Events at Sochi Winter Olympics in 2014 to start a day early | Golden Skate

Events at Sochi Winter Olympics in 2014 to start a day early

Hey, the Russians won't have jet lag....

I think Chan should train in the Aleutian Islands for a few days ahead of time. Oh, wait...Sochi is at the other end of Russia, near the Black Sea. Let me rethink this. Maybe the Canadians and Americans should rent space in Austria or even Estonia.

Last edited:
Females soccer events at London Olympics had their first game yesterday so I think it's been usual for the olympics.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
That's true. But I think in the article they mixed something up. "Qualifying" and and "short program" simply can't be one and the same thing in FS. I would wait for the official schedule announcement.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Interesting. Just to show Russian hard working ethics in pursuit of perfection while we have the British Olympics decide to cut half an hour from the opening ceremony at last minute to only 3 hours after all that effort and £££.

It is still an hour shorter than the Beijing one of 4 hours. Wish I can get 25% of my Olympics tax money back. £81mill in production, it better be worth it.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Interesting. Just to show Russian hard working ethics in pursuit of perfection while we have the British Olympics decide to cut half an hour from the opening ceremony at last minute to only 3 hours after all that effort and £££.

It is still an hour shorter than the Beijing one of 4 hours. Wish I can get 25% of my Olympics tax money back. £81mill in production, it better be worth it.

os168, so you mean people in Britain DID pay an extre tax for this Olympics, other than your ordinary/normal/regular taxes?
Sorry for OT but I am curious.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
That's true. But I think in the article they mixed something up. "Qualifying" and and "short program" simply can't be one and the same thing in FS. I would wait for the official schedule announcement.

They mixed up the terminology. In other sports, you have preliminaries, and that's what they're called. In some, qualifying... in skating, you have the short program/dance. The true qualifying for the Olympics are Worlds, and a fall Senior B.

And, yes, it's typical of the Summer Olympics to start a day early, especially in sports like soccer, where there needs to be an amended schedule. The winter program has always started AFTER the opening ceremonies, because there aren't as many sports in the winter games. However, that will change, with the introduction of new sports (one being the team skating event).

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
os168, so you mean people in Britain DID pay an extre tax for this Olympics, other than your ordinary/normal/regular taxes?
Sorry for OT but I am curious.

Yes we all had to pay Olympic tax as part of our council tax bill but also a lot of it is hidden. For example everybody has to paying 20% in Value Added Tax for all goods (similar to sales tax), certainly a hike prior to 2002 of 17.5% and for a while 15%. There's a premium of £12 car congestion charge if you drive in London per day. Petrol is ridiculous despite oil is cheaper than its ever been. We are currently paying £1.34p per liter of unleaded petrol or £1.39 for Diesel. The standard petrol works out approx $2 US per liter or $7.56 per gallon, more than double of those from the US. There are car tax on top of it depends on which car you have, and just higher income tax in general compare to Asia and the US (But then we have the NHS). It is a bad economic times in UK, so it all had to come from somewhere.

<snip>

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

I think Chan should train in the Aleutian Islands for a few days ahead of time. Oh, wait...Sochi is at the other end of Russia, near the Black Sea. Let me rethink this. Maybe the Canadians and Americans should rent space in Austria or even Estonia.

I know you're joking, but that wouldn't work. None of the islands that far west (east) are big enough to host a facility, it's super windy, no lakes that freeze over...

and they don't get theirr own timezone recognized so he'd be on ALASKA time, which is super behind Russia lol

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Is this just so that Lipnitskaia can beat Lipinski for youngest OGM if she wins?

Their last names are almost the same. Toni knows I have a hard time keeping the Oksanas straight. I'd be a mess if Lipnitskaya matched Lipinski's accomplishment.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Yes we all had to pay Olympic tax as part of our council tax bill but also a lot of it is hidden. For example everybody has to paying 20% in Value Added Tax for all goods (similar to sales tax), certainly a hike prior to 2002 of 17.5% and for a while 15%. There's a premium of £12 car congestion charge if you drive in London per day. Petrol is ridiculous despite oil is cheaper than its ever been. We are currently paying £1.34p per liter of unleaded petrol or £1.39 for Diesel. The standard petrol works out approx $2 US per liter or $7.56 per gallon, more than double of those from the US. There are car tax on top of it depends on which car you have, and just higher income tax in general compare to Asia and the US (But then we have the NHS). It is a bad economic times in UK, so it all had to come from somewhere.

<snip>

Os168, thanks a lot for explaining me into such details :), and I am so sorry to hear that people have to pay taxes that much, some hidden, in such verious ways...:no: (fyi, the consumption tax in Japan is 5% right now. The government is trying to raise it up to 8% in April 2014 then 10% in October 2015, but is having a pretty hard time to get an approval from the House of Councilors (=the Upper House).)
I guess all the people in the Great Britain would get only half of their salary/income after taxes. And above all, I am surprised the most by 'car congestion charge'. People have to pay £12 PER DAY just going into the city of London??? If you use a car to go to work every day, you have to pay something like £240 a month, don't you? :eek:

I m still paying for 2004 Olympics. :)

:eek: But 8 years since then..again sorry to hear that, seniorita.

Reginald

Match Penalty
Predictions
Ladies (Head)
1. Yu-Na Kim
2. Mao Asada
3. Ashley Wagner
4. Akiko Suzuki
5. Carolina Kosner
6. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
7. Julia Lipnitskaia
8. Gracie Gold
9. Kanako Murakami
10. Kaetlyn Osmond

Ladies (Heart)
1. Caroline Zhang
2. Mirai Nagasu
3. Ashley Wagner
4. Alexe Gilles (Canada)
5. Yrétha Silété (France)
6. Yu-Na Kim
7. Kexin Zhang
8. Julia Lipnitskaia
9. Akiko Suzuki
10. Fumie Suguri

Men (Head)
1. Evgeny Plushenko
2. Daisuke Takahashi
3. Patrick Chan

Dance
1. Davis/White
2. Virtue/Moir
3. Pechalat/Bourzat

Pairs
1. Savchenko/Szolkowy
2. Volosozhar/Trankov
3. Xiaoyu/Yang

let`s talk

Match Penalty
"Izvestia" published the approximate price list for Sochi tickets:

Ice hockey Men:

Final game for Gold: 7k-40k RUB ($231-$1320).
Match for Bronze: 4k-23k RUB ($132-$759)
Group matches: 1.2k-7k RUB ($39-$231)
1/4 matches: 3k-17k RUB ($99-$561)
1/2 matches: 4k-23k RUB ($132-$759)
play-off matches: 2k-13k RUB ($66-$429)

Figure skating:

Pairs events: 1.5k-23k RUB ($49-$759)
Men, Ladies events: 2k-20k RUB ($66-$660)

Stroll down, there is a chart of tickets prices by sport in Sochi (in blue) compared to Vacouver (in black): http://izvestia.ru/news/543298
Convert the money here: www.xe.com :)

Krislite

Medalist
Predictions
Ladies (Head)
1. Yu-Na Kim
2. Mao Asada
3. Ashley Wagner
4. Akiko Suzuki
5. Carolina Kosner
6. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
7. Julia Lipnitskaia