Skaters with off-ice expertise | Golden Skate

Skaters with off-ice expertise

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sasha Cohen ‏@SashaCohenNYC
Please tune in to @CNBC at 11:45 to watch me discuss markets, investments, and what I'm up to with @carlquintanilla today. So excited!!!
6:24 AM - 6 Aug 12​

Carl Quintanilla ‏@carlquintanilla
This am on @CNBCSquawkSt: #Olympics figure skater (and now Columbia Univ econ student) @SashaCohenNYC, who can talk mkts like a hedgie
7:10 AM - 6 Aug 12​

lcd

Match Penalty
Way to go Sasha. But at the same time, I think it would be very natural for high achieving athletes, especially those that excelled at such a young age, to be able to translate the same set of "skills" (meaning concentration, focus, intensity, passion, 'training/education') to other fields later in life and be VERY very successful. Sasha has gone on to further her education, and this is probably this factors in quite importantly. Not to say that this is guaranteed across the board by any means, but unless a skater is a high school drop out or simply does nothing beyond the rink (which is not the case for a majority of US skaters that see at the top ranks), I would find it unsurprising that some powerful off ice skills emerge.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Agree that successful athletes are naturals for great success in other fields. To paraphrase what Tessa Virtue just told PJ Kwong: "We want to be complete people. We want to have more to offer than a four-minute performance." (Not a verbatim quote.)
Intriguing to see the wonderful diversity of paths chosen by skaters. Some apply their love of the sport to important new roles as coaches and choreographers, for instance. Others go in entirely different directions - pursuing everything from medicine to cooking.

Another tweet illustrating the impressive breadth and depth of skaters:
Mervin Tran ‏@skate_moivo
Just found out that I have been readmitted into the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of McGill. So excited!
3:03 PM - 6 Aug 12​

Last edited:
Matt Savoie :love: has a master's degree in urban planning from the University of Illinois, and law degree from Cornell Law School (interrupted by the 2006 Olympics. He should have gone to the 2002 Olympics, too, ahead of Michael Weiss -- JMO.) Now he works at the Boston law firm of Choate Hall & Stewart -- one of the oldest big league firms in New England, specializing in corporate mergers and stuff like that.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Dick Button.
Twice Olympic champion.
Lawyer
Entrepreneur
Emmy winner
and several other things

Dr. Tenley Albright, surgeon

Dr. Debi Thomas, orthopedic surgeon

Tim Goebel, mathematician, working for Nielsen (the ratings people)

Last edited:
I'm so thrilled that Sasha has been continuing her education. And remember that Sarah Hughes graduated from Yale not too long ago, and of course Michelle has her Masters from Tufts. The one high-achieving athlete that makes me a bit sad in this direction is Tara Lipinski. She barely finished high school, and she has always struck me a very smart and articulate.

It's great to hear about the others.

To add to the list, Paul Wylie graduated from Harvard undergrad, and then he got an MBA at Harvard Business school. Hmmm...Rachael Flatt is clearly going places. Isn't she majoring in bioengineering or somesuch at Stanford? I can't think of anyone else offhand.

Last edited:
Wayne Seybold (U.S. pairs skater with his sister Natalie) is the mayor of Marion, Indiana. He ran for Congress this year, but didn't make it.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Plushenko has graduated from the Lesgaft National State University of Physical Education, Sport and Health 2005, the coach department, and as well the Saint Petersburg State University of Engineering and Economics. His first wife's father is a hotel owner, he has several hotels, and hoped Plushy take over the business. But they wanted to Plushy finish the skating, this was one of the problems in their marriage.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Kristoffer Berntsson is an electrical engineer and was finishing his Master's in that subject as of last year.

Alban Preaubert was a student throughout his career, and retired after completing his MA in management. He's now working in the financial sector. Nathalie Pechalat has completed most of the requirements for the same degree, though not at the same university.

Alain Calmat, the last Frenchman to win Worlds prior to Brian Joubert, went on to become a doctor and a politician.

Petri Kokko was the Google Finland country manager and if I'm not mistaken now has a more senior position with Google. Susanna Rahkamo is a management consultant.

In a GS interview last year, it was mentioned that Lynn Kriengkrairut is a pre-med student and Logan Giulietti-Schmitt has a degree in geology.

Paul Poirier is studying linguistics and I believe he can speak (or at least understand?) several languages.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Smart Americans with their college educations :bow:

I think in Russia, you must have an advanced degree to coach. Tarasova, Moskvina, Zhuk, and many of the old-school coaches had master's degrees in physical education AND psychology.

This commercial here seems like it was done for a class. Perhaps Cynthia is attending college? http://youtu.be/CPGVZUWfL_w

Sasha Cohen ‏@SashaCohenNYC
Please tune in to @CNBC at 11:45 to watch me discuss markets, investments, and what I'm up to with @carlquintanilla today. So excited!!!
6:24 AM - 6 Aug 12​

Here is Sasha's interview. Buy dividend-paying stocks, and don't listen to the gloomy gus's that say this segment is oversaturated at the moment. Also, make a fashion statement with Sasha's line of brightly colored figure skating boots. :yes:

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000107465

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here is Sasha's interview. Buy dividend-paying stocks, and don't listen to the gloomy gus's that say this segment is oversaturated at the moment. Also, make a fashion statement with Sasha's line of brightly colored figure skating boots. :yes:

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000107465

Math, thanks so much for posting the segment. I am so proud of her...love the boots. I am so happy that she is going to school.