Marley and Brubaker part ways | Golden Skate

Marley and Brubaker part ways

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
USFS -- Pairs skaters Mary Beth Marley & Rockne Brubaker, the reigning U.S. silver medalists, announced they have ended their two-season partnership. Marley is stepping away from competitive figure skating, while Brubaker plans to continue his figure skating career.

Last edited by a moderator:

evangeline

Record Breaker
Very unfortunate to hear, especially with all the progress they made.

It's going to be an uphill struggle for Rockne to make the US Olympic team considering that he has to start from scratch at this point....

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Americans want instant results or else they give up. Gradual, positive improvement is lost on them. Just look at all of the idiots who are mad that Obama hasn't made the country better than ever in only 3.5 years.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
This is why we can't have nice things, part Nth.

And we're just one romantic breakup from losing our national champions, too.

cornell08

Final Flight
Yes its exasperating, but I don't get it-- it wasn't her getting too tall for him, they were a virtually lock for one of the spots on the Sochi team, and besides Coughlin and Denney their competition is far, far behind them in scores. What gives?

And the penultimate question: who next for Rockne? Sadly, Felicia Zhang is taken...they would have killed, as they are jumping monsters (for pairs skaters)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
People are getting practical...too much work with the future very scary. Maybe she wants to concentrate on education. I only see spots for a few pairs to have a post olympic career of any meaning, don't think they'd ever be good enough. They'd never be a great pair, with all due respect...a good pair and a good American pair but far far away from the top few pairs who get invited to the dwindling shows.....too bad.

Binthere

On the Ice
This is such a surprise and such a disappointment. I have no doubt that Mary Beth had her own very good reasons which we will probably never truly know or appreciate. She always seemed like such an energetic and able young skater and young person, one can only wish her the best with whatever direction she takes in her future.

For Rockne though, it is hard not to feel heartbroken. He especially, has always had the potential to provide figure skating as a sport in the United States, with the the personification of a very welcome a positive image boost for the broader audience on non-skating fan regulars. He had that rogue charm, athletic ability and partnership skills that helps make platforms like Dancing with the Stars popular to a wider public audience.

The timing is so tough. He must be very very determined to figure out a solution and path, as the Sochi Olympics are such a short time away. I will say that the general chaos and lack of consistency amongst the performances and pairings in US pairs will ironically work to his advantage. That said, it is going to be tough to find someone in time for the coming season.

Sad for them both, especially coming on the heels of the Summer Olympics ending and all the "romanticized" buzz and anticipation that this brings. But mostly, I am rooting for them both on other levels. As a fan of skating, I am rooting for Rockne as a skater with his dreams still in hand.

As a fan of the beautiful dedicated young people in this sport we love, I am rooting for them both as young people. This cannot have been easy.

Last edited:

geoskate

On the Ice
That ranks right up there with Vanessa Crone/Paul Poirier splitting in terms of shock value, and makes about as much sense. Why????

If she really is quitting figure skating, I guess it does make sense, but it's still sad news for figure skating fans (from any country, not just the U.S.). They had the potential to be very good eventually.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Wow, I'm surprised by this. No reason was given for Mary Beth's decision to stop competing. She always sounded so enthusiastic about their skating in her tweets, comments, etc. I wonder what's really behind this decision. Has anyone heard anything?

It's sad for Rockne. He just doesn't have good luck with his partners--first Keauna retires, and now Mary Beth! To find yet a third partner who's a) short enough and b) good enough to make it to Worlds/Olympics is not going to be easy.

I'm sorry to see the end of their partnership. They had a lot of good qualities as a team and were improving at a nice rate. They definitely added some nice depth to the U.S. pairs program, which is struggling so much. Well, once again, Nationals will be wide open this year in pairs. Aside from the inevitable Denney/Coughlin, it could be anybody on the podium.

gold12345

Medalist
She's barely 17 and he's 26, which probably doubled the number of potential reasons that might lead to a split. I thought they were improving, but slowly. Marley still wasn't so comfortable with the major aspects of pair skating- throws, the twist, etc. Maybe it was just too much for her. Of course, with no reason whatsoever given for this split, all we can do is pretty much aimlessly speculate. But obviously something went wrong recently.

It makes the battle for 2nd place at Nationals incredibly interesting now though. It's very wide open.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
You know, at this point, I fully expect to see a U.S pairs team quit mid-program. I really hope we get a further explanation, because to quit so soon to the start of the season after you have programs put together and everything just seems..odd.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I was going to say Brubaker should team up with a Baldwin but forgot they are guys and this isn't Blades of glory lol. odd break ups indeed but better now than months from Sochi. too bad he wasn't a dance her could skate with Crone mind you for which country??? but sigh...well the window of opportunity is now there for the second american spot.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am so shocked by this news. :cry: I thought they were really quite promising in their first season together, and was even more impressed this past season. So sorry for this break-up. I wish both of them all the best, and I hope Rockne finds a skating partner with well matched talent/skill ASAP!

Rats! We just can't find any pairs that will stay together these days. They say that it's so much harder to find a male partner than a female. Poor Rockne gets to be the exception that proves the rule.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Bum-MER! I really enjoyed them and their story last year. It's especially sad for Rockne. I don't know much about him at all, but on the surface he seems like just a great person and a talented, solid skater who deserves a good partner. I am hoping for him. I'll miss Mary-Beth, too. Her progress was fun to watch and I liked the personality she exuded on the ice.

deedee1

Record Breaker
:eek: Oh...sorry for the news. :no: I remember I very much enjoyed this pair's 'full-of-energy' performances at the US Nats and 4CC in the previous season.