Tarasova update | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Tarasova update

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Sometimes the coach and skater just do not get a long. Simple as that. Suffice to say, a coach (especially of TT's stature) is not going to advertise this fact. What happens between a coach and a skater is their business. I am sure Sasha has her reasons for moving on to Robin and TT has her reasons for leaving Sasha.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
It will be interesting to see if the RF can wrangle three spots for World's after the men's - minus Plushenko - poor showing at last seasons Worlds. Hopefully they'll have the three slots even with Klimkin's and Timchenko's disastrous overall placements in D.C.

Griazev is ready to take second place in Moscow. He's in good shape, has been learning to manage his nerves at the big event, and the pressure is off because his status as a JGP contender means there's only a slim chance RF will send him to Worlds. They're NOT sure he can handle that much pressure and even if he does get the silver this week, it will be interesting to see how Piseev handles it. Almost no one has had good quads this season - so even without it, he's a contender.

TT's relationship with Cohen was never ended due to TT's health concerns. And Momma Sasha did indeed get too involved in the decision-making process for TT's taste.

TT's health concerns have not suddenly increased lately, she's more mentally fatigued than anything. That does not mean she is not suffering from what can at times be serious conditions...she is....all of which are aggravated by the long travel.
The health "spin" was just that...spin.

The RF's relationship with Abt has not been friendly for a long time and if there's anyone that needs to do well to make the team and get a slot for Worlds, it's him. He's viewed as over the hill by some, and too old to recover his jumps back. In other words, they may - even if he skates well, as he did in both GP short programs - NOT send him to Worlds. On the other hand, what he has going for him even if he doesn't skate up to his ability is that the others have been injured, off the ice, not in competition, etc.

It's not Zhulin's fault regarding Sasha's jumps. His jumps were fine last season - until he ripped his ankle. He's never recovered properly. Then in August he re-injured the same landing ankle the last day of his shows in Japan.

Abt didn't go to Zhulin until he was almost 26 years old. By that time, his jumping techniques were well established. What he does need is more conditioning and endurance. If Zhulin could demand more - great. But that's not his style. He's not a dictatorial trainer ala Tarasova. In his mind - it's up to the skater. If he wants it, he'll work hard. If not, he's not going to drag him around the rink...the gym...wherever.

Abt's short program shows the creativity of Zhulin, and the ability of Sasha to "sell" a program...when it doesn't go on so long he's out of steam, or bringing the presentation down by too many two-footed landings or under-rotated jumps.

Last season at the GPF he skated fine, but the two-footing and under-rotations were absolutely hammered by the judges.

He IS the wild card of RN's this season.
And nobody has more pressure than him. If he doesn't make the team, he's finished.

And that would be a tragedy.

Last edited:

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Thank you for your insight, Zanzibar. It's very sad to see Abt in this position, I've always enjoyed his skating. It is good to see that the federation is watching Griazev. I hope he can stand up to the pressure and perform at his best.

Nan

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
TT's relationship with Cohen was never ended due to TT's health concerns. And Momma Sasha did indeed get too involved in the decision-making process for TT's taste.
Based on this quote, I wonder what poor little Sasha wanted. Another question I have is why did Sasha pick Wagner? It would seem like she would pick a coach that would help her with her jump technique. Any speculations here as to why Wagner???

Dee

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the Cohens picked Wagner because
(a) She is on the East Coast, in the greater NY area
(b) She has a good reputation (she coached an OGM)
(c) She was available
(d) (most important) She had no students at the moment.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks chuckm, that makes sense. I guess Nationals may tell the whole story. I am just sorry this whole thing happened. I had hoped that Tatiana would take Sasha to gold. Now I guess I need to hope that Wagner will.

Dee