Tuktamysheva’s quest for perfection | Golden Skate

Tuktamysheva’s quest for perfection

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Elizaveta (Lisa) Tuktamisheva is currently taking part in the first of three training camps in Pinzolo, Italy.

More

Mao88

Record Breaker
Things are looking really promising for Liza for next season.

This is the Goldenskate article from 2 years ago referred to in the article. She certainly has made the impact predicted back then

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I personally think she should stick with the two programs and work on them as well as the spins, jump c onsistency and interpretation. She doesn need two more programs unless she is working on them for 2014 and the olympics.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^^^She is going to pick two programs out of the four. It sounds like Mishin is not all pleased with Wilson's work. (Too much transitions?)

gmyers

Record Breaker
You really want Love Story to be the only option? It's not like the potential for problems doesn't exist with something like Love Story and someone as young as Liza. They obviously had second thoughts immediately. I doubt if it is something with transitoins or movement or anything. Liza doesn't lack for transitions jump ability. Her programs could have more jumps in the second half. Her 3A video in practice is now too old to be imformative of present ability. Unfortunately there is not even one attempt at any competition where it was evaluated by a technical panel. I just assume there is no 3A anymore but at least 2 triple triple combos that she can do very steady.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Music is selected before choreography begins so why would it be the problem after it has been completed? Good to know the Russian federation has the money to shop around for ET.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
SF, they just might not like the program- it is that simple.

Agreed, DianaSelene. Wilson isn't the first choreographer who has choreographed something for a skater, only to have the skater go with another program. In the end, even Wilson knows that the skater needs to make the choice that will take them to the top, whether that means getting another program or not.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Carmalengo said it was a very different experience choreographing for Plushenko because Mishin was present and very demanding throughout. I wonder if Mishin was there with David Wilson working together on ET's program?

Elizaveta sounds well and thoughtful and I think it bodes well for her new season.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Agreed, DianaSelene. Wilson isn't the first choreographer who has choreographed something for a skater, only to have the skater go with another program. In the end, even Wilson knows that the skater needs to make the choice that will take them to the top, whether that means getting another program or not.

There can be multiple reasons why a skater suddenly does not want to use the choreography/music that they paid for. I just don't think it makes sense to automatically assume it is because the choreo is too hard or has too many transitions. Mishin is quite smart (he is a professor for god's sake). After Plushenko's silver in Vancouver he understood that he needs to adjust to COP and I don't think he wants to see Liza fail.

Personally, I have not seen either of Wilson's programs but I would like to see more variety from Tukt. Last year, her programs fit her and music-wise were not too bad. While Caravan is a famous piece, I don't hear it too often on the ice. Tango is more common but at least it is not Carmen, Dark Eyes, Love Story, Sheherezade, Phantom of the Opera, etc. I hope that Dickson can give her something unique and not bland.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Of what I saw the 4 days I went to see her trainIng Liza practiced all 3 programs, two shorts and one long, I don't know what's the fourth, but maybe she just didn't do it the days I went. She worked of all in the camp harder, staying on the ice 6 hours, from early groups till the late ones, morning and afternoon.The Dickson sp was made less than a week, she was there all day.

Mao88

Record Breaker
Another new interview with Liza. Reads:-

WFS: Elizaveta, my first question is about your training process. How is it going? How do you feel?

Elizaveta Tuktamisheva: I am slowly getting back in my sporting shape at the training camp now. I feel good. Italy is amazing! I really like the city here in the mountains. The training conditions here are very good.

WFS: You will be attending the upcoming season as a completely senior skater with possibilities to compete at all senior’s competitions, including European championships and Worlds. Does that in any way affect your training right now? Are you happy about new opportunities?

E. Tuktamisheva: Well, actually I try not to pay much attention to such things. I am focused on my training, focused on doing my work. I already competed against them (note: senior skaters) last year at the Grand Prix competitions, so I’m not expecting to see anything surprising for me from them at the Euro Champs or World Champs. That is if I will be selected to go to Euro Champs and World Champs, of course.

Well, yes, on the one hand I am happy, but also for the time being I do not have a reason for a lot of happiness. First I need to be selected to compete at the European Championships and Worlds. Just because I am eligible by my age does not automatically mean that I will be competing there. But I will try my best to be able to participate in those competitions. I will work very hard.

WFS: How was that experience for you when last year you competed with the senior skaters?

E. Tuktamisheva: It was a tremendously important experience for me because I was able to win two Grand Prix competitions. This made me understand that nothing is impossible, that it is possible for me to reach the highest of highs.

WFS: You ended the last season brilliantly by winning at the Youth Olympic Games. How did you feel when you won?

E. Tuktamisheva: At first I could not believe it, but then I finally realized that I had become the champion of Youth Olympic Games and I was so happy. I was incredibly happy. Don’t know what else to say.

WFS: Regarding your new programs for this upcoming season, what are you planning? What music?

E. Tuktamisheva: We have not made a decision regarding the short program yet. But maybe the music will be “Love Story”. The music of the free skate program will be a remix on “Dark Eyes” (Ochi Chernye).

WFS: This summer you worked with Canadian choreographer David Wilson. Right now you are also working with American Tom Dickson. Tell us, please about your work with them.

E. Tuktamisheva: It was very good. The two choreographers are different. Absolutely different in how they put together the programs. I have acquired a tremendous experience from working with both of them. While I have this opportunity I need to learn as much as possible.

WFS: Do you plan to try anything new in your programs this upcoming season? Maybe some new moves or some new jumps?

E. Tuktamisheva: I don’t know about any new jumps. I think everything will be as usual, but we will spend more time on the choreography. I hope that my skating style will become more graceful. I’m hoping I will move forward. Right now it is only the beginning of the summer.

WFS: You are already assigned to participate in Skate Canada and Trophée Eric Bompard this year. And you won these two championships last year. Why did you decide to participate again at the same events?

E. Tuktamisheva: Well, it seemed to us that it would be better for me to go to Canada this year because that is also the country where the World Championships will be held this season. It seemed to us that this would be a good option for me because time-wise these two competitions are neither too close together nor too far apart. I mean the time gap between these two competitions is neither too big nor too small. So, it was a good option for me.

WFS: There is a big competition now in Russia among ladies. How do you feel about that?

E. Tuktamisheva: I think it is good because when there is more competition it can help us to move forward in figure skating and not stand still in one place. If there were no competitors, then we, athletes as a whole, would not be getting better. So the fact that we have competition I think in the near future will raise the level of skills in Russia’s ladies single figure skating.

WFS: You work in the team with your coach Alexei Mishin and such skaters as Evgeni Plushenko and Artur Gachinski. How do you feel working with this group of people?

E. Tuktamisheva: I have been working with this team of people for a long time, so it is working well for me. The atmosphere in the team is very friendly.

WFS: And the very last question. Would you like to say anything to your fans?

E. Tuktamisheva: I want to tell my fans that I really miss them a lot. I hope they will not forget me. I’m going to work very hard right now, so that later I can make people happy with my skating programs. I feel like I really want to be able to show my new programs soon. So… I really miss you all! I send a “hello” to everyone! I love you!

Also, here are some new videos:-

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - Short Program

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - Free Program

Finally, some photos from the Pinzolo training camp

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thanks so much Mao88 for the videos and photos.

Elizaveta sounds like a winner to me. She is fierce!