U.S. Olympic Trials: Anyone Watching? | Golden Skate

U.S. Olympic Trials: Anyone Watching?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't even like the summer olympic sports, but it's on primetime and nothing else is on - and I actually like the trials... not sure I'll watch the games... tonight was swimming... (it's going on right now for me, actually). I'm so not a Michael Phelps fan, so I'm cheering for everyone else. :laugh:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well, hi is the most sucessful Olympic champ ever, and such a wonderful swimmer's bod-at least you might like that. I have seen one track event. 200yd dash for ladies? Didn't pay much attention. I am guessing gymnastics team has been chosen or is that coming up? If you know please post in the worthwhile TV thread with time/channel info or maybe we need a dedicated Gymnastics thread since many of us like gymnastics esp Olympic gymnastics. I hope I get to see some of that, if I know ahead of time I can stickie my TV. Heather did a great job of FS events but printer is inkless now. I get maybe 10 pages out of a cartridge at most-even less-I bring them back and tell them and they say we don't fill them, complain to HP. Well someone is china is filling them, and no one cares. I am to tired to fight. Anyway, I need a guide to TV as I don't want to miss the finals of the gymnastics and the world team competitions. Maybe there is a thread with times...this is what I mean by worthwhile TV. I find the diving very good, and will watch some of that, but agreed, Toni, Winter olympics has the more exciting stuff and of course the best is FS. London will be great for me as I was there 3 months when I was like, your age.

I love London. I would love to be at the Gymnastics events and just soak up the Olympics. It was always a dream and travel was my great desire. I think the Brits will entertain us well.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
NBC is showing the olympic trials events in primetime all week and weekends... running was this weekend, swimming the last couple of nights and I think tomorrow. Diving was on Sunday.

The Gymnastics folks normally create a thread for it when it comes around. I don't follow it.

Rats! I've missed most of it. I'll try to catch some other evenings. I can't wait for the Olympics. And it's in London, one of my favorite cities ever.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm going to miss it tomorrow since So You Think You Can Dance will be on... *sigh* more swimming will be on.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There have been repeats on NBCSports Channel.

All of this coverage gives me hope that US Nationals in 2014 in skating will be prime time :love:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
There have been repeats on NBCSports Channel.

All of this coverage gives me hope that US Nationals in 2014 in skating will be prime time :love:

I think it depends how ratings do for these trials and the London Games.

Johar

Medalist
I hope diver Thomas Finchum made it to the Olympics. And I want to see gymnast Alicia Sacramone make it.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I love track & field events so try & catch them on NBC or Universal. I've seen some swimming & diving but don't follow it except during the Olympics. Same with gymnastics.

Johar

Medalist
I love Equestrian, especially cross country and dressage. Gymnastics, synchronized swimming, men's beach volleyball, diving and gymnastics. And men's beach volleyball is visually appealing ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Gymnastic trials are on this weekend, if I heard Matt Lauer correctly?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Tonight swimming is on...Michael won the whateverb he was swimming. I wonder what Gymnastics events and when this weekend? I am sad Shawn is not going to be back...Is nastia going to make the team? I hope so. She is our very own Svetlana Khorhina!

DianaSelene

Medalist
Tonight swimming is on...Michael won the whateverb he was swimming. I wonder what Gymnastics events and when this weekend? I am sad Shawn is not going to be back...Is nastia going to make the team? I hope so. She is our very own Svetlana Khorhina!

I doubt Liukin will make the team. She's not in the best shape - but I could be wrong and she could give an amazing performance.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
II'm so not a Michael Phelps fan, so I'm cheering for everyone else. :laugh:
The swim trials are in my city so I am definitely watching.

Toni, what is wrong with Michael Phelps???

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The swim trials are in my city so I am definitely watching.

Toni, what is wrong with Michael Phelps???

his persona rubs me wrong... I get that he's GOOD... but personality wise he's a huge zero forr me.

Has anyone heard anything about Dara Torres? I always root for her. It's like her fourth or fifth Olympics. Go, Dara!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has anyone heard anything about Dara Torres? I always root for her. It's like her fourth or fifth Olympics. Go, Dara!

I thought she was supposed to be in the trials but haven't heard a word about her.

Well, tonight I'm finally getting to watch Olympic trials. I realize that one thing about swimming (and running also) is that they're easier to watch in terms of not fearing dreadful injury for the participants. There's some gymnastics on as well as swimming tonight, and someone fell onto her back, someone else injured an elbow before the actual competition and had to withdraw. It's way too tense. Swimming is just full speed ahead (or behind if they're doing backstroke). I know that swimmers get wear-and-tear joint injuries, especially of the shoulders, but that's different from risking life and limb.

Oh, and somone just fell from the uneven bars. Up she bounced and continued her routine.

The swimmers, male and female alike, look like demigods. They are so tall and perfectly sculpted. Ryan Lochte could qualify for honorable mention on our list of handsome skaters. (He works in pre-frozen ice. That qualifies!) They showed a heat with Lochte and Michael Phelps racing in adjoining lanes in a semifinal. They were so far ahead of the rest of the field that you couldn't see the other swimmers in the camera shot.

Last edited: