Dallas Seavey's campaign to promote his sport | Golden Skate

Dallas Seavey's campaign to promote his sport

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Dallas is on a huge kick to become the face that the sport of mushing desperately needs. Not sure who is helping him put this all together but it's pretty awesome. Can't wait to see more! - http://youtu.be/_NXc44GZGEY

Good luck to him! When you think about it, mushing is a truly American sport (or North American? I guess it must also be done in Canada), and it deserves to have wider acclaim. It certainly seems from what you've told us, Toni, that this guy is mushing aristocracy and the obvious one to carry the torch for the sport. How great that you're going to get to play a role in this! Go, Alaska.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Dallas is a kick, completely passionate and knowledgeable... he's a couple years younger than I am but I'm a huge fan and he's an inspiration. He could've been in Bejing as an Olympic wrestler but an injury killed that dream, so he went for his next goal a little earlier than planned. When I worked for him with argued like siblings. The Seavey Family is AWESOME, and Dallas is carrying the torch - much in teh same way his grandfather helped carry the torch to get the race started 40+ years ago.

Toni, I just went over to Wiki to do some research, and Dallas's article is really meager. You might want to figure out a way to edit it. (I don't know how Wiki works in terms of who can edit it--do you have to register? sign in? It might be worth finding out.) For many casual researchers, it's the go-to source for general investigation, and Dallas deserves to be better represented on it. There's nothing of his personality, or the personality of mushing, in the article. A fuller Wiki article could be great PR for Dallas on a site where more people are likely to find him.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'll suggest it to his wife - who I think is the brains of his online persona - as I honestly haven't figured out wikipedia editing. lol

I think the best way to research him at the moment *might* be facebook: http://www.facebook.com/dallasseavey1

Last edited:
I figure it would be the perfect venue for you guys. It's already there, and it has a built-in audience. Just as a for-instance, recently I was poking around and ended up in the article for Keanu Reeves. It gives quite a bit of information that conveys his personality, quotes surprisingly favorable reviews of the time he played Hamlet onstage (I know; knock me over with a feather), and generally explains why he is a person who draws people's attention. By comparison, I've learned more about Dallas from your posts than I have from this supposed encyclopedia article that should be presenting him to the world. We all love GS, but let us be frank: more readers are apt to find Wiki in a week than will read Le Cafe in six months. Envision some kid doing research for a school project. You'll have more mushing fans in no time!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I figure it would be the perfect venue for you guys. It's already there, and it has a built-in audience. Just as a for-instance, recently I was poking around and ended up in the article for Keanu Reeves. It gives quite a bit of information that conveys his personality, quotes surprisingly favorable reviews of the time he played Hamlet onstage (I know; knock me over with a feather), and generally explains why he is a person who draws people's attention. By comparison, I've learned more about Dallas from your posts than I have from this supposed encyclopedia article that should be presenting him to the world. We all love GS, but let us be frank: more readers are apt to find Wiki in a week than will read Le Cafe in six months. Envision some kid doing research for a school project. You'll have more mushing fans in no time!

Very true, I don't think Dallas even has his official site up yet... most folks come to the site I work on... and all I do is tell the webmaster what to put and where lol I'll mention it to Jen, like I said, I don't know jack about it, and I've tried!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Toni, I just went over to Wiki to do some research, and Dallas's article is really meager. You might want to figure out a way to edit it. (I don't know how Wiki works in terms of who can edit it--do you have to register? sign in? It might be worth finding out.) For many casual researchers, it's the go-to source for general investigation, and Dallas deserves to be better represented on it. There's nothing of his personality, or the personality of mushing, in the article. A fuller Wiki article could be great PR for Dallas on a site where more people are likely to find him.

I'll suggest it to his wife - who I think is the brains of his online persona - as I honestly haven't figured out wikipedia editing. [/URL]
It's really easy - all you need is to cite sources to back up the information you're adding. I mostly edit skating entries, for which I use Golden Skate articles as well general media stuff, IN, IFS Magazine and Absolute Skating. You can also reference a personal website, though probably not someone's FB page. But basically - it has to be verifiable and neutral PoV, otherwise, have at it. You can PM me if you have any specific questions.

Toni, what might be valuable in general - if you're willing to do it - is to upload some of your Iditarod photos (I assume you have some? ;)) to Wikimedia with a creative commons license. There's a lot to choose from for current figure skaters because Dave Carmichael is always adding pictures, but not so much when I edit other things, which is a shame.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I only have the ceremonial start... not really the race...

there just aren't a lot of online sources for dog mushing... :-/