BC/YT Section Summerskate (in Burnaby, BC), August 16-19 | Golden Skate

BC/YT Section Summerskate (in Burnaby, BC), August 16-19

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last edited:

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I noticed Kevin Reynolds and Jeremy Ten listed. I also notice a boy named Garrison Beacom. Coincidence? Or is he related to Gary Beacom?

geoskate

On the Ice
Bumping this up because the event is being live-streamed, with archived videos. Go to the Skate Canada BC website or to Skatebuzz's Ustream page (http://www.ustream.tv/user/Skatebuzz. The BC Website has direct links to the streaming; the Ustream siite has a drop-down menu in the upper right-hand corner which lists the options. This event is the Super Series Summer Skate Rink 1 and Super Series Summer Skate Rink2.

thumbyskates

Rinkside
Kevin Reynolds and Jeremy Ten skated in Senior Men tonight. Kevin Reynolds did a 4Lo - guessing <.
Jeremy rotated and fell on his 3A.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Busy weekend! I'm having to see a lot archived except I'm gluing myself to the dance live,,Am I predictable ?

I just have to say..Madeline Edwards and Zao Kai Pang are looking really good for this time of year. There's a lot if "It" from both of them in this SD :

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24784128

This suits O/W really well..Thomas looks good as a cowboy , I must say !

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24784725

I liked all 3 junior programs (4 counting Aghai / Partanen..sp ? who, I think, have improved a lot in their 2nd yr.)
Bruser/Lum had a few little problems ( fixable)..and Dalmer /Firus ( whose music choices I love ) had his boot strap come loose..Really praying for Shane and Timothy to grow ( Grow, Boys!). I really like the way both of them move.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
colleen, Thanks for the links!

O&W's music did not seem to be synchronized well to their steps yet, but it's a really cute program & suits them well. I wish that the segues to & from the Tennessee Waltz were not quite so abrupt.

Van As & Shindle's music had a couple polkas and what I can only call a polka waltz. I don't recognize any of the pieces, but I thought it was a really nicely constructed SD.

I hope Pang & Edwards will be on the JGP--that was a great program; very promising. Bruser & Lum not so much, though the blues pattern dance was quite nice. Maybe it will gel later; I hope so.

geoskate

On the Ice
I wish that the segues to & from the Tennessee Waltz were not quite so abrupt.

I totally agree with you on that. It should be possible to fix that with a bit of ingenuity on the part of their music editors. Get to work, music editors! I like the program overall, though, and that's saying something because I don't generally like country music. I think it works considerably better than Pechelat/Bourzat's attempt at a country music program two or three years ago.

Regarding Edwards/Pang, they are assigned to the JGP in France. They look ready. It also looks like they have grown to their mature heights, more or less, and should be set for the long term.

Bruser/Lum are assigned to the JGP in Lake Placid. Here I agree their short dance didn't look great. They must have simply had an off day, since the program here scored 3 points lower than at the Lake Placid Ice Dance competition. Usually the scores for ice dancers improve from the first competition to the second as they fix levels, etc, so to see a regression of three points suggests that things did not go well for them.

Dalmer/Firus are currently subs for the JGP France, JGP Lake Placid, and the JGP Graz, so they are on Skate Canada's radar.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's a good point about Bruser & Lum. Generally you would expect to do the same or better in a national competition than in an international competition like LPIDC. It may well have been an off day. And I must say their blues pattern dance was better than the rest of the program; perhaps they had been concentrating on that.

slipslidin

On the Ice
Orford and Williams have a great little western number. I expected them to go that way, as I believe they are both originally from Calgary. And in keeping with their "unknown" status, Skatebuzz mentions them as the 'Junior squad of Orford and Williams'. Come on Skatebuzz, there were only two senior teams there!
It's been a while since I've been as impressed with a Junior team as I am with Edwards and Pang, not since Samuelson and Bates, and I hope I haven't jinxed them by saying that.
I expect Bruser and Lum to hit one over the fence in their free dance, based on their past history, that's how they react to a set-back.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
doris..Yes , I think O/W's program is pretty good for their look. Thomas looks completely natural..you know, like, if Charlie was born for tail coats , then Thomas -...:biggrin:.. I"m very glad it's not a "Rootin-Tootin Cowboy" number, but more of a western social dance piece. And they've got a good long time to work out the kinks before their first GP..I would think it would be a pretty audience friendly number in Russia and Japan.. I agree about the music cut , athough heaven knows we've heard far worse.

As for me, I have to deal with the disembodied voice of my dear departed mother ranting from the upper realms, since I think that's Anne Murray's Tennesee Waltz ... and when she was on this plane , Mother never passed up a chance to rag on her..:laugh:

I'm sorry B/L had a bit of a rough go , but I think they can bounce back.. As I said ,I think all 3 Jrs. have very entertaining programs, and good costumes ..and I don't think E/P will have much problem picking up a second JGP if that's their starting point.

I'm looking forward to the FD's..

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Ahhhh! I just knew it ! ... D/F's SD is I Got a Woman ..by ! RAY CHARLES ! , and Don't Cry Baby ...by ! ETTA JAMES !..now that's the way to pick music for a blues SD...:biggrin: no wonder I was smitten !

I only wish I liked the music from Cats ( their FD) anywhere near as well.

slipslidin

On the Ice
Dang, I did want to see E/P's free dance, it was so well recieved at Lake Placid.
It's too bad they didn't archive O/W's free dance, there was lots I would like to see again. Oh, well, last year they just shut off the camera and didn't show it at all. Helps with the anonymity , I suppose.

slipslidin

On the Ice
Do you know, I had forgotten the movie 'High Society'. I wish I could look at O/W's free dance again, there was lots of intricacy there. Nicole's dress is fabulous, looks like bias cut blue silk, and although it has a long, flared skirt, it clings to her body and doesn't conceal her lines. Very classy and original, and I'm pretty sure we'll see some imitators.

ETA: Happily Thomas didn't shave his head to look like Bing Crosby.

geoskate

On the Ice
Do you know, I had forgotten the movie 'High Society'.

When I hear 'High Society", I always think of Bourne/Kraatz's free dance to that movie score. I hadn't been watching figure skating for very long at that point, and that free skate made me sit up and take notice of them. The judges liked it, too.

Hopefully Orford/William's program lives up to that example in terms of impact.