Other Canadian competitions (Minto, Prairie Skate, Wild Rose, etc) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Other Canadian competitions (Minto, Prairie Skate, Wild Rose, etc)

hohoho

On the Ice
I notice there is no results for Senior Ladies at Prairie Skate. Wasn't Kaleigh Hole scheduled to skate there?

geoskate

On the Ice
Yes, she was entered. I wonder what happened. She was also entered in a competition in the States somewhere (I don't remember which one) and didn't skate there either. Hopefully she's not injured.

In other news, the results for Summer Sizzle are now posted.

geoskate

On the Ice
The detailed results for the men's long program are interesting. Could Andrei Rogozine be planning to start his program off with a quad? It certainly looks like it. A double salchow (or even a triple salchow) as the first jump isn't usual, but a doubled salchow as the result of a quad salchow attempt seems likely to me.

In any case, he skated very well, with seven clean triples including two triple Axels, one in combination with a triple toe.

geoskate

On the Ice
Also the Souvenir Georges-Ethier competition is being held in Quebec this weekend. The event is being live-streamed and archived, with the links to the programs at the two ice sheets here. The first utream link is for rink #1 (glace 1) and the second link is for rink#2. Duhamel/Radford and Takahashi/Tran skated their short programs in rink #1 (first link). You have to scroll down past the senior women and men short programs to get to the pairs short programs.

Results for the competition are here.

hohoho

On the Ice
What is happening with Natasha Purich. She skated Senior about a month ago. At Georges-Ethier she skated Junior with not great results. Has the puberty monster set in? Was the move to Quebec to train not a good idea?

geoskate

On the Ice
Have a look at how she skated in the pairs long program and make your own assessment of how she is skating. Personally I'd say she's doing well. She landed both the 3T and the 3S in the long program,as well as a good throw 3S with a slight touchdown of the hand. On the pair elements they clearly still have a lot of work to do (their side-by-sdie pair spins were atrocious, for example), but she seems to me to be skating as well as she ever did. I think this pairing may end up being a positive thing for her, once they've had more time together.

ETA: According to tracings.net, her birthdate is June 5,1995 and his birthdate is in May 1994. I think that means they have two seasons of junior eligiblity left, but perhaps someone with more knowledge of these things can confirm that. If that's correct, though, then they have lots of time left to gel as a pair and improve their pair elements.

Last edited:

geoskate

On the Ice
On another topic, results for two other regional competitions have been posted:

The Isabelle Henderson competition in the western Ontario section ran from September 21-23 in Paris, Ontario. The results are here. http://www.skating-wos.on.ca/results/2012-13/12henderson/index.htm. In senior men Shaquille Davis had probably the best short program of his career (57 points, including a triple axel) but his long program was not as good (93 points). Is he still eligible for junior competition? His birthday is in August 1992. Madelyn Dunley, a sub for some of the JGP competitions and last season's novice champion, was skating in the junior women's competition.

The Sask Skate/Sask Open competition ran from September 28-30. Results for that competition are here. (Scroll down past the Prairie Skate results). To me one interesting entry was that of Garrett Gosselin in senior men (4th in junior men at Canadians in 2011. I was wondering if he had retired, since he didn't skate at sectionals, Challenge or Canadians last season, but it looks like he's back.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Does anyone know if Octoberfest, which is being held in Barrie this weekend, will be on SkateBuzz or livestreaming? Just had a look, and it's now a 4 day competition? Wow.

geoskate

On the Ice
I haven't been able to find it. A previous poster (I think on this forum) suggested that the COS competitions might not be live-streamed, because one of the sponsors for the competitions sells videos of the skaters. So far that's been correct, apparently.

In any case, the schedule for Octoberfest is here, and the results are at this link. Most of the novice events have taken place, and today the juniors and seniors start.

The senior men's competition is stronger than might be expected for a regional competition, with Nobunari Oda and Andrei Rogozine entered, for example. The women's competition might be a foretast of the fight for bronze in senior ladies, with Alaine Chartrand, Gabrielle Daleman and Adriana DeSanctis entered (although I suppose Gabrielle Daleman is young enough that she might be competing in juniors at Canadlans).

geoskate

On the Ice
One competition that is being live-streamed this weekend is the Autumn Leaves competition in BC. This link brings up the main BC section page. The links to the live-streaming are on the right-hand side of the page, about halfway down (white arrows on a blue background).

Schedule for the competition is here. The novice and junior women's short programs and novice men's short programs took place yesterday, and their free programs are today starting at about 5 PM local time. All these events take place in Rink #1. Results are at this link. There's also a tab on this page for archived programs from the competition.