Project Runway Alert: It starts Thursday 7/19 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Project Runway Alert: It starts Thursday 7/19

heyang

Record Breaker
If I recall correctly, Uli's collection moved away from her standard long flowy colorful dresses. She did a lot of separates that could be worn in the office - it was surprising.

I really wish Michael Knight hadn't choked because I enjoyed so much of his work throughout their season. Did not care for winner Jeffrey.

Agreed! I found Jeffrey's style very uncongenial and strongly disliked his behavior. That yellow plaid dress that won the Couture challenge (I really preferred Ulli's dress, and I think Michael's)--ugh! You have to be a gorgeous model even to look passable in yellow plaid. I was so glad when Ulli won the final challenge before the runway episodes.

Michael's clothing (up until the final challenge and then the runway) was wonderful, and his personality is mature and warm. In the brief time I watched the Real Housewives of Atlanta (until I realized that it was an excuse for grown women to shriek at one another like kindergarteners), one of the ladies set herself up as a dress designer. She made drawings, paid for the services of a real designer and seamstresses, and even hired out the purchase of the fabrics. Because Michael (by then styling himself as Mychael) was based in Atlanta, she got him to look at her collection. He was the only person, male or female, on that show who didn't address the camera in a spiteful manner in those contrived "confessional" moments. Instead, he said very quietly that if you are going to put your name on a fashion collection, you should at least choose the fabrics yourself, or things weren't going to work out well for you. He behaved like a gentleman, and I presume that he still does.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Heyang, what do you think of the final 4???

heyang

Record Breaker
http://www.lordandtaylor.com/eng/CMS/PRDress_Dress.cfm

I'm good with the final 4. Chris and Dmitry have been front runners from the start IMHO. I think Fabio has improved once he realized that the judges wanted him to not design for them - when they admired his own unique clothing. I think the choice between Sanjia and Melissa came down to point of view - Melissa has a 'look', you can usually recognize which piece is hers. Sanjia's pieces aren't as cohesive.

I watching some reruns of this season last night and it made me realize how forgettable some of the cast and outfits have been. One day you're in, and the next you're out.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just got a chance to watch last Thursday's episode. I was little surprised at Fabio's collection...the pastel colors. I really liked several pieces from Dmitry. Love the xray fabric from Christoper. Sorry, but I just don't get Melissa's collection. I really feel that the judges are upholding her. Your thoughts???

heyang

Record Breaker
In a sense, I was underwhelmed. As the judges said, none of them had a show stopping piece. A lot of the pieces were very nice, but none had great impact in the seconds it would take for the model to walk the runway.

I do think the 3 guys were better than Melissa's.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I'm very happy with the outcome of the final episode. How does everyone else feel?

I am too. Dimitry did good and I was impressed with Fabio more than I thought I would be. He really brought his collection to a whole new level. He made me cry when he said....I'm sad. Poor baby!! Fabio is so different even in his own personal dress...love it. I was surprised at Chris' collection that it didn't really jump out; he is so talented. I did love his fabric. I think I would have liked to see what Sonji would do instead of Melissa.

Apparently Fabio as runner-up gets a sum of money also, though a smaller one. He'll also be in the magazine spread. So he did get something to tide him over and help pay his bills as well as some well-deserved recognition. I did not like his color scheme, because pastels just don't do it for me, but I could see that his outfits are very good. I like Dmitri's more tailored style better. Chris had some lovely pieces. The one outfit I adored of Melissa's was that flame-colored leather dress. Did you see how she cut it out and was sewing it together? I think it was a one-piece fabric. It reminded me of some of the patterns Madeleine Vionnet used to devise in the twenties and thirties. That kind of "shape engineering" just fascinates me.

An article about Vionnet in Threads Magazine; scroll down to see some of her amazing patterns.

http://www.bettykirke.com/articles/threads/threads.html

Vionnet is one of my favorite designers ever--not that I can sew on the bias myself. Such a beautiful technique.

I just found an article about Dmitri, who's become my favorite winner after Christian Siriano. The article gives two great facts:
1. Heidi apparently has obtained several of the outfits in his final collection. (I don't know whether she pays, or whether as one of the producers, she gets first dibs.)
2. Dmitri, an ex-ballroom dancer (as a child and a teenager), loves watching Dancing with the Stars. He'd love to be a celebrity contestant. Wouldn't that be a kick?

http://theclicker.today.com/_news/2012/10/19/14560960-project-runway-winner-heidi-klum-took-half-of-my-collection?lite#__utma=14933801.201275016.1342402750.1350702245.1350736484.219&__utmb=14933801.1.10.1350736484&__utmc=14933801&__utmx=-&__utmz=14933801.1342402750.1.1.utmcsr=%28direct%29|utmccn=%28direct%29|utmcmd=%28none%29&__utmv=14933801.|8=Earned%20By=msnbc|cover=1^12=Landing%20Content=Mixed=1^13=Landing%20Hostname=www.nbcnews.com=1^30=Visit%20Type%20to%20Content=Earned%20to%20Mixed=1&__utmk=79198612

Is anyone watching Project Runway All-Stars? It's on right now.

Some great contestants, including Kayne and Ulli, two faves of mine, as well as several others. This evening, Mondo is one of the guest judges. I hope they have him on again later in the season. This guy is so articulate and authoritative! I could listen to his observations all day. He puts ideas together like a born teacher. This is going to be fun, I think. (And I have to say, I liked Wendy Pepper's dress. The woman doesn't have the greatest personality, but she's a fine designer.)