Carolina Kostner To Keep Skating Until 2014 Olympics | Golden Skate

Carolina Kostner To Keep Skating Until 2014 Olympics

Mao88

Record Breaker
Carolina has decided to remain in competitive skating until the 2014 Olympics. The announcement is on her Official Website:-

Carolina: "I will keep skating competitively until Sochi"

"Dear friends, I've been thinking about my life and future a lot lately and after consulting my coach and family, I decided to continue my competitive career until Sochi 2014. It won't be an easy challenge, therefore I hope you will keep supporting me the way you did through all of these years! Thank you. Love, Carolina"

Carolina is now in Oberstdorf training and getting ready for the new season. She's looking forward to seeing you all in Verona on September 22nd for the show Opera on Ice 2012.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Carolina has decided to remain in competitive skating until the 2014 Olympics. The announcement is on her official website:-

Official Website
Great news! I'm really looking forward to seeing what Carolina might come up with next, and hope that both she and Valentina Marchei will finally have a good Olympic experience.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Great news! I'm really looking forward to seeing what Carolina might come up with next, and hope that both she and Valentina Marchei will finally have a good Olympic experience.

It is great news! I did not post in the other Carolina thread because retiring was something she was thinking about and it was not definite.
I am doing my happy dance right know and overjoyed that the "Goddess on Ice" is not retiring.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Awesome! I hoped that she wouldn't pull a Jeffrey Buttle on us by retiring at the height of her brilliance. Her choreography has become deeply connected to the music and very mature. I don't even care if she doesn't do a lutz. I'm just glad she's coming back, despite the deep field next year with Kim and Ando.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited!!!!!

It's like skating fans' dream come true! All of top elite female skaters are skating plus the wonderbabies!

emma

Record Breaker
As a huge Carolina fan (fandom that took time and more skating savy fans on this board to inform me about the qualities of her skating that I just didn't see at first) this is really great news!!! I thoroughly enjoyed both of her programs last season, was thrilled by her success, and was left longing for more when the season ended. So, I'm so glad we get to see her compete some more and now can't wait to see what she and her team come up with for the upcoming season. Go Caro!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Italy needs Carolina to continue and we need her around to show other Ladies how figure skating is done besides jumping.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have a mixed reaction. I like people to go out on top. She still could but I also feel she has been very lucky - if not too lucky so she kind of deserves to be off the podium at Sochi. Some are "blessed" with good timing (weak skaters), bad skates by others and medicocre at best by you, generous judging for you, yes you deserved the win but.. well in some cases even that is debateable the list goes on. I know she has a certain amount of power but her power and speed is not that of Irina Slutskaya though she gets rewarded pc wise like she is at that level. Her technical elements right now in respect to jumps are arguably lower than say Liz Manley or Denise Biellman. She was also very lucky to go to the last Olympics I believe when her compatriot arguably earned the spot and I believe beat her at Nationals (somewhere she was lucky to be given a second shot at Olympics or worlds after a bad skate.

hurrah

Medalist
Wow, wasn't really expecting that :clap:
It will be great to be able to see what Carolina can do with her more controlled skating and artistry. I wonder if she will bring back the lutz?
Sochi promises to one great event with all the veterans and Russian wunderkizs in the mix!!

npavel

On the Ice
.. I know she has a certain amount of power but her power and speed is not that of Irina Slutskaya though she gets rewarded pc wise like she is at that level. ..
common, she has much higher skating skills than Slutskaya and is faster than her. Carolinas artistry and connection to the music is greater an Slutskaya. If you say Slutskaya a more difficult jump lay-out, ok, it's true, and it was due to injury Carolina had to take away some jumps she always had until her injury on her knees

...She was also very lucky to go to the last Olympics I believe when her compatriot arguably earned the spot and I believe beat her at Nationals (somewhere she was lucky to be given a second shot at Olympics or worlds after a bad skate.
you are wrong, she earned the spot beating Valentina at Euros and being European Champion 2010
Carolina has develop such skills, artistry and presentation. She really shows what figure skating is, not only jump, jump, jump with nothing in between.

I'm so happy she will continue for two more years, that are great news. :D

mateusp1

On the Ice
... I know she has a certain amount of power but her power and speed is not that of Irina Slutskaya though she gets rewarded pc wise like she is at that level. Her technical elements right now in respect to jumps are arguably lower than say Liz Manley or Denise Biellman.

I like Slutskaya's skating. She is very good. But, I have to say that you cannot compare Carolina with Irina. They have totally different styles. Also, Carolina is MUCH FASTER than Irina. Slutskaya had awesome skills, great jumps and a unique style. For me, she was a "much better version of Leonova". But comparing Carolina with Irina, at least for me, does not make much sense.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
common, she has much higher skating skills than Slutskaya and is faster than her. Carolinas artistry and connection to the music is greater an Slutskaya. If you say Slutskaya a more difficult jump lay-out, ok, it's true, and it was due to injury Carolina had to take away some jumps she always had until her injury on her knees

you are wrong, she earned the spot beating Valentina at Euros and being European Champion 2010
Carolina has develop such skills, artistry and presentation. She really shows what figure skating is, not only jump, jump, jump with nothing in between.

I'm so happy she will continue for two more years, that are great news. :D

What I am saying is that Italy could have gone with Marchesi by nationals - Carolina knew she was lucky and you can't deny some of her medals at worlds were questionable or at least extremely lucky. I do think she will do well because it is like she is the golden girl. I am not sure Carolina skates faster than Irina but that is pointless to argue. It just feels to me Carolina has had her time in the sun. I think though she may be like Witt - a cat that always lands on her feet. But I hear all you Kostner fans. Olympics will be exciting yes but sad only 3 medals. If things are like this then I say bring on Joannie and why not Sasha too :)