Elena Sokolova's triple-triples video | Golden Skate

Elena Sokolova's triple-triples video

Thanks for posting. That was great. Elena's best triple-triple was the 3Lz/3T at 2003 Worlds. Her seven triple program almost beat Michelle Kwan. Plus, she always had a killer Lutz edge.

By today's criteria I think most of them would be called short of rotation on the second jump, though.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Here's my next video. Elena Sokolova's attempts at different triple-triples from her whole career.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uYdyIVIfLE

Enjoy, share & comment :).

Thanks a million, as always, Bartek! :)
I loved her combo starting with 3L(R) then 3T. :cool:

I have always LOVED female skaters who can JUMP with different combinations, any of triples as the first jump with either 3T or 3L(R) as the second one as they want, such as Sokolova, Slutskaya, Arakawa, Kostner and Ando when they were younger. :love:
We used to have a bunch of them under 6.0, but sadly, not any more under COP due to harsh GOE on URs, DGs and wrong edge calls...sigh :no: Even Carolina and Miki would not go for harder jump combos these days...When they went for such harder jump combos and successfully land them, the audience just went crazy, you know. I miss that kind of excitements.

Yeah, it's a loss, I agree. I thought the CoP was supposed to increase technical proficiency, but it seems to have put a damper on it in many areas.

Bartek, thanks as always for your generosity in putting together these videos. They are a college course in skating technique. My favorite is still Shizuka, but it's great to know that there are several ladies out there (or were recently) who could really lay it down.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The 3Lutz-3Toe at 2004 Euros was the best rotated. She kept that landing edge on the Lutz from sliding around at all and used the momentum to crank the toeloop without spinning on the toepick. Too many 3Toes are cheated by pulling around on the toepick before leaving the ice, which also hinders the height you can achieve, and that's what happens on most every other 3-3 combination Sokolova ever attempted. The 3Lutz-3Toe she did in the SP at 2003 Worlds and then the 3Toe-3Toe at 2000 Cup of Russia are the only others of hers I would ratify out of every Triple-Triple combination she ever did in competition.

Bartek

On the Ice
The 3Lutz-3Toe at 2004 Euros was the best rotated. She kept that landing edge on the Lutz from sliding around at all and used the momentum to crank the toeloop without spinning on the toepick. Too many 3Toes are cheated by pulling around on the toepick before leaving the ice, which also hinders the height you can achieve, and that's what happens on most every other 3-3 combination Sokolova ever attempted. The 3Lutz-3Toe she did in the SP at 2003 Worlds and then the 3Toe-3Toe at 2000 Cup of Russia are the only others of hers I would ratify out of every Triple-Triple combination she ever did in competition.

Yes, her 3Lz+3T seems to be very similar to that combo done by Kimmie Meissner. Similar technique, though it's even worse in Kimmie's case. Shizuka for example, does her 3+3T combos completely differently. Elena puts her toepick on the ice, and then spring up on the strength of her leg and arms. Shizuka seems to use all the flow and speed to get up in the air and puts her toepick "lightly" onto the ice. It's more of the first jump momentum she has to get up in the air for the second jump.