Who's watching So You Think You Can Dance? | Golden Skate

Who's watching So You Think You Can Dance?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm so not liking this "one show a week" thing and no results show. All because we need more stupid reality tv like all the different dating shows :rolleye: could our society be so lame brained?

I'm so not liking this "one show a week" thing and no results show. All because we need more stupid reality tv like all the different dating shows :rolleye: could our society be so lame brained?

I'm with you, Toni. I haven't even gotten to watch SYTYCD this year because of a workshop I'm taking. If it were on twice a week, I could see it. And you say it's replaced by a dating show? I can't imagine dating publicly. Even more than that, I can't imagine watching other people date and getting interested in it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the dating SHOWS are high octane versions of "The Dating Game"... they're stupid.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm watching...love the ballet dancers.

Tonichelle said:
could our society be so lame brained?

I think you got your answer.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I'm watching. Never watched this show until Emanuel Sandhu was on the Canadian version (which was just cancelled) a few years ago. Too bad I can't vote on any now, but I'm still watching the US version.

I don't have a favourite so far. Amelia did grab my attention, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of her. Also, I liked the ballet dancers and the two latin ballroom girls (although I've already gotten tired of the giggly, squealy, "OMG we're totally such awesomely good friends!!" stuff). Also like that there's some unusual dance specialties this season.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
What night, channel and time is this on. I used to watch it...I am hoping there will be good choreo, as the dancers are unbelieveably good. I am getting a bit tired of lyrical jazz being everyone's specialty. I hope the show numbers are diverse across the dancing disciplines.

heyang

Record Breaker
Actually lyrical jazz is not the dominate specialty - contemporary dancers usually make up the largest % of the top 20.

The show is on Fox - #'s are different in each market. In the NYC area, it's channel 5.

From what I read, they didn't like the ratings for the results show. So, Fox wouldn't air a results show - wasn't the decision of the producers.

I watched the dating shows one night and they weren't very interesting IMHO.

I think they've really made an effort to 'spread' the specialties of the competitors. This year we have 3 ballet, 3 latin ballroom, 3 hip hop, 2 jazz, 1 bellydancer and 8 contemporary dancers. Overall, though, the contemporary dancers seem to be the most adaptable and the hip hoppers have the advantage of having energetic routines.

I was surprised they chose Cyrus as the 3rd hip hop person. He was great at his specialty, but really weak (compared to the other 19) in the other genres. After prior issues with people who struggle outside of their specialties, I thought they would've gone with the guy who was good in the other genres, but had a so-so solo.

As for the ballroom girls, they are the youngest of this season's top 20. Between the 2, I prefer the one who doesn't do the over the top overt sexy moves .....

In past years, I've noticed that the contemporary dancers were generally the most adaptable, by virtue of their training as well as their style. For one thing, hip hop dancers are often self-taught and have adapted their bodies only to their own tricks, whereas ballet and contemporary dancers are more all-around flexible. Hip hop dancers also don't tend to learn partnering, though their solos can be astonishing. Ballroom dancers partner beautifully but are less able to do solos. I remember one year there was a good ballroom dancer, Faina I think her name was, whose solos during the dance-off phase if she ended up in the bottom two were very dull. On the other hand, the second season winner, Benjy Schwimmer (Lacey's brother), was a ballroom dancer, and he was dynamite. He was the one who beat Travis, the splendid contemporary dancer who's become a great choreographer.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Benji won on personality... remember it's the "favorite" dancer, not the best, which is why they choose some of the top 20s that maybe aren't the best in Vegas (from what we see) but they have a good story/personality/body/face.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'm watching & think there are a lot of outstanding dancers selected this year. The one who kept catching my eye during the group routines was Cole Haribe (martial art dancer). He seemed to be great at all the individual choreography so I'll be interested to see how well he is at partnering.

Benji won on personality... remember it's the "favorite" dancer, not the best, which is why they choose some of the top 20s that maybe aren't the best in Vegas (from what we see) but they have a good story/personality/body/face.

Benji was also astonishingly versatile for a guy who specialized in West Coast swing. I just loved watching him. That final four, including him, Travis, and Heidi (Benji's cousin and frequent partner in dance competitions) was just tremendous. I think Heidi and Travis did that park bench routine by Mia Michaels, and it eventually won an Emmy. Any one of them could have won, and it would have been deserved. But you're right: Benji had the personality. He showed up, and the lights seemed to get brighter. I was rooting for him from Day 1.

heyang

Record Breaker

Absolutely am aware that it's not always the best dancer that wins. Fortunately, a lot of dancers to watch and vote for the 'best' and offset the fan vote somewhat. That's why the top usually deserve to be in the finals vs someone who is purely there for personality.

I was actually referring to having a weak partner being unfair. There was one season (#3?) where one kid was amazing at hip hop, but horrid at everything else. His partner was much better than him. They consistently ended up in the bottom 3 and saved by dance for life. If she had not been partnered with him, she might not have been bottom 3 so much or could have been given more opportunity to 'shine' and lasted longer. During a Mia Michael's routine, she actually just had him sit down on stage to allow his partner a chance to show off her skills and he just wasn't up to it. The judges gave him extra weeks and let go of better dancers, hoping that something would click. I think his name was Cedric - Debbie Allen gave him a scholarship to her school aftewards because she saw so much potential in him. A few years ago, he was teaching hip hop at her school, but I"m not sure if he every developed any rudimentary skill in other genres.

Don't get me wrong, Cyrus is great in his genre and I like that he's been pushing himself. THe guy definitely has personality and presence. If they had kept him out this year, maybe he would've gone home and worked on these skills and come back better next year - even more competitive than he would be this year. A few people have returned multiple times - sometimes they get in (a la Twitch, the one girl this year, etc.) and others find that they are falling behind, still.

Yeah, the first season, Melody, one of the best dancers (and one of the finalists, I think) was paired for at least a time with a guy who was self-taught and once almost injured her. That's another danger.

I've always thought that it would be fun if one reality show kept all the contestants on from week to week and then ranked them at the end, maybe having a dance-off between finalists on the last show alone. There could be a way to build tension by having the votes called out in each show. Or maybe there could be an elimination show halfway through and then at the end. If such a structure were set up, SYTYCD would be the ideal show for it. Some splendid dancers get eliminated way too early, depriving not only them but the audience.

However it works, this show gives us viewers the chance to see innovative choreography, learn about new dance styles (I never appreciated hip hop until this show demonstrated how varied it can be), and watch astoundingly talented dancers. I'll have to see if it can be views online, because I keep missing the shows.

heyang

Record Breaker
Yeah, the first season, Melody, one of the best dancers (and one of the finalists, I think) was paired for at least a time with a guy who was self-taught and once almost injured her. That's another danger.

I believe that was Alan. He came off as a really nice guy. I think there were only 10 dancers - or fewer - during season 1. Final 3 were Jamile, Melody and Nick. Melody and Nick were best friends and I think platonic roomies. Their All that Jazz routine is still one of the best routines out of all seasons - not the best, but definitely in the top 20. Melody and Alan also had a lovely 'soldier' story routine, too.

Oh, yes, it was Alan. He did seem nice, and he was so apologetic when he goofed up. Thanks for reminding me of Jamile! He was charming, and a wonderful dancer--one of the self-taught ones, I think. Melody and Nick were splendid, weren't they? They're still among my favorite finalists. I'm sorry that the kind of dancing they do isn't in vogue. Someone ought to revive the movie dance musical, and not just for hip hop. Then we could see dancers like them regularly.