Weir to do quads in both programs; hires Morozov for step seq | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Weir to do quads in both programs; hires Morozov for step seq

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I think Patrick should add he will skate without a fall and Brian Joubert will skate consistently with better transitions ditto for Plushy - but can they execute - that's another issue.
As SkateFiguring already wrote, such a thing as no falls can't be promised - a skater can be in top form, well prepared and completely confident, but a fall can still happen. As for Plushenko and transitions - he already had better transitions this last season. And, unlike Joubert, it would be extremely weird and crazy to call him inconsistent.

I am waiting for Weir's return with real interest, even though I am not sure that he'll be able to improve (COPwise) that much.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Quads in the SP and LP...that's ambitious. I'm not sure the quad in the SP is a good idea tbh, unless his 4t has improved a lot since the last time he was competing... I'll believe this when I see it. Admire his confidence though.

LuCN

Rinkside
Galina Zmievskaya is her name. So she and Johnny did the choreography themselves
oh yes!exactly!I know how to pronounce it in chinese,but don't know how to spell it in English!thanx a lot :)
well,in the article they said Johnny and she did the choreography together.I don't know if Prentenko attend too.Does anyone know if he still work with Galina?

I am not a Weir expert, but if he's done quads, it's not been a great many.
he definitly have done Quads before.but I think not in Olympics or Worlds as I remembered.I think he had done quads sucessfully on nations and tried on GPs several times.can someone tell me if I'm right?

Jeremy Abbott, to ME, is like Alyssa Czsny.....I'm always waiting for him to self-destruct. His SP and LP at Nationals was awesome. His performance at Worlds was classic Jeremy choketime. I think Johnny can beat anybody in the US including Lysacek with a clean skate and quads. I also think the same thing about Adam Rippon with some changes. Basically what I'm saying is that the men's field right now is wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open.
That's what I think.nowadays,all the American male skater isn't consistant at all.everybody can beat everybody,EVEN WITHOUT QUADS IMO.altough Weir said he didn't come back for medals,I think he has big chance to get medals on nations.

btw,another chinese article says his Chopin program with Marton is part of his new LP,and the LP music is performed by Marton,I don't know if it is true.his fan club hold a fan meeting and asked many questions,but didn't give out any informations.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
he definitly have done Quads before.but I think not in Olympics or Worlds as I remembered.I think he had done quads sucessfully on nations and tried on GPs several times.can someone tell me if I'm right?

Johnny has done a quad once in LP at 2006 worlds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRP1nXKAHLY

And I believe he has done a quad in LP at 2007 Nationals. (couldn't find a video to prove it)

And Deedee's video above for his 2008 Nationals

His most successful quad was fully rotated but double footed. He has never ever done a clean quad jump in any competitions even in his prime. And he has never done a quad in SP ever. So I have no reason to believe that he can do it this time round. There is a small chance, though, that he has eased up his own expectations this time, and it might in turn help him to jump more successfully in competitions. In any case, I'll believe it and cheer him up if he does it successfully. But I will not be surprised at all if he doesn't. At this point, I still see this whole thing as attention-grabbing stunt. The point is not to jump a successful quad. The point is to talk about it for months.:p Hope he proves me wrong.

I don't think Lysacek is a factor in competitive skating anymore. Johnny's competition is Patrick Chan, Brian Joubert and a host of Japanese men. JMO

Wait a minute! Am I reading it correctly?:eek:

Last edited:

LuCN

Rinkside
oh,then my memory is a little wrong...I once thought he did clean quads in nations,and double footed one on 06 worlds.then in nations he didn't do clean one too.maybe I confused practice video and nations...

hope he can do what he planed.he did lose weight a lot this year.look much better than last year on Artristy on Ice show.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Galina Zmievskaya is her name. So she and Johnny did the choreography themselves :biggrin:

The product will certainly be economic.:biggrin:

By the way, maybe Petrenko is focusing on his new primary student Michel Brezina.

If Johnny is the one to rejuvenate figure skating in the US, its popularity should not have declined while he was actively competing.

exactly!!!

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't think Lysacek is a factor in competitive skating anymore. Johnny's competition is Patrick Chan, Brian Joubert and a host of Japanese men.

