Rhythmic Gymnastics | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Rhythmic Gymnastics

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Olympia, unless you're thinking of someone else, Belarus' Liubou Charkashyna was definitely happy with her ribbon performance. She actually pumped both her arms in the air in triumph as soon as it finished, even though she was still holding onto the stretched ribbon at that point! I remember the BBC commentator said she might wind up breaking the ribbon! I think she knew without a doubt at that point that she'd done enough for bronze, and those tears were tears of joy and relief. She even starts laughing (while crying) when her scores came up.

I did not care that much for Charkashyna, though. There was something slightly pinched about her posture, and her movement was a bit rushed. She never really seemed to get into any of the music she uses. If only she brought half the emotional movement in her reaction after the routine to the actual routine...

Last edited:
Thanks so much, Serious. I think she was the one I meant. Her emotion was so intense that I felt she had made some mistake...she crossed herself and seemed just disconsolate. When I saw her mark, I was sure I had misinterpreted. The footage had no commentary at all, so I'm glad for your insight!