Lysacek announces return to competitive skating | Golden Skate

Lysacek announces return to competitive skating

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Evan Lysacek, the 2010 Olympic champion, announced this morning on NBC's "TODAY" his plans to return to competitive figure skating after a two-season layoff.

More

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
LOL another return announcement. He is mimicking his ex girlfriend Nastia Liukin with all the fake return announcements to keep his name in the news.

Yipes, and he just shared the news with two or three million of his closest friends. Well, I hope he does return and do well, though I'll be rooting for Daisuke.

As for resolving the financial issues with the USFSA that scuttled Evan's plans to return last year, I can't help but think that Hilton Hotels played a more active role in the negotiations this time around. Lysacek's tweet yesterday thanked Hilton HHonors (the naming sponsor of Skate America) for "hosting" him at this appearance in London.

Maybe Paris Hilton put in a good word for him. :)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Lysacek had never had a quad in SP. Also, he always used quad combo instead of single quad jump. Probably a combo was easier for him than a single quad.

Abbott does Skate America too?! This is going to be interesting!

I think he planned just a quad - not quad combo - at 2010 nationals in the FS. It was a major disaster.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice

gmyers

Record Breaker
He's done 4T-3T before. He attempted it regularly in both the SP and the LP during 07-08 season. I think his various injuries and his coaching staff realized that GOE scaling was the same for triple jumps led him to axing the quad.

True quads having no value in the previous version of COP and his injury may have lead to the all triple programs which almost everyone adopted with Lysacek being the most successful. SP was 3/3 combo 3A , triple jumps and FS was 3/5 format with 3A in the first half and starting the second half of the FS. With the GOE being so generous on triple jumps the second half of programs with 5 triples made doing quads the dumbest thing in skating. We might see with Lysaceks programs how quads could be devalued by structuring programs to maximize other things and if he wins everyone will stop doing quads again.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Did Evan make any statements regarding his relationship with Vera Wang? are they a couple or merely friends...?

It was a few years ago that Evan mentioned in an interview that Vera Wang is a family friend. I remember it because I thought: WOW, he will get his costumes with a discount, LOL.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Wishful thinking tinymavy. He is not even doing much eye contact at all. The question remains, who bought him (him?) the flashy Rolex and does she just say, "Here's the keys to my Bentley, Bud." I Think Evan sees her as a source for free costumes, suppoert and entree to really wealthy people. She could finance an "Evan" special and market him the way Boitano was. Brian skated in a better time for skating and commerce, so I think Evan is going to use this comeback to feather his nest. This isn't about just sport. He is just as much a publicity hag as Johnny. Clearly Evan wants the Beverly Hills lifestyle and if that means being Vera's date to red carpet, weddings, the next Olympics, he will do it. What bothers me is I see him now after his 'Time away" and his use (yes, use) of Vera and her money and connections as an athlete who is returning for the money, fame as much as the sport. I never read that Evan is dying to go to college or grad school and do xyz in the world. He is past having the experience that Sarah gave up a lucrative show career for. I think he is a lifer in skating, and one can't make big bux, but he is willing to make as much as he wants. I always defended Evan on this board. You don't know me, but I foolishly protected others when I needed to take care of me, always choosing the high moral ground(sinner that I am) in case some one cheeky says "Ye without self centered choices." And lost a great deal of money and more, adhering to an ethic that the world under a certain age is unaware of, and unwilling to live by. So I guess it could be a joke, poke fun at Evan, or feel kinda bad for Vera who should sue her plastic surgeon. Way too thin for 63. There is nothing wrong with love in these reversed ages, but she could be granny to him and they both look silly. I was disappointed in Evan, the best competitor we had since Boitano, and also a very good skater when not falling prey to CoP demands. The sources say there iis something going on. Evan could have come back last year and we would have an OGM going up against P Chan. I hope Ms Wang, who I am not a big fan of what she sells to America, facelifts, botox, severe boniness at 63 and a brand that is nothing special, is not being laughed at nor used for whatever Evan might find worth his time and spray tanned presence. I think he is catching up to Weir in how to manipulate for the sake of a beverly Hills lifestyle. If the skating is there, and the jumps as promised I will root for any American guy who brings it. I Guess I can't help feeling that we are getting to know evan-the real Evan since Vancouver and as a person, he is not too endearing o special. He is as annoying (almost) as Weir. I expect to see him with a team Wang team jacket on, in white or course.:rolleye:

I have seen numerous articles about this since I googled it in decent sources saying, "Something is clearly going on." I think it is called using someone when they have a broken heart. I get bad vibes from this alliance as I don't see sincerity from him. I see her as doing her best to get over a very big loss. I guess the spray tan and the skinny arms are just so intoxicating when you are flattered by a 27 year old famous athlete. Does he call her Vera or Nana? Sorry, gotta laugh at some things. I like Evan the skater but he is reminding me of Pasha Grishuk when she felt Beverly Hills was dying to have her around.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
one can live platonically. moving in and being roomies does NOT open up the rumor mill [on GS]. just as Weir's privacy was and is respected, so are the other skaters' - even Evan.

niami

Rinkside
The question remains, who bought him (him?) the flashy Rolex and does she just say, "Here's the keys to my Bentley, Bud."
I have seen numerous articles about this since I googled it in decent sources saying, "Something is clearly going on."
There is only one original article -- from the gossip section of the Daily News -- and one source within that article that suggests a relationship. Their second source disputes it:
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...ife-article-1.1115680?localLinksEnabled=false

All the other news sites and gossip sites and entertainment sites that show up on Google searches do not have any original reporting, they are just restating the Daily News item.

And as for the Rolex, I do know that Evan has been wearing a gold Rolex for several years. You can see it here the night he won the Olympics at the celebration at USA House:
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/3108/getty96876989.jpg