Wait a minute! Am I reading it correctly?:eek:

Let me give you some correct data on major international medals (Olympics, Worlds, 4CC/Euro, GPF) won by each of these skaters:

Weir (27): 3 Bronze ( 1 Worlds, 2 GPF)

Lysacek (27): 5 Golds (1 Olympics, 1 Worlds), 1 Silver, 5 Bronze (2 Worlds)

Chan (21): 6 Gold (2 Worlds), 2 Silver (Worlds)

Joubert (27): 5 Gold (1 Worlds), 6 Silver (3 Worlds), 7 Bronze (2 Worlds)

Takahashi (26): 3 Gold (1 Worlds), 6 Silver (2 Worlds), 3 Bronze (1 Olympics)

Kozuka (22): 2 Silver (1 Worlds), 2 Bronze

Hanyu (17): 1 Silver, 1 Bronze (Worlds)

LuCN

Rinkside
you forgot Oda,though he only has a silver on GPF.

well,I know you may think it's redicular,but those results are only about their performance before,not now.

I do think he's main competitors are the American guys,but he may make good result in GPs while those people attend too.time can tell,we can just wait and see.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
well,I know you may think it's redicular,but those results are only about their performance before,not now.

:confused: So what are the results now?

Three of these Men are much younger and still to peak. As well, all of them except Weir have successfully landed Quads, in competitions.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Is Lysacek even skating? Has he been working out? Has he committed to come back to competitive skating? Does he have any GP assignments? Or is he just suddenly going to rise like a Phoenix out of the ashes and step on the ice and be great again? I have no clue what he's been doing the past 2 years. Stars on Ice? That isn't going to get him back up to a serious competitive level. That's why I made the statement. And if I were Evan - I'd walk away with my Olympic medal and smile!

And really, what does it matter what they've all done in the past. What matters is what happens when they step on that ice in front of judges this time. I'm not prescient and neither is anybody else! It's just going to be fun to watch. Johnny could very well mop up the ice and skulk off looking like a fool - but I don't think that's going to happen and I don't think he's doing this for attention. I think his intentions are real. I have no clue how he's going to do or any of the other men. Jeremy could skate another %*&%^ beautiful two programs and blow everyone out of the water at Nationals......................or not! Adam Rippon or Jason Brown or Ricky Dornbush could have the skates of their lives or someone in the lower ranks could suddenly blossom. All I'm saying is that the state of the men's team in the US right now leaves room at the top. There's no "sure thing!"

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Is Lysacek even skating? Has he been working out? Has he committed to come back to competitive skating? Does he have any GP assignments? Or is he just suddenly going to rise like a Phoenix out of the ashes and step on the ice and be great again? I have no clue what he's been doing the past 2 years. Stars on Ice? That isn't going to get him back up to a serious competitive level. That's why I made the statement. And if I were Evan - I'd walk away with my Olympic medal and smile!

And really, what does it matter what they've all done in the past. What matters is what happens when they step on that ice in front of judges this time. I'm not prescient and neither is anybody else! It's just going to be fun to watch. Johnny could very well mop up the ice and skulk off looking like a fool - but I don't think that's going to happen and I don't think he's doing this for attention. I think his intentions are real. I have no clue how he's going to do or any of the other men. Jeremy could skate another %*&%^ beautiful two programs and blow everyone out of the water at Nationals......................or not! Adam Rippon or Jason Brown or Ricky Dornbush could have the skates of their lives or someone in the lower ranks could suddenly blossom. All I'm saying is that the state of the men's team in the US right now leaves room at the top. There's no "sure thing!"

Great post and welcome to GS.

Johnny has done a quad once in LP at 2006 worlds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRP1nXKAHLY

And I believe he has done a quad in LP at 2007 Nationals. (couldn't find a video to prove it)

And Deedee's video above for his 2008 Nationals

His most successful quad was fully rotated but double footed. He has never ever done a clean quad jump in any competitions even in his prime. And he has never done a quad in SP ever. So I have no reason to believe that he can do it this time round.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I remembered. Add to that the fact that he's 27, and it makes me reluctant to pin my hopes on him, though I'd be happy for him to prove me wrong. Takahashi is about the same age, but he's been training like a demon all this time, as well as competing, plus he always had the capacity to do difficult jumps, and he has the record to prove it, including this very year.

As for Evan, I don't know whether he's past his prime or not, but he hasn't been keeping up his skills at the demanding level that would be necessary, so he's a question mark as well. Again, I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's just hope that Jason and Josh are the real deal because other then Jeremy there are no US men that are factors on the international scene and even he is getting older. I hold out hope for Dornbush but that's about it with the Senior US Men right now. Rippon, Miner, Armin, Razzano take your pick they are not the answer.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Let's just hope that Jason and Josh are the real deal because other then Jeremy there are no US men that are factors on the international scene. I hold out hope for Dornbush but that's about it with the Senior US Men right now. Rippon, Miner, Armin, Razzano take your pick they are not the answer.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I wouldn't underestimate Ross Miner. When you look at it, he's been on an upward — though slow — trajectory.

