Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
ohh wow great to hear!! i agree, alex is amazing, too bad he injured and had to leave the show, his hip hop with twitch is still one of my faves! i hope it will be even better season for them :cheer:

mintx

On the Ice
I love this! I agree the routine with twitch is my all time favorite routine from SYTYCD. Alex is amazing, I really want the Shibs to win Nationals next year.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Do you know for sure Alex Wong is working on their SD? I could see him possibly contributing to their FD or an exhibition instead. His background is mainly in ballet (as brilliant as he is in just about every style) and that could possibly be a good fix with Maia and Alex's softer, more lyrical style.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The Shibs made reference to choosing their SD music while in LA, so I think that's where the assertion came from. But you're right they could be working on other stuff.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Do you know for sure Alex Wong is working on their SD? I could see him possibly contributing to their FD or an exhibition instead. His background is mainly in ballet (as brilliant as he is in just about every style) and that could possibly be a good fix with Maia and Alex's softer, more lyrical style.

of course it is possible for him to do something else than SD but Allison Holker is contemporary dancer but she is on DWTS now and doing pretty good so its possible :biggrin: besides they had waltz as their FD this year so i think they have advantage over some of the teams

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Thanks for the info, Mrs. P! I missed where they said they had selected their SD music out there. I have no doubt Alex Wong can make a great contribution to their program regardless of the style. I just didn't want to make any assumptions! :biggrin:

Celine

On the Ice
In the 20 days since Worlds ... Maia and Alex have been incredibly busy!!

Started work on next season: Announced their short dance music, tweeted a pic with Alex Wong (from SYTYCD) who (educated guess) will be working them :thumbsup:

Been busy with their Charity work and partnerships: Only current competitors at the Figure Skating in Harlem Gala and meetings with Right to play in NY where they are ambassadors

Went to shows!: Dancing with the Stars. So much fun seeing them on TV in the front row next to the judges supporting Nastia Liukin. The Spring Spectacular at Radio City Music Hall. Picture backstage with a shirtless :love: Derek Hough

Walked some red carpets: Shorty Awards and Figure Skating in Harlem. Classy dresses as always from Maia.

Ate a LOT of yummy food at the invitation of some great chefs!: Several tweets from Danny Meyer for Shake Shack and another of his many restaurants in NY. Picture together and tweet invite from Marcus Samuelson. Love him on Food Network

Wish I could tag along, at least for the meals! :rock:

Barb

Record Breaker
In the 20 days since Worlds ... Maia and Alex have been incredibly busy!!

Started work on next season: Announced their short dance music, tweeted a pic with Alex Wong (from SYTYCD) who (educated guess) will be working them :thumbsup:

Been busy with their Charity work and partnerships: Only current competitors at the Figure Skating in Harlem Gala and meetings with Right to play in NY where they are ambassadors

Went to shows!: Dancing with the Stars. So much fun seeing them on TV in the front row next to the judges supporting Nastia Liukin. The Spring Spectacular at Radio City Music Hall. Picture backstage with a shirtless :love: Derek Hough

Walked some red carpets: Shorty Awards and Figure Skating in Harlem. Classy dresses as always from Maia.

Ate a LOT of yummy food at the invitation of some great chefs!: Several tweets from Danny Meyer for Shake Shack and another of his many restaurants in NY. Picture together and tweet invite from Marcus Samuelson. Love him on Food Network

Wish I could tag along, at least for the meals! :rock:

I know, I love it because there are information and many cool pictures, but how they get so much energy? , may be I am just old. and if they are invited again to Stars on ice japan and The ice they will be very busy in the summer.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The Shibs and random NYC encounters! :biggrin:

Branden Harvey, a Portland, Ore.-based photographer, shot this photo with the following caption:

One of the highlights of my trip to New York was randomly meeting Olympic figure skaters @maiashibutani and @alexshibutani.

Aside from being unbelievably talented, Maia and Alex are as kind as they come. I loved spending an entire morning talking about what their lives are like as some of the world's top athletes.

I definitely know who I'm rooting for at the next Winter Olympic Games.

A few days earlier, Chris Fowler, who works for ESPN, tweeted this.

Chris Fowler
‏@cbfowler
I love random sidewalk encounters #NYC offers each day: great to talk w/US Olympic skaters @AlexShibutani @MaiaShibutani! All class.

https://twitter.com/cbfowler/status/588163379489067009

In a follow-up tweet, Fowler mentioned meeting them at a Right to Play event. However this latest visit was completely random.

Celine

On the Ice
Shibs posted a new VLOG from their adventures in LA.

Cameos include Gracie Gold, Adam Rippon and Meryl Davis.
Maia's beautiful new look is through Anh Co Tran, a top LA stylist
They were also at the Youtube Space LA which looks pretty cool. They hinted more to come.

Food, Dancing with the Stars and Claw Machines
http://goo.gl/74UG5t

humbaba

Final Flight
Looks like they had loads of fun on their LA excursion. I'm envious. :) Maia's mastery of the claw machine was impressive. :biggrin:

Barb

Record Breaker
Shibs posted a new VLOG from their adventures in LA.

Cameos include Gracie Gold, Adam Rippon and Meryl Davis.
Maia's beautiful new look is through Anh Co Tran, a top LA stylist
They were also at the Youtube Space LA which looks pretty cool. They hinted more to come.

Food, Dancing with the Stars and Claw Machines
http://goo.gl/74UG5t

Maia´s hair always looks beautiful but the new haircut is great.

Barb

Record Breaker
Happy birthday to Alex!!! :hb: :party:. I cant believe he is 24 yo, time fly :cry:

eta. I just realized that Alex and Elena I. have same birthday , and Charlie and Tanith's wedding is today too :)

Last edited:

Celine

On the Ice
Not just busy on the ice, and on the road, but also with the Vlogs. After LA, they turned around and headed to NYC.
They saw the Spring Spectacular at Radio City and posted a picture with Derek Hough backstage.

Cameos include Evan Lycacek, Kristi Yamaguchi, Meryl and the KWEEN herself! Michelle Kwan! :party2: out on the dance floor with Maia and Alex and the girls from the Figure skating in Harlem program.

ShibSibs VLOG on Youtube: NYC, "Lady Gaga" and Figure Skating in Harlem
http://goo.gl/q0nSZi

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Another luncheon for the Shibutanis with the Secretary of State and the Japanese Prime Minister! :cool:

This time with the Vice President as well.

‏@ShibSibs
We're in D.C. for a State Luncheon hosted by the Vice President, and the Secretary of State in honor of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe! 🇺🇸🇯🇵
1:53 PM - 27 Apr 2015
https://twitter.com/ShibSibs/status/592793617720287233

[ETA, correction: the previous event attended by the Shibs was a State Dep't. dinner, not luncheon. Hat tip to Celine.]​

From the sublime to the ridiculous:
I don't think the Shibutanis' recent Whisper Challenge video ever was mentioned in this thread.
Brandon Frazier (whom I don't often see in fluff) was very sweet and funny. :)
And Gracie was more relaxed and natural than she sometimes can seem. :)

ETA, links for the Whisper Challenge video:

Last edited:

Celine

On the Ice
The Shibutani's seem to be on a lot of "ambassador" lists. Very busy off-season. Exciting for them and terrific for the profile of figure skating to have currently competing athletes at another State Department function.

They were in DC a few years ago as well for a dinner back when Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State.
They wrote a very amusing blog about that evening.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120508&content_id=30719578&vkey=ice_news