Japan Open June 2012 | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Japan Open June 2012

Macassar88

Medalist
Ugh... I didn't really care for Dai's FS. It felt very Morozovy in all the wrong ways.
Glad to see him go for two quads though.

As well as JO you tubies!!

Can we have Medal Winners Open too!!

Much appreciated

DID YOU SEE MAO'S, ASHLEY AND AKIKO'S DRESSES - STUNNING - ELENE'S WASNT BAD TOO!

Ashley's was a Joannie Samson & Deliah Mark 2 dress :biggrin:

I think ladies at JO all had GORGEOUS dresses!

let`s talk

Match Penalty
JAPAN OPEN

The venue was overcrowded today. What a great idea this event is- to start the season in a fandom, in a nice arena, cheered by the super supportive audience, etc. Jeffrey was the same as usual- clean stuff, besides shaky landing on 3A, which is enough, and who should care about quads. The same slow prog with false emotions and mannerism. Michal was struggling with 4S in a warm-up, but he could land it in a prog. He leans too deep in all jumps' entrance. It doesn't look attractive or confident. Kozuka was a little slow, he concentrated on elements too much and didn't look relaxed. What this shirt again, man? The same shirt and the same style in his FS as we saw many times. His SP is much more original and somehow unusual for him. But the combo 3A-2T-2Loop today was especially great! Chan set some new records I assume. It's reassuring to see that unlike with 3 falls last year, this time he is not even near the podium. But the choreo of the prog itself was amazing. Who did it? Jeffrey or Wilson? In Lambiel' performance it would be a masterpiece.Well, in fact there were some new things in Patrick too, like a tiny shadow of warmness and feeling in his skating (Dean added it?), not just a machine that often breaks. What happened with Plu- I have no idea. The most reasonable explanation- he is tired and not that young. Seeems like he did two quads and then just vanished. When did he ever fall from 2A? I don't remember such a thing, and the fall was silly and funny. Also, he was not fast in general, the energy in Swan part wasn't there. In a warm-up he was fine, he even was practicing the entrance for 4S, so I naturally thought he might be thinking about performing it. But what happened next..., well I think his team will work on it since they obviously have serious future plans. Dai didn't lose a chance that his opponents gave him. He delivered his elegance performance almost perfectly. So light jumps and fast spins, he is in great conditions. The prog itself needs more practicing since he did it just a few weeks ago. That shadow of wine-red in his costume is a good idea but the costume itself has no advantages besides underlining his perfect torso. So, if he changes it, I wouldn't mind. In general he sounded and looked very happy and satisfied. Seems like Morozov is giving him what he was employed for- confidence and stability, more or less for now. :)

Both Elene an Alena used cliches for their progs, Agnes was just meh. I am not sure at all that Camerlengo did the right work with Akiko's FS. It's more about him and what he can create than about a skater. The prog is fine, but it absolutely doesn't suit her. She is not some cold elegant beauty to perform this crystal fairy peacock. It would suit Shizuka's style better imo. Akiko looked like a girl who put on a dress secretly taken from someone else's closet, and then put on too much make-up in a la coco-the-clown style. No, it shouldn't be like that. Her SP "Kill Bill" is way more her stuff than this FS. She fell twice and later in the interview she apologized to the audience for her skating and said that her team-mates all did great but she didn't, so she will do her best in the future. I didn't like the color of Ashley's dress, it looked funny, like a baby chicken. Also, I don't think that the oriental prog without oriental IT in it deserves that high PCS. Mao did very well today. The costume was wonderful and the Swan was... new! It's not some dying white swan, or evil black swan. Mao's swan is optimistic and full of life. I hope she will stick with this idea and style.

In the award ceremony Team NA didn't congratulate Team Japan. When team Europe congratulated both teams, then Jeffrey, probably feeling embarrassed, initiated the "congratulation part" and team NA finaly sook hands with the winners.