In the GP, he went from finishing 7th and 9th at his events last year to 3rd and 6th this year. He earned his first ISU championship medal (at 4CC) and got a second bronze medal at Nationals.

This season he earned PBs at 4CC in the SP and overall and his FS from 4CC was only one point from his personal best at Worlds last year.

Ross will need a quad to be a factor, but his team clearly has a slow-but-steady strategy that seems to work.

As for Johnny Weir, I agree that regardless of how he does, it will be fun to see him back. I hope that he will surprise us with the quad, but even if he doesn't, he surely will shake things up.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Takahashi is about the same age, but he's been training like a demon all this time, as well as competing, plus he always had the capacity to do difficult jumps, and he has the record to prove it, including this very year.

Plus he is a COP master and knows what to do to win within the rules, which Weir is not, though he is making an effort, as indicated by hiring Morozov to help with his step sequence. But there is no total dedication and conviction, thus still all the preemptive rebellious claims. Takahashi, OTOH, is clear and determined on his goal, willing to do what it takes, which is carefully thought out, without ever dissing his rivals. There is a big difference in their mindsets and mental strengths.

Going with Johnny's records and recent words, competitive he is not. Not on ice. However, he has been reporting on how hard he is training these days, so it will be very interesting to see if he will be skating as well as his hay days, or better, and how COP compliant he may be.

emma

Record Breaker
I can't wait to see what Weir vol 2 is like - I really think his attempt at a come-back is interesting; and if Evan joins him and nationals, all the better (meanwhile, there are like at least 8 other US guys I can't wait to see too...). But just about Weir and the quad: when he was competing I always felt (post 2006ish) that he had real stamina issues or that he just lacked strength to push through programs, especially LPs, with both the tough jumps, footwork, and transitions. And, no, he does not have a good competition record of landing quads. However, his practice quads and quad triples were gorgeous. This makes me hope two things: a) that he can get the quads back in practice, and b) with the right training mix, might be able to conquer what I'm assuming are stamina (and perhaps nerve) issues to actually put them in his competitive programs.

Meanwhile, we wait...

noskates

Record Breaker
Sheesh - I don't know why I'm defending Johnny so much but Skatefiguring, how do you KNOW that Johnny doesn't have total dedication and conviction at this time? Again - we're talking about the present, not the past! And I could very well be wrong, but the only "rival" that Johnny every dissed was Lysacek and I believe the original barb came from St. Evan himself.

It just bothers me that anyone is willing and eager to write off someone who is clearly working very, very hard to get his competitive skills back up. I think Johnny was in a very bad place the last year he competed and I want to think he's in a better place now - certainly with the US federation, his personal life, etc. And for whatever reason he's coming back, whether he has a hidden agenda, misses competition, or has something to prove to himself, I say more power to him. He's turned down appearances and lost earnings to do this so I seriously doubt it's just for attention.

I know Daisuke is very popular on this board but I'm just not in the camp that wants to deify him. But I don't wish him any ill will either. The only male skater that just fries my grits is Plushenko. If I never had to watch him skate or listen to him boast or whine again it would be wayyyyy too soon. Beyond that - the chips (or the skaters) will fall where they may!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I totally agree with you noskates. No one should count Johnny out! If Johnny got true quads, he is in for a good chance as anyone. I have always thought people places too much importance on past history instead of looking at the present and the future. If skating history taught us, is never count anyone out, and ice is a slippery game.

Johnny is a bona fide star who is capable of greatness and one of the last few at least attempt to reach new level of original artistry (regardless of whether it suit my taste). With his newly found personal happiness and fulfillment, i expect he can bring his mojo back and make a fresh new start. Yes 27 seems a tough age and he definitely faces an up hill struggle, but men's figure skating need someone like Johnny to rough the feathers a bit, otherwise it is too boring to watch. He makes up more personality for the entire USA team + Russia. With Plushy coming back, Evan arch nemisis too, Men's tournament is going to be super exciting next year. With the old guards vs the new crop of challengers.

I for one can't wait to see how Hanyu compete against him, and the degree of their subtle differences and similarity. It would be totally fun to comparing them! Original vs. New improved? Vs Johnny 2.0? Wish him the best and look forward to the showdown. I just want him to beat Evan regardless of medals.

Last edited: