Kim Yu-na to decide on future before summer | Golden Skate

Kim Yu-na to decide on future before summer

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Korean Herald - Olympic figure skating champion Kim Yu-na said Saturday she will decide on her future plans “before the summer.”

Before summer? Isn't it supposed to be "Before summer ends"? This is already summer lol. Declaring her future plan in summer has been her consistent comment in every interview/press conference. So, no news here.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I reread the report and verified that she didn't say which summer.

How many 22 year old have achieved both a degree and an Olympic gold medal? :bow:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It must be tempting for her, seeing as how the technical level of the sport has declined. She can probably skate worse than she did in Vancouver and still win in Sochi.

Krislite

Medalist
It must be tempting for her, seeing as how the technical level of the sport has declined. She can probably skate worse than she did in Vancouver and still win in Sochi.

Did you know Russia has the highest number of billionaires on earth? Even if Yuna surpasses her Vancouver performance, who knows how much the ISU will be paid to select the next Olympic champion...

As much as I would love to see it happen, if I were in Yuna's place I wouldn't go for Sochi. At most I'd go for another World title and then officially retire. A World title she can easily take with enough training and preparation, but the Olympics is a wholly different beast.

ETA: I should warn others not to expect much from this "news"...other translations include the word "may" in her statement that she "may announce her decision before summer."

Last edited:

DianaSelene

Medalist
Did you know Russia has the highest number of billionaires on earth? Even if Yuna surpasses her Vancouver performance, who knows how much the ISU will be paid to select the next Olympic champion...

As much as I would love to see it happen, if I were in Yuna's place I wouldn't go for Sochi. At most I'd go for another World title and then officially retire. A World title she can easily take with enough training and preparation, but the Olympics is a wholly different beast.

ETA: I should warn others not to expect much from this "news"...other translations include the word "may" in her statement that she "may announce her decision before summer."

Do you know how many wonderful Russian ladies skaters there are? Billionaires would not need to pay...

Krislite

Medalist
Do you know how many wonderful Russian ladies skaters there are? Billionaires would not need to pay...

Of course, I'm aware. :laugh: Personally I'm a big fan of Tuktamisheva, but I wouldn't mind if Adelina or Julia wins the OGM. It is, in fact, these girls that make me think that no matter how hard Yuna tries or how much better she performs, one of these Russian girls are going to perform sufficiently well for the ISU to crown them OGM without too much controversy.

guanchi

On the Ice
This gives her time to work on a 3a-3t, ya know cuz it would just look cool and well, I wanna see a woman land it in competition, esp. her if she ever comes back, which will prolly be never, but you can still hope...:biggrin::disapp:

DianaSelene

Medalist
Thank you. Two years out, and already conspiracy theories abound.

Yeah, I'm tired of conspiracy theories. Who has, is, or will pay whom to get a medal, or who will do an exchange of medals. Guys, just sit down, relax, and watch some beautiful skating. Just because your favorite skater did not win does not always mean that there was a deal going on.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Of course, I'm aware. :laugh: Personally I'm a big fan of Tuktamisheva, but I wouldn't mind if Adelina or Julia wins the OGM. It is, in fact, these girls that make me think that no matter how hard Yuna tries or how much better she performs, one of these Russian girls are going to perform sufficiently well for the ISU to crown them OGM without too much controversy.

Highly doubt Adelina will win OGM if she continues to skate like she did last season, there's a very good chance she won't even make the Olympic team if she doesn't bounce back soon and Leonova, Tuktamysheva, and Lipnitskaya continue to build. I actually think that's the most likely Russian ladies Olympic team. I'd love to see Shelepen or Korobeynikova make it but neither of them are beacons of consistency and the field is just soo deep. I could definitely see Liza or Julia winning OGM though, and there probably wouldn't have to be any billionaire bribery to have that happen. We've seen Liza do 3a and Julia reportedly can do 3-3s with 3lo on the end...I know Adelina can too but her technique makes me worry about her future, the flutz is very apparent and gave her problems all last season, her salchow is not very good, and even though her 2a is huge she seems to often have issues with the landing edge. Julia and Liza have stronger technique and better control of the landings of their jumps which helps them rack up GOE so I think they are the more likely contenders for OGM.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Yu Na still has her triple-triple, I hope she comes back. The Russian little girls don't stand a chance against a mature Yu Na if Yu Na still has her jumps.

macy

Record Breaker
If Yu Na still has her triple-triple, I hope she comes back. The Russian little girls don't stand a chance against a mature Yu Na if Yu Na still has her jumps.

agreed. maturity wins in many cases.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Julia's jumps are rather small and not that impressive to me plus in two years she might grow another 3-4 inches then all bets are off.

macy

Record Breaker
Julia's jumps are rather small and not that impressive to me plus in two years she might grow another 3-4 inches then all bets are off.

Her axel technique also needs work, especially if she wants to do a 3A someday. she has no lift.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think most of these girls should just forget ever trying to get the 3A. It's not needed anyways.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Only her 2a is small, the rest of her jumps are decent size. She also has a gymnast build, so I'm not sure how much more she will grow, it could be maybe just 2 inches or so. Her upper body is very muscularly developed already and yes she has really narrow hips and tiny legs but considering her gymnastics background, this could be her build even when physically mature, you see a lot of female gymnasts maintain that body shape even when they are adults.