=======================

CARNIVAL ON ICE

In the opening Dai did three split jumps so high. As well as 3F and his magnificent fast spin. Akiko skated her new SP "Kill Bill", did 2T-2T and shaky 2A. Reeds presented their new OD, but they had an accident at the very beginning. When she was doing twizzles, her blades cut her long big skirt and the rest of the dance she was skating with that "broken" skirt. Agnes kept the tradition for girls to skate one of two types of progs at galas: 1. ice princess with slow "romantic" music or somesuch, 2. silly dance rhythm from low-ranked dance club. Both 1. and 2. doesn't require much creation or/and efforts. It's a general tendency for ladies in galas, so Agnes wasn't any special when she chose #1 type. Honda is perfect at presenting Italian male vocals on ice. He did 3T, 3S, super high split jump, beautiful eagle. Elene skated "Baby, one more time" (oh gosh) in a uniform of a high school student. Is it some kind of fashion for skaters in Orser's camp to portrait sexy teens? She did a good 2A from a spiral, a rare entrance on this jump. Brezina showed "Kodo drums" and was cheered by the audience from the moment the music started. As you know, he created this SP specifically for Tokyo Worlds-2011 that didn't happen, so he used a chance to show this prog to Japanese public. He did 3A very well, tried a quad but fell, still the audience loved his Drums and cheered him a lot. Sarah- ice princess, see #1 type for galas. Buttle- also #1 for galas. Leonova looked a little special with her idea of that tango that she skated at THE ICE, she fell on 2A, the dress was new- black&red. Philippe was a showman flirting with the audience, and that's why he came here as he said himself. Very positive and charming disco EX deserved that ovation. Meissner- ice princess, did 2A, 2T. Kurt skated flamenco, made mistakes on jumps but it didn't spoil the impression- a dude in the undershirt for demonstrating his muscles, mesmerizing the audience with rhythm and attitude. Sold entirely! TakaTran finished the first half of Carnaval with their EX, she touched the ice with hand on a throw jump.

The second part of Carnaval started with the surprising guest, and this time it wasn't a skater but a musician Tomoyasu Hotei. He played for a group number of Kozuka, Kurt and Buttle. The audience was shocked and having fun all around. Wagner- ice princess gala type. Yagudin skated tango, didn't do anything special or difficult, but he is loved by Japanese fans. Lepisto- type #1 for galas. Kulik skated the same EX as he showed at FOI, had step-outs on 3L and 3T but still sold the work. Those blonde Russian guys are icons here. J-girls have serious crash on them. Rochette- type #2 for galas, 3T step-out, 1A. Daisuke skated tango Piazolla. I have seen it many times over the summer and this time it was the same ideal set of 3F, 3A, 3L, fast spins, terrific steps, not even a single mistake in any element. The costume was new, black with some red details, Dai has short hair now, so due to non-availability of hair performance, the bright red was required ;). Classic Argentinian. Slutskaya- Malade. Chan- Mannish boy and didn't fall, the seond 2A was shaky. Mao- Mary Poppins. She is adored by people here! So warm and sunny young woman. Did 2A, 2F, 3loop, 1A. Plu- Gary Moore, 3T, 3A with step-out (oh?), 3L, 2A, some stuff from Italian shows where he presented this prog first time, wasn't there. I mean he maybe showed a little easier version this time. Arakawa- ice princess.

In a closing there was a very short moment for few seconds when Dai was in "pair" with Elene and Mao with Chan. Lol.

Sad that it's all over. Great weekend it was. :popcorn:

Last edited:

Bartek

On the Ice
I was a little bit afraid that Dai's program would disappoint me because of his collaboration with Morozov but the program is wonderful. There is just about the same amount of difficult in-between skating as it was in Blues for Clook. And I love the fact that he went for a layback spin even if he could only get a level 3. The headless scratch spin at the end is also great though I wish he had hold it for a longer time.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I was a little bit afraid that Dai's program would disappoint me because of his collaboration with Morozov but the program is wonderful. There is just about the same amount of difficult in-between skating as it was in Blues for Clook. And I love the fact that he went for a layback spin even if he could only get a level 3. The headless scratch spin at the end is also great though I wish he had hold it for a longer time.

