Doping | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Doping

skateluvr

Record Breaker
doesn't make the news? it's all they talk about these days in sports... the steroids scandals in baseball were a HUGE deal and ended up becoming political.

everything's relative. baseball, yes, big news, but I guess I tune out much. Barry Bonds gets prolonged coverage. Depend on how famous you are, which sport, etc. I'm attuned to tuning out sports like footballl/baseball so I often am under the rock,

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Just so I don't appear to be picking on the "Paper champion....ooops, make that "Chemical champion" Bolt, his notorius trainer says that 8 out 10 sprinters are using.

But what about swimmers? Is Phelps a cheater too?

Many here never wanted to believe Lance was cheating. Afterall, he is a cancer survivor ........

The other night I was sickened seeing a close up of Rogge in the stands, who had said "$o far the London game$ are a great succe$$.

I think the IOC should hang their collective heads in shame. They know exactly what is going on but as long as the Olympic$ make money not a thing will be done.

eta: Olympia, for sure there are drugs that could help gymnasts and skaters. Just increasing an athletes stamina and recovery time is enough to help them train harder and perform better. Many are already using the legal versions but how do we know if they are not crossing the line.?

You sounded like that there are no good people and no one has moral standard.

I choose to see the sunny side whether it's "naive" or not. I truly believe most of athletes are clean. A few choose to use illegal drugs and some got away with it but some got caught. You see, my world (in my eyes) is more beautiful than your world (in your eyes).:)

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
You sounded like that there are no good people and no one has moral standard.

I choose to see the sunny side whether it's "naive" or not. I truly believe most of athletes are clean. A few choose to use illegal drugs and some got away with it but some got caught. You see, my world (in my eyes) is more beautiful than your world (in your eyes).:)

Yes, that must be it.

I like optimistic people and hope someday havng a chemist as part of the training team for so many athletes will no longer be necessary.

Here is a link to an interesting article about the drug testing program for the London games.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/12/sport/drugs-london-2012-olympics-laboratory/index.html

"The fight continues and the sophistication continues on both sides. You find that athletes and those that advise athletes are more sophisticated in what they do than they were 10 years ago," he said."

Apparently IOC is trying, and they deserve credit for that.
As to their optimism - it is fair to say the effort they are making clearly shows they are convinced doping is rampant.

You don't take over 6000 samples from athletes that you think are competing clean.

Last edited:
Oh, thanks, Math. I was wondering about that too.

Toni, that image of the dogs giving urine samples is pretty hilarious. Beasts put up with a lot to hang out with us humans, don't they.

In mushing and other endurance sports I would think that drugs that help you stay awake and alert would be an advantage.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
In mushing and other endurance sports I would think that drugs that help you stay awake and alert would be an advantage.

exactly. Lance Mackey tokes up - he has a medical marajuana license - and he made a big stink when the testing came about (though he is exempt as he uses it for pain management due to his cancer a few years ago). He then said that it didn't give any advantage, but it kept him alert... the way he said it though sounded like 1. the total opposite of what a dope high looks like and 2. was a major advantage to those that didn't get to use it...

he won his 3rd title off the stuff entirely, his 4th he was using again... the last two years though, more deserving men have won.