DWTS All-Stars | Golden Skate

DWTS All-Stars

heyang

Record Breaker
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/07/27/dancing-with-the-stars-and-the-all-stars-are/

ABC announced the lineup today for Dancing with the Stars: All Stars, which bows Sept. 24. And they are:

Pamela Anderson (season 10, withdrew after fourth round)
Emmitt Smith (season 3, winner)
Kelly Monaco (season 1, winner)
Shawn Johnson (season 8, champion)
Melissa Rycroft (season 8, third place)
Joey Fatone (season 4, second place)
Drew Lachey (season 2, winner)
Bristol Palin (season 11, third place)
Kirstie Alley (season 12, second place)
Helio Castroneves (season 5, winner)
Gilles Marini (season 8, second place)
Apolo Ohno (season four, champion)

In addition, viewers will choose the 13th dancer out of a pool of three: Kyle Massey, Sabrina Bryan, and Carson Kressley. Fans have until Aug. 24 to make their selections on ABC.com.

UGH - Bristol Palin????? Otherwise, I enjoyed the others as far as their dancing and most of their personalities.

Johar

Medalist
Good Lord now we have to have Bristol inflicted upon us again. She is like a bad intestional bug that won't go away.

I wish we could choose the 13th contestant out of Kristi Yamaguchi, Kristi Yamaguchi, and Kristi Yamaguchi, :

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

heyang

Record Breaker
It's sad to think I would rather see Pamela Anderson than Bristol Palin.

I was hoping Evan would be back.

Glad that Shawn Johnson is back.

Gilles Marini is back, I like looking at him, did he dance???

Merrywidow, I'm with you ---- I enjoyed Carson so much!!!

Gilles vs Shawn was one of the finales where I thought the wrong person won. DWTS definitely helped Gilles career.
I would've preferred to see Kristi back vs Evan.

I wonder how they'll pair them up with pros. Not everyone can be paired with their prior pro (i.e. Cheryl cant dance with both Emmett and Drew. I'm thinking that none of them should be paired with their previous pro.

I've been thinking about that. To be fair, since they can't give everyone his/her original pro, pairing everyone up with someone new would probably be the best solution. That might take some effort to achieve, because of height issues. Apolo and Drew aren't that tall, so petite partners are needed, and Kirstie is tallish (though lighter now) and needs a bigger guy. Speaking of dancers with unusual heights, I wish Stacy Kiebler could come back on, though I understand why she might not want to in this stage of her life. She was one of the most charming and talented contestants ever, and I remember being torn between rooting for her and rooting for Drew. It will be great to see Drew again.

Gilles certainly did get a career boost from DWTS. So did Mario Lopez, despite the fact that he came in second. I loved Emmitt--he was my favorite football player contestant for grace and pizazz. However, I think Mario was marginally the better dancer that season and I feel he should have won, though Emmitt was good enough so that his win wasn't unreasonable. I wish Mario were on this All-Stars show, but I'm sure he's way too busy now, with all his TV shows and his new family.

heyang

Record Breaker
I've been thinking about that. To be fair, since they can't give everyone his/her original pro, pairing everyone up with someone new would probably be the best solution. That might take some effort to achieve, because of height issues. Apolo and Drew aren't that tall, so petite partners are needed, and Kirstie is tallish (though lighter now) and needs a bigger guy. Speaking of dancers with unusual heights, I wish Stacy Kiebler could come back on, though I understand why she might not want to in this stage of her life. She was one of the most charming and talented contestants ever, and I remember being torn between rooting for her and rooting for Drew. It will be great to see Drew again.

Gilles certainly did get a career boost from DWTS. So did Mario Lopez, despite the fact that he came in second. I loved Emmitt--he was my favorite football player contestant for grace and pizazz. However, I think Mario was marginally the better dancer that season and I feel he should have won, though Emmitt was good enough so that his win wasn't unreasonable. I wish Mario were on this All-Stars show, but I'm sure he's way too busy now, with all his TV shows and his new family.

I know the judges loved Staci and I could appreciate her abilities, but Drew was my favorite of that season. I think there was a letdown during Staci's freestyle, too, since I think she injured her ankle that week, which probably lost her some votes.

I think Emmit might've beaten Mario due to likability. Mario came off as a bit slick, which may have turned off some voters.

The problem with fan based votes is that it's not only about skill; personality and fan base are involved too. Now, there's also fan base of the pro, as well. If it was just about skill of the 'star', Kate Gosselin, Billy Ray Cyrus and Bristol Palin, Master P and others would've been voted off much more quickly.

I agree that Emmit's likability might have put him ahead of Mario. Because Emmit really was a good dancer, it wasn't an unjust result. You could certainly make a case that he was the better dancer of the two, though it will take me many long years to forget the gorgeous and riveting paso doble to "El Mariachi."