Dai skated with self assuredness and good executions. But the program was front loaded with no choreo until the three big jumps were completed. I like his change of style and the general tempo instead of the usual fast footwork not showing enough glides and held edges. Great showing from Dai! He skated like a champion. :thumbsup:

Bartek

On the Ice
I don't think it's possible even for Dai to put those transitions between his quads. He has them between the rest of his jumps and they are difficult, this is good enough for me.

I'm waitning for videos from Medals Winner Open. I'm so happy I've got the chance to see Irina competing again after such a long break. How old is she now? 3F and 3Lo are still there, WOW. Did she do her signature difficult antrance to the loop and Biellman spin on both legs?

Macassar88

Medalist
I don't think it's possible even for Dai to put those transitions between his quads. He has them between the rest of his jumps and they are difficult, this is good enough for me.

I'm waitning for videos from Medals Winner Open. I'm so happy I've got the chance to see Irina competing again after such a long break. How old is she now? 3F and 3Lo are still there, WOW. Did she do her signature difficult antrance to the loop and Biellman spin on both legs?
She is part of my dream Russian return team for Sochi-
Yags, her, Domnina with someone lol

heyhey

On the Ice
let's talk - thank you for your comments. I've always enjoyed Slutskaya and like Gordeeva - they are both very natural skaters....Macassar88 - I would love for Domnina to come back for Sochi - she definitely commands presence on the ice and is a joy to watch. Is Domnina doing any coaching? Actually my epic dual would be Angelika Krylova vs. Domnina face-off...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well Dai looked wonderful as did Wagner and Chan looks like it is game over. He couldn't land anything and the choreo is gone what a fiasco. Kristy Krall is probably laughing. I loved Dai though I am not sure I like the program. The most impressive skater really was Jeffrey Buttle for the weekend and a nice surprise to Joannie Rochette so competitive with a silver barely behind Shizuka. Nice to see Irina skating again too. It is still early but Chan can't be confident; he must know he needs a real coach forget the politics, the girlfriend and what not.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Skater Boy, have you watched all those skates you commented on? I can only see Dai's and Mao's.

I think Dai skated really well but that program is lacking, in choreo and charisma. I'm sure they will tweak and improve it over the season though. Awesome start. As for Chan, I've commented in his thread. Only on the meltdown as I have not watched the skate.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Skater Boy, have you watched all those skates you commented on? I can only see Dai's and Mao's.

I think Dai skated really well but that program is lacking, in choreo and charisma. I'm sure they will tweak and improve it over the season though. Awesome start. As for Chan, I've commented in his thread. Only on the meltdown as I have not watched the skate.

I have only seen what you have seen - but Dai lacks charisma :eek:

OK......:think:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Takahashi did great! I knew he said that he wanted to put two quads in his program this season. I didn't expect him to put two quads into the program this early and at a pro-am competition. Looks like he's getting stronger as he's ageing.:biggrin: Good for him! His first three jumping passes were really empty. His arms dangled down before the jumps were identical to Brian Joubert's. Where are the people who have laughed at Joubert and Plushenko's lack of transitions?;) I like Takahashi's this program. It was more long lined streching, much less wrist movements. If this is the Takahashi we will see in the GPs this year, this season will be Takahashi's.

Haven't seen any skater's skating other than Takahashi's yet. My heart is bleeding for Patrick! That was an unbelievable meltdown! What has happened, Patrick?!!! I hope he could realize sooner than later that relying on himself and/or Kathy Johnson is not good enough! He has to have a skating coach whoever he/she is! He's back on earth from the sky already. Just hope that he won't stay on earth too long.

Plushenko!!! What can I say?! The man gives every ounce of him to the figure skating! So this is his strategy - to give it all when he could give, but don't give it too many times. He'll go home and nurture his legs and body, and then fight for Europeans. Hope his body could hold up.

Surprised that Kozuka could go for two quads too!:thumbsup:

Have you seen the progress since Brezina changed coach?:confused:

ETA:

Just watched Kozuka's skating. Like usual, his program has little to do with the music which has become a background noise. I don't know if I should blame his choreography or his music choice. I like his skating very much. But I'm beginning to question his musicality. Like last year and the year before the last year, I think his PCS will suffer.

Last edited: