest ad agency in Japan). This year's DOI was aired past midnight only in Kanto region. "Stars" like Takahashi or Ando can't attract enough viewers.

Asada's agent may want to believe and want the general public believe that she's the only big star in Japan's figure skating. But WTT did very well in both ticket sales and TV viewer ratings. This year's DOI sold out without her as well. Old guys running major media organizations may prefer pretty young girls in mini skirts, but figure skating fans know that men's field is deeper and more interesting than ladies now. I have no idea how much general public cares about Asada or even figure skating this summer because they must be more excited for the Olympics games in London.

It's plausible that Asada demanded JO some big bonus and they needed to take some time for negotiation before they announced her entry.

NMURA said:
This year's DOI was aired past midnight only in Kanto region. "Stars" like Takahashi or Ando can't attract enough viewers.

Would you agree that the big skating boom in Japan has just about played out, and that in a year of two Japan will be joining the U.S.A. and the rest of the world in saying, "What happened to figure skating?"

let's talk said:
I wonder if there is at least one skater of Team Japan of whom NMURA can say a good word. :biggrin:

Hanyu. :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
^Lol :laugh:

Plushy wife answered to a japanese fan on twitter that he might participate, it is 50-50.

inskate

On the Ice
Mao Asada hasn't participated Japan Open only in last year. I still don't understand the reason.

I think that the fact that her mother was terminally ill could have something to do with that. As Mao herself said later, every time she left her hometown she was worried she won't ever see her mother alive again. Furthermore, because her father and sister spent as much time by Kyoko's side as possible, Mao had to get a driving license to drive herself to practices and take care of preparing her meals. Meanwhile, according to coach Sato, Mao was struggling with gaining muscular mass and having weight issues (according to Mao, caused by a late growth spurt, but possibly the grief and mental stress contributed as well).
IMHO a cheesefest competition just wasn't on her mind as a priority back then, both for emotional and physical reasons.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So is Gracie Gold participating at the JO or not? Any news why she dropped out if she did?

NMURA

Medalist
Asada's agent may want to believe and want the general public believe that she's the only big star in Japan's figure skating. But WTT did very well in both ticket sales and TV viewer ratings. This year's DOI sold out without her as well. Old guys running major media organizations may prefer pretty young girls in mini skirts, but figure skating fans know that men's field is deeper and more interesting than ladies now. I have no idea how much general public cares about Asada or even figure skating this summer because they must be more excited for the Olympics games in London.

I must say they are not factors to be considered for big media. The general public is what matters. Large amount of WTT tickets were put on auction sites after the roster was published. Some figure skating fans who couldn't obtain the tickets might be benefited.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Would you agree that the big skating boom in Japan has just about played out, and that in a year of two Japan will be joining the U.S.A. and the rest of the world in saying, "What happened to figure skating?"

Don't sound so hopeful, Mathman!

^ :laugh: I will try to cheer up. I just think it is kind of ominous that whenever concerns arise that maybe figure skating is headed n the wrong direction, the only answer we can muster is, "well, we've still got Japan!"

DianaSelene

Medalist
As the phrase goes "Everything that rises must converge". There's a limit to everything. Figure skating is not as popular in the US as it was years ago (even though the dance teams are looking great). It is still popular in Russia but there has been somewhat a break in Russian figure skating success. Only now are they beginning to build momentum. Right now, skating is extremely popular in Japan but if suddenly athletes start not showing good results, it might have the same fate. However, I am really happy that at least Japan loves skating these days.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
And just checking names who will skate at Carnival on Ice, I am already in HEAVEN! :love:
http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/coi2012/

WOW, Dream cast.

So there will be Medal Winners on Oct 5th, Japan Open on the 6th, followed by Carnival On Ice on the 7th, though it also says Oct 6th on the site and on FB. Happy birthday to me even if I won't be able to watch them live.

I wonder what the impetus for such back to back events is.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie is sure getting a lot of invites for only having one Senior event under her belt isn't she?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie is sure getting a lot of invites for only having one Senior event under her belt isn't she?

The Japan Open needs two North American ladies, which means US or Canadian. The top Senior US ladies this season have been Wagner and Czisny, who is out after surgery. Rochette opted for the pro event only, and Phaneuf and Lacoste aren't of high enough caliber. That leaves Gold and possibly Osmond, but Gold's 5th at the senior-level WTT is more impressive than Osmond's JW 10th place. So it's not at all surprising that Gold got the nod.

NMURA

Medalist
The Japan Open needs two North American ladies, which means US or Canadian. The top Senior US ladies this season have been Wagner and Czisny, who is out after surgery. Rochette opted for the pro event only, and Phaneuf and Lacoste aren't of high enough caliber. That leaves Gold and possibly Osmond, but Gold's 5th at the senior-level WTT is more impressive than Osmond's JW 10th place. So it's not at all surprising that Gold got the nod.

In past cases, it seems the criteria for JO invitations are (1) placements at senior worlds and/or (2) polularity in Japan. Gold is absolutely not an obvious choice. I don't think they would invite her without some kind of "hard sell" from the US. Since Czisny and Canadians are out of question, Nagasu is the most obvious choice after Wagner. But if they had "cancelled" Gold's invitation, the most likely case is that Rochette is agreeing to participate JO and the negotiation is under way.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Gold is going. Nagasu is not a logical choice at all - she totally tanked Nationals. I could understand if you said Zhang (bronze 4CC) over Gold...