In general, I'm a bit sorry that football players seem to have an automatic edge over everyone else, unless they're real stiffs, but what are you going to do. Team sports are the most popular viewing pleasure in the U.S. It's not as if a cash prize is at stake, and realistically, everyone who goes on that show can end up benefiting from the exposure, so it's a win-win situation. This time around I was a bit more disappointed that Donald won, because he didn't have the fluidity that Emmit had. But he wasn't awful, and he improved through the season as well.

I also agree with you about the fan base of the pros. I know that Ashley del Grosso was so endearing that she probably got a few votes for Mr. P. well past his freshness date. And Kate's partner was the popular Tony Dovolani.

One group that is conspicuously absent from the All-Stars is the young Disney contestants. They've generally been both stellar and popular with the audience--Sabrina Bryan, Kyle Massey, and Roshon Fegan are the ones I recall. Maybe they weren't free because of other obligations, but it's too bad. (I know that Kyle was in the touring live show.) Maybe if this season is successful, there will be another one in the future.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Hey a lot of football players got moves... Specially those from the era of endzone dances! Jerry Rice is, of course, my favorite!

heyang

Record Breaker
In general, I'm a bit sorry that football players seem to have an automatic edge over everyone else, unless they're real stiffs, but what are you going to do. Team sports are the most popular viewing pleasure in the U.S. It's not as if a cash prize is at stake, and realistically, everyone who goes on that show can end up benefiting from the exposure, so it's a win-win situation. This time around I was a bit more disappointed that Donald won, because he didn't have the fluidity that Emmit had. But he wasn't awful, and he improved through the season as well.

One group that is conspicuously absent from the All-Stars is the young Disney contestants. They've generally been both stellar and popular with the audience--Sabrina Bryan, Kyle Massey, and Roshon Fegan are the ones I recall. Maybe they weren't free because of other obligations, but it's too bad. (I know that Kyle was in the touring live show.) Maybe if this season is successful, there will be another one in the future.

Actually, it's athletes who generally have the advantage. If you look at past winners, athletes comprise the largest % of winners. Generally, they are physically co-ordinated and know how to train and compete. If they have any sense of rythym, they are in the finale. I think Clyde Drexler probably had the most difficulty due to his extreme height and his partner's petiteness - I don't think they have basketball players fill the athlete niche anymore.

Sabrina and Kyle are both in the wild card category as related to participating. I'd rather see either one of them before Carson. The 2 of them can dance. Carson's comic, but not the best dancer of the 3.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
I also agree with you about the fan base of the pros. I know that Ashley del Grosso was so endearing that she probably got a few votes for Mr. P. well past his freshness date. And Kate's partner was the popular Tony Dovolani.

Sabrina and Kyle were both in the Las Vegas show, which I think was extended and is still running. It will be interesting to see who gets the 13th spot. I think Sabrina is largely forgotten, but who knows.

Disney and ABC are part of the same company. As long as DWTS exists, there will be Disney kids among the celebrities.

The only contestant I think won't stand a chance is Kelly Monaco. I predict she's the first one eliminated. I hope she's not foisted onto Tristan or Val. They both deserve someone a little more gifted.

heyang

Record Breaker
The only contestant I think won't stand a chance is Kelly Monaco. I predict she's the first one eliminated. I hope she's not foisted onto Tristan or Val. They both deserve someone a little more gifted.

You're forgetting the loyalty of the soap fans. Kelly is portrays a major role on ABC's remaining soap opera. GH fans (and fans of the cancelled AMC and OLTL) will likely vote for her just to show ABC that soap fans are a strong presence. While John Hurley was better at the standard ballroom dances, Kelly was better than him at the Latin dances. She also improved significantly during her abbreviated season - whereas JH did not show as much improvement. It's possible that her standard dances would've improved with another week or two, as well. Physically, she's in better shape now than she was when DWTS season 1 occurred. Afterwards, she also performed in a cabaret show in Vegas. So, while she hasn't danced ballroom in a while, I would still put her ahead of Pam Anderson and Bristol Palin as related to dancing.

heyang

Record Breaker
Forgot to add that Kelly's biggest issue might her work schedule. Her character is part of a major plot line right now. The writers may or may not be able to lessen her dialogue by September or do some advance filming, etc.

Sabrina is a great dancer, but she didn't have the fan base to get her to the end. Other than DWTS and Cheetah Girls (which I only heard of because of DWTS. Is the group even still together?), I don't know if she's 'current' anymore.

Kyle Massey was also fun to watch, but as a supporting actor in a show that's no longer on air, I dont' know if he has strong fan base support.