New Adult Skater: Advice on increasing flexibility? | Golden Skate

New Adult Skater: Advice on increasing flexibility?

tietzd83

Rinkside
I am wondering if anyone has suggestions to help a 45 year old newbie to increase his flexibility. I know the old muscles won't work the way the did a few decades ago but I hope there's some hope for improvement.

Oh... any suggestions on how to do the backward swizzle. I am getting better at going forward but I can hardly get any movement when I attempt to go backwards. It's making the rocking horse seem out of reach at the moment. :(

tietzd83

Rinkside
I don't think so... isn't the twizzle a fairly advanced maneuver?

I am trying to do a rocking horse but can't go backwards. I can go forwards, get my skates pointed at each other, and then I am stuck???

mskater93

Record Breaker
Swizzle - like your bubbles. Tietzd83 - you probably are breaking at the waist and not bending your knees.

As for flexibility, a good basic yoga class will help (and help strengthen your core and help overall body awareness)

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Also, don't forget to make sure your muscles are sufficiently warm before stretching.

tietzd83

Rinkside
I am, but it sure does feel strange... I was trying again today with the help of some of my former sixth grade students but no luck. I don't know if it is just my age or lack of flexibility at this point, put I have a hard time twisting my ankles so that the skates are pointing towards each other. I can do it without skates on??? Then I just don't understand where you start the momentum (pressure) to get the backwards motion (I hope that makes sense). I have my second lesson tomorrow but was really hoping to have that down before I got there.

Took my first big fall today. ): It was probably stupid to try a left foot glide at my ability level but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Important leson of the day... ice can hurt!

sarahspins

Rinkside
I have a hard time twisting my ankles so that the skates are pointing towards each other. I can do it without skates on??? Then I just don't understand where you start the momentum (pressure) to get the backwards motion (I hope that makes sense).

Off ice you have friction on your side... it's not a flexibility issue, the problem is that on the ice you pretty much have to rely on muscle alone to do hold the position, an at this stage you either haven't developed those muscles yet (not uncommon depending on your athletic background) or you don't have the body awareness required to use them independently yet... both of which are fixed with time and practice. As far as the push to start backwards, I think it's more of a gentle outwards pull.. you don't have to push super hard, just pull your feet apart (think about pulling your heels apart) while straightening your knees and it should move you backwards a little (try it at the wall if you're worried about falling or losing your balance). Usually pulling the feet back together at the end is the hard part for either forward or backwards swizzles since most beginning skaters don't have very developed adductors.

tietzd83

Rinkside
That makes a lot of sense, thank you... Are there any stretches/exercises that I can do off the ice that will help develop the needed muscles?

tietzd83

Rinkside
So, now I have a question about dips... How straight should your back be? It feels straight to me but then I look at the reflection in the wall to find out it is not. Can I just pass this off as an old person problem??

sarahspins

Rinkside
It shouldn't be too straight.. there is some bending over (and reaching forwards a little) that occurs with the dip, otherwise it's impossible to keep your balance.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
On dips keep your back straight, but not necessarily perpendicular to the floor. You have to lean forward. Try leg lifts while lying on your side. That will work the inner and outer thighs.

Dreaswi

Rinkside
Also instead of yoga I do Pilates. It's is similar to yoga but is concentrated on muscle work than yoga's philosophy of mind, body, and spirit. Yoga puts me to sleep (literally). I had to be woken up from our 10 minute meditation at the end of class. I could hardly drive home. After Pilates I feel like I had a good workout. A big plus to yoga/Pilates is the core strengthening. That is really needed for balance. Balance happens to be my weakest area. My coach never understands how I can master elements but look like Bambi when I am just doing laps.

tietzd83

Rinkside
Thank you... I believe our local YMCA offers both. When I go to swim tomorrow morning I will check their fall schedule.

Last edited:

treesprite

Final Flight
On dips keep your back straight, but not necessarily perpendicular to the floor. You have to lean forward. Try leg lifts while lying on your side. That will work the inner and outer thighs.

I think that's the best one to start out. Once you start really trying to do forward stroking, you are going to want strength there, otherwise your hips might start to ache.

Another might be doing deep knee bends with your back straight and your arms extended at your sides like they would be while skating (not forward). That will get you used to using your knees and bending at the knees instead of the waist, using the arms for balance. Make sure to keep your head up straight looking forward.

The progression from the above is to do forward stroking in place, but exaggerating the knee bends.

I was away from skating for a long time and came back at 49, finding all of the above to be very useful for my aging out of shape body.

Good luck with the skating - it's a challenge, but is great exercise and can be very rewarding as you feel more at ease and start to feel like you are flying rather than on the ground.

Last edited:

tietzd83

Rinkside
How I wish I would have started as a youth!! Still, I remember watching our local ice show this spring, wishing I would've have learned and thinking I was too far over the hill to learn now. I can't tell you how excited I was to find that there is a place for adult skaters. Unfortunately, it seems I will paying paying more money to learn with the lack of adult skating classes here at home. Having to hire a personal coach and buy ice sure adds up. Still, I am having a great time and look forward to the three days each week I can get out to practice! I feel lucky! I'm also lucky to have found this forum!!

Dreaswi

Rinkside
I can totally understand the high expense of skating. Between ice time and coaching fees I spend approx 860 a month. 300 for ice and 560 for 2hrs a week on lessons. Then it goes up if I add adult curry at 20 a week or throw in an extra hour lesson somewhere.