Japan Open June 2012 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Japan Open June 2012

Binthere

On the Ice
A cool event. Money money money only in Japan Asia Japan Asia. Have pairs and dance too!!!!

deedee1

Record Breaker
Plush is listed! Wow! Dai, Plu, Chan in one battle. Cool! (Lucky me).

Yes yes! Many of GS members, me included of course, look forward to and appreciate your usual 'detailed' reports on this pre-season battle! :cool: I am sure it will add fuel to some devoted fans of these skaters prior to regular Grand Prix battles. :biggrin:

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Yes yes! Many of GS members, me included of course, look forward to and appreciate your usual 'detailed' reports on this pre-season battle! :cool: I am sure it will add fuel to some devoted fans of these skaters prior to regular Grand Prix battles. :biggrin:

Yes, Deedee, the GS forum won't be a friendly, really fun place..:biggrin:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, I hope we will be able to keep it friendly & fun, even when people will of course disagree, we hope they will be able to disagree without being disagreeable!!

DianaSelene

Medalist
I'm a little confused. I've been hearing that Gracie Gold is on the list for Japan Open. Now it seems that Zawadski is there instead, they always make a lot of changes at the last minute.

NMURA

Medalist
According to the official site, Gold's reason of "withdrawal" is "a change of her competition schedule". I'm not sure what that means.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
She's going to the Salt Lake City Senior B, where it appears USFS is billing her as a headliner?

NMURA

Medalist
She's going to the Salt Lake City Senior B, where it appears USFS is billing her as a headliner?

I don't think that IS the reason. SLC is three weeks before JO. Agnes Zawadzki seems to be invited to JO insted of Gold. Besides JO is not a serious competition requiring serious preparations. It gives prize money of at least $10'000 plus the gala stipend. That's too attractive to decline if you're not a millionaire. Maybe, Gold is planning Finlandia trophy or something.

NMURA

Medalist
Japan Open
Mao Asada, Akiko Suzuki, Daisuke Takahashi, Takahiko Kozuka,
Ashley Wagner, Agnes Zawadzki, Patrick Chan, Jeffrey Buttle
Alena Leonova, Elene Gedevanishvili, Evgeni Plusneko, Michal Brezina

Medal Winners Open

Sarah Hughes, Shizuka Arakawa, Irina Slutskaya, Laura Lepisto,
Joannie Rochette, Kurt Browning, Ilia Kulik, Alexei Yagudin,
Philippe Candeloro, Takeshi Honda, Jeffrey Buttle

So, one ladies' spot for MWO is still undecided. I guess it goes to Asada. Her presence should have a significant impact on the TV rating. Besides that there are not many realistic candidates left.

Kim is shut out from any IMG events. Kwan is too expensive and not so popular in Japan. Cohen ... could be an option. But the organizer has spent too much money already and I don't think they need another expensive skater to sell tickets.

Last edited:
Both rosters look wonderful! The medal winners open, with Shizuka, Kurt, Ilia, and Alexei, is simply mouthwatering--better than chocolate! I hope that if it's available to see on video on YouTube or on any site, we'll be told here on GS.

There are a bunch of ladies from Georgia who work in my office building. I'll have to tell them that Gedevanishvili is featured. I hope her streak of excellence continues and improves this year. Wouldn't it be great if she got a world medal?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't think that IS the reason. SLC is three weeks before JO. Agnes Zawadzki seems to be invited to JO insted of Gold. Besides JO is not a serious competition requiring serious preparations. It gives prize money of at least $10'000 plus the gala stipend. That's too attractive to decline if you're not a millionaire. Maybe, Gold is planning Finlandia trophy or something.

Not to mention that Agnes is also competing at SLC. I'm trying to think if the initial JO invite was before GP assignments. Skate Canada is later that month, so maybe she's trying to pace herself. (Though there's plenty of time between JO and SC).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Has Gracie graduated yet? Or perhaps starting college?

If so, perhaps there are school conflicts involved?

Just speculating.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Has Gracie graduated yet? Or perhaps starting college?

If so, perhaps there are school conflicts involved?

Just speculating.

I might be wrong......but Gracie is still pretty young. More like Gabby's age....and still a high school student.

Maybe someone can set us straight..?

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold just turned 17 yesterday. I don't why she isn't going to Japan Open, but she may still have to compete at her Regionals October 14-18 before her GP debut at Skate Canada?

fairly4

Medalist
question i thought gracie was 17 last year, but hey i am wrong, and skating like gymnastic changes ages to their advantage.

why not caroline zhang asked, just curious.

or gao, mirai, rachel, or for that matter the canadian youngster.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Gracie Gold just turned 17 yesterday. I don't why she isn't going to Japan Open, but she may still have to compete at her Regionals October 14-18 before her GP debut at Skate Canada?

Thanks Sylvia.

Doesn't it seem pretty clear that Gracie is going to an event that will not be nearly as disruptive to her training schedule and will give her the chance to earn points towards her world ranking/

Am I missing something here :think: