Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Their new SD :popcorn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB-PGp8H4Jo

Really nice, Maia has great presence and posture and their costumes are beautiful, I like this program doesnt look cheap or forced.

I love the costumes as well! I love that other than the rose in Maia's hair, they avoided wearing red! I think the gold color looks really regal!

And yes, the posture looks great. I noticed they both have a really nice arch in their back.

As I said in the event thread--I think they need more sharp movements and I feel they're missing a few musical nuances, but it's a nice start.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I felt they were a bit slow and careful...but it is not the GP season yet! Now is the time for slow and careful.

Do they have a second Challenger series event?

I like their SD-it had the right strutting attitude for the Paso.:love:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I felt they were a bit slow and careful...but it is not the GP season yet! Now is the time for slow and careful.

Do they have a second Challenger series event?

I like their SD-it had the right strutting attitude for the Paso.:love:

I don't think so. Skate America is three weeks away, so that's their next event.

I only wish being slow and careful resulted in hitting those key points.

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
Love the twizzles- well executed and innovative. Wonder why the patterns were down graded? Lift was ok- kinda labored. Overall slow and careful but it is early. 62 is not bad but definitely the technical score needs help. Good to finally see some of their artistic scores in the 8s.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am more worried about not hitting the key points in th paso than the lack of speed.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I am more worried about not hitting the key points in th paso than the lack of speed.

Yep that's my main concern as well. I'm hoping they take this valuable feedback and comeback with better levels at Skate America.

That said, it seems they have always struggled with pattern levels early in the season. At Nebelhorn Trophy 2010 -- They got level 1 & 3.(Were up to level 2 and 3 by NHK); Finlandia Trophy 2011 -- Level 1 & 3 (Were up to level 3s by Cup of China, their next event) Rostelecom Cup 2012 -- level 2 and 3; Skate America 2013 -- level 2 (both)

So this seems par for the course for this team, even when Igor was around. I believe they struggled in CDs when those were around as well.

ETA: One key example. At Jr. Worlds in 2009, they were 5th after the CD. They placed 3rd in the OD and 2nd in the FD to get second overall).

So I think it's a HUGE benefit that they get to get their SDs out early.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Don't know if this 2005 video already was posted in the recent past on GS??

Maia and Alex Shibutani 2005 Jr Champ Int Dance FD
figrsk8ncourtz11
Uploaded on Aug 3, 2006
intermediate dance champions @ 2006 us jr nationals
http://youtu.be/N6NrB23vPx8 (5:15 in length)​

Latin dance from the mini-Shibs, who won the event. Madison Chock and her partner placed fourth.

Nancy Kerrigan was one of the commentators.

The vid includes a brief interview with mini-Maia (age eleven) and mini-Alex (age fourteen).

And skating in the next segment as intermediate men were Ross Miner and Max Aaron.​

via @twofortheice

GF2445

Record Breaker
People are throwing trash about their new FD at on the Ondrej Nepala thread.
I really enjoyed it.

Barb

Record Breaker
I usually need to watch the program several times to appreciate it and in general I hate vals, but I just don´t feel it :no:, at least my expectations were not high but I am glad they got good score.

TMC

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed it.

Me too!

I usually need to watch the program several times to appreciate it and in general I hate vals, but I just don´t feel it :no:, at least my expectations were not high but I am glad they got good score.

I didn't fall in love with it immediately, and I'm wondering how much the camera angle is at fault here. I liked it enough to understand the score (their musicality was amazing) and I'm sure when I see this at SA I will LOVE it!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Sorry guys I don't mean to be this harsh but Ice dance just does that to you sometimes. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I really enjoyed it.

I think I'm with TMC and say, I like it but not quite in the love category. Thoughts:

1.) It's a not ripoff of Meryl and Charlie's Die Fledermaus. For one, Maia and Alex are not Marlie. Just because they use music by the same composer doesn't mean it's the same FD. For one, I think it's a more lyrical waltz. Also, it plays more to Maia's and Alex's strengths -- musicality, posture, lightness of blade, etc. When I think of Meryl and Charlie's dance, I think raw power! But I suppose I can see how it invites comparisions

2.) That said while it doesn't need to be a power waltz, I'd like to see a bit more power from them during the more upbeat parts. I found myself saying. "Okay, now push it a little more here." Or maybe I'd like to see more florishes.

3.) What this waltz does effectively however, is provide a HUGE contrast to Chock and Bates, which is good. It makes me glad they did not do Michael Jason this season because it would have been a losing proposition. Madison is the show woman all the way, and Maia would have been able to compete. Instead, she offers a lovely alternative as a light, effervescent and sophisticated ice dancer. This FD also highlights the areas where the Shibs are much stronger at -- blade control, twizzles (speed/variety/ice coverage). I think they showed they're not ready to just let C&B be U.S. Champions just yet and the judges don't seem to think so either.

Overall, work to be done, but a solid first effort!

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think I'm with TMC and say, I like it but not quite in the love category. Thoughts:

1.) It's a ripoff of Meryl and Charlie's Die Fledermaus. For one, Maia and Alex are not Marlie. Just because they use music by the same composer doesn't mean it's the same FD. For one, I think it's a more lyrical waltz. Also, it plays more to Maia's and Alex's strengths -- musicality, posture, lightness of blade, etc. When I think of Meryl and Charlie's dance, I think raw power! But I suppose I can see how it invites comparisions ...

Mrs. P, did you mean to say that the Shibs' FD is NOT a ripoff of D/W's Die Fledermaus???

(I have not seen the Shibs' new FD, so I have no opinion, but from the context of your post, I am wondering about a possible typo. :think:)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mrs. P, did you mean to say that the Shibs' FD is NOT a ripoff of D/W's Die Fledermaus???

(I have not seen the Shibs' new FD, so I have no opinion, but from the context of your post, I am wondering about a possible typo. :think:)

Yep typo! Thanks for pointing it out. I just woke up, LOL.

gibbynka

On the Ice
They were lovely in Bratislava today, but I liked their SP better. Wasn't too crazy about it the first time I watched it, but my opinion changed upon repeated viewings. I also think that better camera angles and better video quality will make a difference, not to mention there's still a few weeks before Skate America. Looking forward to all of their GP competitions.

Also, the video of young Maia and Alex was simply amazing, they were so precious! Thank you, golden411 ;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
They were lovely in Bratislava today, but I liked their SP better. Wasn't too crazy about it the first time I watched it, but my opinion changed upon repeated viewings. I also think that better camera angles and better video quality will make a difference, not to mention there's still a few weeks before Skate America. Looking forward to all of their GP competitions.

Also, the video of young Maia and Alex was simply amazing, they were so precious! Thank you, golden411 ;)

Welcome to Golden Skate, gibbynka! Post long and often. :)

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I don't know why everyone is moaning. I liked their new FD tbh. It's not earthshattering, but it's really solid dance. I personally prefer their FD over C/B's one. Despite that I like C/B more than Shibs. It will be really interesting fight for US #1 dance pair status.