Broadmoor Open | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Broadmoor Open

mskater93

Record Breaker
In general, if the techique is sound, I wouldn't worry too much about how tall a skater is as long as (similar to cycling) the weight to strength ratio is "there" for that skater. Yes, the center of gravity is higher when you are taller (and she was really not that tall at Nationals as both Gracie Gold and Ashley Cain were taller than she is, she looks taller due to long limbs and not much body) but if the technique is sound, a skater who already learned an element can adjust. A lot of skaters fizzle out because technique is not sound before growing taller than 5' (many skaters learn to just rotate and not to actually JUMP).

MasterB

Final Flight
She has always been a promising skater. Glad to see her have such an awesome skate. She is doing exactly what Gold was doing last year (clean and strong skates).

She needs to work on fully extending her legs and arms specially because they are long. She already has a good feel for the music.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Polina looks great! She skates so fast! Between that amazing speed, the 3-3s, and her long muscly legs, she really does resemble a young Carolina Kostner. Seems to be pretty naturally musical as well, and presentation is pretty good for a 14 year old with brand new programs! Really excited to see how she progresses this season! From these videos, she's definitely ready for a JGP and might scare some of the new Russian babies coming up!

macy

Record Breaker
does anyone know the company that videotaped/did pictures for the competition? i want to find their website to see the pictures if they're available.

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thanks for sharing...never heard of Polina but she looks good...just needs to work on getting those triples all the way around...and not telegraph so much...but at 14 wow...

mskater93

Record Breaker
She's been in Juniors for 2 years already and has not had panels call any jumps under rotated or downgraded - they are fully rotated. She finished 6th at the US Championships this year in Juniors behind Gracie Gold, Ashley Cain, Hannah Miller, Barbie Long, and Mariah Bell. I believe all but Long are moving up to Seniors this year (although Bell may <and IMHO SHOULD> remain Junior another season).

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Bell competed in juniors here, so if she plans to move up to senior this season, she hasn't passed her test yet and needs to do so before September. I had assumed she was staying junior another season, and I too think that is a good idea, it would be in her best interest to get her triples more consistent before moving up IMO.

Coldrink

Spectator
She was actually 6th, haha. And Mariah looked like she had grown at Nationals, where she appeared to be all legs. Someone on another forum mentioned that she looked to have grown more since Nationals too though, so maybe she has hit a growthspurt. Barbie Long has also grown a lot though, and her jumps seem as strong as ever, she hit several 3lz-3t combos at this event. Polina is quite tall for someone who just turned 14 so I'm hoping that means she won't have to deal with the growing pains once she goes senior, and actually, that might have contributed to why she was so inconsistent and struggled last season. She sure seems rock-solid and super impressive technically now!
Polina has not yet going through her growing spurt at 14. It may come soon though.

Coldrink

Spectator
I have a friend who lives in the same area as her and he told me many negative things about her coach. He mayhave good techniques but has personalities problems.

Last edited: