Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Rather than Nebelhorn, US skaters may be found at the new Salt Lake City Senior B this year.

Binthere

On the Ice
Thank you for the posts on the very entertaining "Call Me Maybe" video. The over-riding premise is so obviously that they were trying to have FUN and to share this with fans. Plain and simple. It is mind boggling how de-railed the thread on another chat-board became, by what seems frankly, a deliberate ambush from someone from another planet and another past century. It is astonishing that people do not appreciate the level of skill which is evident in the actual video itself, coordinated to music, lyrics and imagery. Really. Just WELL done.

I am impressed, and not at ALL surprised, that Maia and Alex did the photography and Alex directed this effort. All it takes is for someone to see the growing body of their efforts - whether it be yet another brilliantly penned blog for icenetwork (truly exceptional writing which is surely on par with the very best of efforts of the average athlete in frankly ANY sport - articulate, humorous, insightful, sharing), the creative photography (the instagrams and tweets from Alex and Maia are so consistently thoughtfully crafted to engage) and this video to realize that they "get it" They understand they are in a sport which is based on performance and fans. They seem to enjoy all aspects of what they do and are generous in sharing with their fun along their journey. I appreciate this too about them. Makes being a fan a more complete experience.

It takes effort on their part. And I appreciate that they make the effort, and do such an exceptionally good job!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I found it interesting that Maia and Alex chose to do their Latin number for The ICE. Given the mixed reviews, reworkings, that SD had this season, I thought they would want to burn that program to the ground.

That said, you can see that they feel more at ease with the program after reworking it all year long. Granted, they have no patterns or anything here, but I can definitely see some improvement in how they perform with the beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Y5yi9tOS8

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thank you for the posts on the very entertaining "Call Me Maybe" video. The over-riding premise is so obviously that they were trying to have FUN and to share this with fans. Plain and simple. It is mind boggling how de-railed the thread on another chat-board became, by what seems frankly, a deliberate ambush from someone from another planet and another past century. It is astonishing that people do not appreciate the level of skill which is evident in the actual video itself, coordinated to music, lyrics and imagery. Really. Just WELL done.

I am impressed, and not at ALL surprised, that Maia and Alex did the photography and Alex directed this effort. All it takes is for someone to see the growing body of their efforts - whether it be yet another brilliantly penned blog for icenetwork (truly exceptional writing which is surely on par with the very best of efforts of the average athlete in frankly ANY sport - articulate, humorous, insightful, sharing), the creative photography (the instagrams and tweets from Alex and Maia are so consistently thoughtfully crafted to engage) and this video to realize that they "get it" They understand they are in a sport which is based on performance and fans. They seem to enjoy all aspects of what they do and are generous in sharing with their fun along their journey. I appreciate this too about them. Makes being a fan a more complete experience.

It takes effort on their part. And I appreciate that they make the effort, and do such an exceptionally good job!

Yes, they are a good case study on how social media can improve your "brand" for sure. I'm sure they're not doing it for just "branding" purposes, but it certainly helps them stand out as athletes and people in general.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Maia tweeted a nice photo of the Shibutanis with Champs Camp keynote speaker Michelle Kwan:
https://twitter.com/MaiaShibutani/status/238131480793067522

Alex tweeted his own reaction to Kwan too (although the photo might be the same):
https://twitter.com/AlexShibutani/status/238282385899257857

ETA:

U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating
Here are @MaiaShibutani and @AlexShibutani speaking with the media after their short dance at #ChampsCamp pic.twitter.com/Z1f0JM0w
12:39 PM - 22 Aug 12

But no word on what the music for their SD is ...​

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Pls forgive me, can't resist cross-posting. (Woo-hoo!)

From Maia and Alex Shibutani's Facebook page:
"First day back from Champs Camp! It was a very productive week and it was a lot of fun seeing everyone! Oh... and we might have done another video. ;)"

ice coverage

Record Breaker
New tweets -- plus an Instagram still -- from Cecil B. DeShibutani to preview his next opus, a video from Champs Camp:

Alex Shibutani ‏@AlexShibutani

Heads up, Internet! Finishing some edits and posting another #ShibSibs YouTube video. @MaiaShibutani and I think this one's a slam dunk! ;)
3:26 PM - 28 Aug 12​

Here's a sneak preview of our latest #ShibSibs YouTube video from #ChampsCamp http://instagr.am/p/O47jovwm23/
4:05 PM - 28 Aug 12 ·​

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I must say: Those extra 10 pounds (in muscle) have been good for Mr. Shibutani. :) Anyone agree?

As someone who is nearly a decade older--I feel a bit cougarish saying it. :eek::

lcd

Match Penalty
I found it interesting that Maia and Alex chose to do their Latin number for The ICE. Given the mixed reviews, reworkings, that SD had this season, I thought they would want to burn that program to the ground.

That said, you can see that they feel more at ease with the program after reworking it all year long. Granted, they have no patterns or anything here, but I can definitely see some improvement in how they perform with the beat.

I actually think quite to the contrary. I thought the revised Latin program was incredibly dynamic and enjoyable. While elect "critics" with narrow (minded) views on what they "expect" to see with Latin Dance be damned. If you took that program to a Dancesport event it would be very well received. I think the dance step segments at the start of the Samba section especially are terrific.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I actually think quite to the contrary. I thought the revised Latin program was incredibly dynamic and enjoyable. While elect "critics" with narrow (minded) views on what they "expect" to see with Latin Dance be damned. If you took that program to a Dancesport event it would be very well received. I think the dance step segments at the start of the Samba section especially are terrific.

I liked the revised version as well. But I was commenting more on the fact that they worked so hard on that program that they would be want to be done with it. That's not to say they didn't do a good job in the end -- I think they really made it it own eventually, and as I said, I felt they really felt comfortable and really performed it well when they did it on THE ICE. I love the samba steps as well!

lcd

Match Penalty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1XNhRACVoc

Awesome job ONCE AGAIN. ShibSibs - I subscribed!!

The editing is especially good. If you watch and LISTEN closely, the action and activities are actually all coordinated with the lyrics. "wave your hands"
There is such a wry sense of slap-stick humor. An absolute riot. The use of silence lets Johnny completely OWN the final shot. A Chaplin-esque moment, right down to the small steps out of the shot.
Alex is already a talented director. A great sense of how to create and isolate a "moment" That takes instinct and intelligence.

I appreciate how Maia and Alex work so hard reaching out to a broad base of people and fans. Their Instagram photos are equally creative and fun.
http://web.stagram.com/n/alexshibutani/
http://web.stagram.com/n/maiashibutani/

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
And here's that video. It involves basketballs. And skaters who are "not impressed."

http://youtu.be/m1XNhRACVoc

Thanks, Mrs. P!

I'm copying and pasting the credits here in case anyone is curious before clicking on the link whether his/her favorite skater(s) participated. The video is 3:44 in length.

Inspirations: U.S. Olympic Men's and Women's basketball teams, and Dude Perfect

In order of appearance:
Maia Shibutani
Charlie White
Alex Shibutani
Ashley Wagner
Marissa Castelli
Madison Chock
Rachael Flatt
Tiffany Vise
Gracie Gold
Ross Miner