DWTS All-Stars | Page 2 | Golden Skate

DWTS All-Stars

Actually, it's athletes who generally have the advantage. If you look at past winners, athletes comprise the largest % of winners. Generally, they are physically co-ordinated and know how to train and compete. If they have any sense of rythym, they are in the finale. I think Clyde Drexler probably had the most difficulty due to his extreme height and his partner's petiteness - I don't think they have basketball players fill the athlete niche anymore.

Sabrina and Kyle are both in the wild card category as related to participating. I'd rather see either one of them before Carson. The 2 of them can dance. Carson's comic, but not the best dancer of the 3.

I didn't mean a physical advantage. I think football players have a fan base advantage. They're physically coordinated and know how to train and compete, as you say. But often they're less graceful than other contestants. What puts them over the top again and again is fan votes. Someone like Apolo Ohno isn't that well known outside of fans of that sport, so it's more of an uphill battle for an athlete in an obscure sport to get voters to choose him/her over some other contestant. Football players are known by everyone. That's more what I meant.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think that was missed on anyone, Olympia... but like Ang says - football players aren't the only one: soap stars and basketball players also get a lot of help from their fans.

Oh. Okay. With that I agree; soap stars certainly have a following. And Osmonds! And basketball players to, of course, though their height often makes them less graceful, so they lose votes with the general public.

Not that I mind that the more popular or better known celebrities get more votes. Followers mean viewers, which mean ratings. That keeps a show going and popular. I don't get as distressed if "my" dancers don't win as I would if, say "my' skaters don't win at the Olympics. These things are going to happen. The only time it bothers me is if a clearly less talented contestant beats someone who's really good. I mean, if Metta World Peace had made it all the way to the end on the strength of his sports excellence, I'd have been very peeved.

I always find it interesting that models often get the fewest votes. I guess this proves that the show is watched mostly by women.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wouldn't say it isn't watched by as many men... it's just that they don't vote as often/hard.

heyang

Record Breaker
I always find it interesting that models often get the fewest votes. I guess this proves that the show is watched mostly by women.

For me, most of the models on DWTS haven't been particularly graceful. They seem very stiff. I don't know if any of the models have had a big fan base either - I had never heard of most of them before DWTS and don't recall all of them after DWTS either.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I actually like that Bristol Palin appears on this--she's like the Tonya Harding of DWTS.

That article about Hope Solo and Maksim is so disturbing. Neither of those two is completely believable, unfortunately, and it's hard to know what to think.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did anyone watch??

I'll take a wild guess that Pamela may be going home. Poor Pamela looked like she was going to have a heart attack last night. I was so impressed with Kirstie...she did super.

I watched! Yes, I felt bad for Pam, because she didn't crack a smile, even at the end when everyone was waving and smiling. Doesn't she know that a smile will get you a vote or two?

Kirstie did very well, I thought, but the one who impressed me the most was Shaun. It may just be that I love Derek's choreography, always have, and when he has a worthy partner, he goes all out. The other of my favorites last night was Emmitt. That guy is a walking smile. Besides his effervescent personality, he's got such grace. Some of the other football players have been fast on their feet like Emmitt, but none of them have had his fluidity. Cheryl must be in dance heaven right now.

I loved seeing Helio again, though I suspect he won't last overly long on judges' points. (He may get voted through a few times on the strength of his personality and the popularity of his sport, of course). He, Apolo, Drew, and Gilles are all pretty effective in the spotlight.

Man, it's tough to root for a winner with so many of the best dancers competing against one another! I can just about narrow it down to Shaun vs. Emmitt. Shaun also happens to be partnered with just about my favorite pro dancer, Derek, so that pushes her half a step ahead of Emmitt, I guess.

It's going to be interesting to see how Sabrina B. and Shaun do against each other. They're both curvy petite blondes with great smiles and dance/athletic training, and I think some audience members are even going to mix them up.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I know - they are a lot alike, aren't they?

After watching last night, I have to admit I am getting a little sick of the show. It seems like, same old, same old.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loved seeing Helio again, though I suspect he won't last overly long on judges' points. (He may get voted through a few times on the strength of his personality and the popularity of his sport, of course). He, Apolo, Drew, and Gilles are all pretty effective in the spotlight.

Olympia, I am not understanding your comment about Helio. Don't you think he's a good dancer??

Shaun also happens to be partnered with just about my favorite pro dancer, Derek, so that pushes her half a step ahead of Emmitt, I guess.

I am not a big fan of Derek so I am sorry to see Shaun paired with him.

heyang

Record Breaker
Oh why, oh why did ABC have a 2 hour results show tonight? I thought they'd be doing a 2nd dance; otherwise, I would've cancelled the dvr from recording...... Results shows should be 30 minutes - that would still allow them to draw out the drama and have the 2 guest dance routines.

Emmett was my favorite. He is so smooth and so obviously enjoying himself - love the smile.

Gilles is another favorite.

Kelly Monaco surprised me. She picked up right where she left off at the end of season 1. That's pretty good for not dancing in 7 years and Latin was her strong point by the end of her season.

Helio is fun to watch, but in comparison to some other contestants, he's a bit more awkward in some of his movements.

Bristol was better than I remembered, but I still don't want to see her mother on screen. Why no show other people's mothers and talk to them, too? Bristol's got the shimmy going, but not much else right now.

Shaun and Sabrina did really well, too,.... and they do really look alike.

I would've had Pam Anderson, Kirstie Alley and Bristol in the bottom.

I think it's justified that Pam went home, though I feel sorry for her because she wasn't able to do a good job. I would have been really sorry if Drew had gone home the first week.

Dee, I love Helio and rooted for him throughout his season, but the standard has gone up so much that I'm afraid that just being a good dancer might not be enough for him this time around. Two of the other athletes taking part are "body" athletes: they train moves that no ordinary person can do. Helio does his athletic job sitting down. I know that driving takes strength, but it doesn't take flexibility in the same way that gymnastics or short-track skating does. And then there's Sabrina, who's got dance training, the two boy band guys, and one of the best naturally gifted dancers in the history of the show, Emmitt. (Who also knows how to train hard physically and is very disciplined, making him extra-formidable. And his partner is one of the show's best choreographers, Cheryl.) Additionally, Melissa probably has some movement training. So a lot of competition is stacked up against Helio. He could win on popularity, but I don't think he's going to win on judging, because I don't think his moves will get him a higher score than Emmitt's, Apolo's, or Shaun's on any given week. In terms of chemistry, he's got competition from Gilles. (Though I'd choose Helio over Gilles most of the time. I do love Helio!)

I wish they'd just let everyone dance all through this season and then rank them. I hate to think that we have to say goodbye to favorites every week.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Melissa certainly looks to me as someone who has had ballet; judges were enthusing over her "lines." And I'd love to see Tony rank up higher than he has in the past. I just love his dancing and attitude.