2012 Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships, July 25-28 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2012 Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships, July 25-28

slipslidin

On the Ice
If you go to the Lake Placid website, You'll see the judging panel for each group listed under the marks. It appears that each group had it's own panel, and different panels for the short and free dances.

We know that Paul and Islam got two deductions, and they both fell. As for the rest I guess we have to wait for them to 'fess up.

slipslidin

On the Ice
Don't Paul and Islam look splendid? I think it's the most flattering dress she's ever worn. What was their music ? Anyone?

I'll venture to guess that Madison Chock designed her own costume again.

sorry had internet trouble so couldn't respond. dorispulaski - you were asking for reports, I see that ice-dance.com has a few up so will let you read about it there. Some notable things that I noticed. Aldridge/Eaton had to abort a lift, but luckily for them many in their flight had troubles as well so helped them to stay on the podium (falls). There was a Novice team that skated to music from "Hair" I believe for their starlight waltz and they were dressed like hippies. Don't gasp too soon, it worked for them. I love first competitions of the season.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
slipslidin--thanks for your impressions!

ice-dance has reports on Junior C SD, Senior A SD and Senior B SD so far.

Last edited:

slipslidin

On the Ice
I wish I had more information. It would be great if some kind fan had some video to share. I'm very pleased and not surprised that Edwards and Pang and Orford and Williams did so well, and I wish I knew their music, but I know I'll soon see their programs during The Big Skatebuzz Binge( B.C.Summer Skate and Thornhill). For the American teams I'll have to wait much longer.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
ice-dance.com has included some of the program music. And IN (which stores the USFS official bios of the US teams) is updated fairly regularly. However, often Canadian teams arrive at major events (GP, JGP) without updating either their ISU bios or their SC bios, and it's hard to find out what they are skating to in advance.

In fact, it can be a real pest for the event personel, since someone little volunteer has to chase around and find out what it is so that it can be posted on the official video feed.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Don't Paul and Islam look splendid? I think it's the most flattering dress she's ever worn. What was their music ? Anyone?

I'll venture to guess that Madison Chock designed her own costume again.

P/I's FD is to music from the "Legend of 1900" soundtrack by Ennio Morricone. They announced it a while back, and I think it's a gorgeous choice for them. They've said since that they used some of the jazzier pieces from the score.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
P&I are one of the good ones about this...and there are other Canadian skaters who update. However, it appears that SC doesn't care whether the skaters do or don't...as a result, quite a few don't.

slipslidin

On the Ice
Thanks, skatingfan04, I knew they were using that movie soundtrack, but not the selections.

I was not surprised that Orford and Williams chose a western theme, as they are both originally from Calgary. And Yeehaw, Thomas revealed his inner cowboy by wearing western clothes. So many of the boys look like fugitives from a leather bar in their 'western gear'. Their music was 'A Western medley', not fully descriptive, at least for me.

ETA: I just can't resist mentioning this; in case anyone thinks Nicole's outfit is unrealistic. There is a woman in my office who wears a nearly identical dress to work, (well, the skirt might be two inches longer). Needless to say, Nicole looks much cuter.

Last edited:

Tammi

On the Ice
A lot of the deductions were for extended lifts. A couple of senior teams got dinged 2 point deductions for illegal lifts (Chock/Bates; Cannuscio/Bramante). None of the teams skated a perfectly clean program, but that's expected so early in the season. The new US senior teams showed a lot of promise. Aronow/Brubaker have been together since last season, but I think this was their first competition together. They were with Marina's group and looked very comfortable together. Olson/Hubbell had a nice look. Their timing was off a little bit though. Cannuscio/Bramante formed their partnership in late May and looked like they were just having so much fun.

I was impressed with Orford/Williams. They looked very well prepared and had improved a lot. Bernardi/Mior did very well. For Juniors, Edwards/Pang really caught my eye. They had strong programs and just looked so well matched. Aldridge/Eaton were definitely competition ready.

It was really amazing to see all those international teams at one event.

slipslidin

On the Ice
The notes for Senior free dance, group A and B are now up on Icedance,com! Quite descriptive, and they make it easier to understand the marks.