Heel Injury... HELP? | Golden Skate

Heel Injury... HELP?

skaterlover

Spectator
Hi everyone, please help.

I have a sharp pain on my heel (not on the bottom of my foot but on the back of my heel), and it hurts when I put pressure on it in a certain way. This mostly happens in a figure skate. The pain is unbearable when pressure is put on it, and I cannot skate properly (I went skating yesterday, and with the pain, I was only able to do a waltz jump).

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to skate with this pain? Has this happened to anyone before?

Please help me I am desperate! :confused:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would strongly recommend seeing a doctor first before posting medical questions anywhere online.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Sounds like what I had earlier this season. It sounds like bursitis, and it is excruciating. Padding helped a bit, but if that's what it is, unfortunately there are only 2 options, remodel the boot or buy a new pair. Don't keep skating on it if it's still painful. If it is bursitis then you'll just make it worse. I ended up with a golf ball on my heel that's still there after 5 months and doesn't seem like it will ever go away and my entire heel swelled up to about twice its proper size. I had my skates remodeled even though my doctor told me to throw out my skates, and it worked wonders, the pain is completely gone. But it did take 3 months, so if feasible I'd get new skates and a different brand. What make are your skates? This is apparently a fairly common problem with Riedell skates. Good luck. I wouldn't wish the pain I went through on anyone.

treesprite

Final Flight
I had to go look up this stuff because I had no idea we have bursae in our heels. Saw some scary looking pictures... yikes! According to stuff I read, sometimes calcium deposits can form in the bursa which causes even more pain problems, so go have a doctor take care of the problem before it gets any worse.

skaterlover

Spectator
you are correct. I went to a doctor last week, and turns out it is bursitis. I'm getting the heel of my skate punched out, so hopefully it will stop hurting. I stopped skating for a few weeks to give it time to heal, and it is getting better. The pain hurts so much! When I hit it a certain way, pain basically shot through my entire body. Thank you for the warning and help!

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Just be careful with punching it out. Make sure that if it starts u again that you stop skating in them again. When I got mine punched out it was fine fore a few weeks and then the pain was back. Just monitor it closely, if you aggravate it too much it will take forever to heal. I hope the problem is fixed for you.

icedust

Rinkside
I suffered from this too.
It started when I was in shows due to skating 10+ hours / day.
You really need to follow your doctor's orders and take care of yourself.
I didn't have the opportunity to stop skating when it first started happening to me, and it hampered me for years following it's initial apparition. I now have lumps at the back of my heels which don't seem to be going anywhere. I'm getting married this weekend and had to choose my wedding shoes according to my inflamed bursa (sling backs, no closed back shoes that just make the lumps swell and go bright red and hurt!), so as you can see this can be a problem that can transfer into other parts of your life!
If the doctor says rest, then you need to take the time off. After all inflammatory conditions like this won't settle if you continue to carry out the action which is aggravating the region in question.
Hope you feel better soon!
Gigi
X

Last edited by a moderator: