Salt Lake City Senior B (Int'l Figure Skating Classic) | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Salt Lake City Senior B (Int'l Figure Skating Classic)

herios

Medalist
Nathan Chen, at his first JGP outing, scored higher (75.13) than the Salt Lake City Senior B top scorer, Max Aaron (74.69) :eek::eek:.

That is because of his spins. Chen got all level 4's for his 3 spins, Aaron 2 and 3 and despite landng a uad, while Chen didn't, he still scored 3 points lower in TES.

bibi

On the Ice
Hi,
Does anyone know if we will be able to see the competition somewhere else than on icenetwork? Because I can't watch it since I'm not a US resident.. even if it is not live.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Happy for P/I ..obviously on their way back from a disasterous year .. and pleased that the point differentiation between them and G/P is , at least on paper , rational ( not the case at last year's Nationals ).

Mitch Islam ‏@mitchislam
happy birthday @alexandrapaul_ !!
7:02 AM - 16 Sep 12​

:hb: A weekend of celebration for Paul/Islam: their Salt Lake silver medal yesterday + her 21st birthday today.

herios

Medalist
Great job by Max Aaron, to win and defeat both Ross Miner and Armin who were 3rd and 4th last year at US Nationals. If he skates like he did here and eventually works also on his spins, he could be a threat at the US nationals. There are still only a handful skaters who can land both quad and the rest of the program to be delivered mostly flawless.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ah that 2F-2T combo ultimately cost Gold the win. Nice comeback in the FS with the two 3-3 combos. Too bad about the mistakes at the end. But I'm not too worried -- she seems ready to go home and get back to work.

Congrats to Agnes for keeping it together -- I agree with Krall that she should be proud for not melting down as she did in the past. Hoping to see more of this fight this season.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah i don't get that feeling that i get with Mirai for instance when Gracie makes a mistake. She keeps skating and fighting and seems to be stronger then Alissa also mentally. She seems to have improved her skating skills and is much better at presenting her programs now. She seemed to get in a bit of trouble in the second half by thinking to much. But she's a quick learner. This was a good experience for her before she starts the GP season.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah i don't get that feeling that i get with Mirai for instance when Gracie makes a mistake. She keeps skating and fighting and seems to be stronger then Alissa also mentally. She seems to have improved her skating skills and is much better at presenting her programs now. She seemed to get in a bit of trouble in the second half by thinking to much. But she's a quick learner. This was a good experience for her before she starts the GP season.

I was impressed that she allowed herself about two minutes to be upset then by the time she got to the K&C she immediately went into feedback mode. And not super over analytical. She just simply went over what she thought went wrong.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Exactly. Mirai would have been devastated in the K&C and basically a mess. Gracie seems to shrug it off and tries to find what went wrong. She doesn't seem overly emotional. If she ever skates a clean LP she will get a huge score. I look at this season for Gracie as one where she gets the experience she needs and improves her overall skating. If she doesn't make it too Worlds this year it's not the end of the world. Next year she will be a force to be reckoned with and that is the time to peak with next season being the Olympic year.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So pairs is over. North American sweep pretty much.

United States: 2 golds, 2 silver, 3 bronze = 7
Canada: 2 golds, 2 silver, 1 bronze = 5

Also, I wanted to say I really like Zhang/Bartholomay. I know they've been under the radar given some of the anticipated debuts of other pairs, but despite the mistakes I really enjoyed their program. I really like their look and I think they have a load of potential. I think Zhang works a lot better with this partner than Toth.

artsciboy

On the Ice
Amelie actually had a decent skate with 4 triples and no falls. Bummer that with a TES of 47.99 she JUST missed the 48.0 cut-off. She must be livid! Hopefully that motivates her going forward.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Amelie actually had a decent skate with 4 triples and no falls. Bummer that with a TES of 47.99 she JUST missed the 48.0 cut-off. She must be livid! Hopefully that motivates her going forward.

I agree -- I think all the brouhaha that she dealt with last season really put a fire under her. I think she'll get the TES requirement done at another event.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

I agree -- I think all the brouhaha that she dealt with last season really put a fire under her. I think she'll get the TES requirement done at another event.

How Amélie Lacoste ‏@melipetit reacted via Twitter:

Woohoo! 3e à ma première compétition internationale de la saison! ... mais 47,99 points en technique????? Ahhhh :((
5:06 PM - 16 Sep 12

@melodiedore oui... J'avais besoin de 48 points... C'est un clin d'oeil aux juges ça!
5:31 PM - 16 Sep 12​

I'm happy for all the Ladies on the podium, but esp. for Zawadzki and Lacoste - who did not let all the anticipation of and excitement over Gold discourage them.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Gracie won the long program; I am not sure this is the right music; maybe she should have gone something more age approriate. Remember Baiul and the broadway tunes of course she did show she could skate to Swan Lake or whatever swanny music lol. Agnes didn't totally crumble and Amelie Lacoste did okay as well for Canada meeting her goals for minimum scores it seems. She will be Canada's hope as Joannie won't return if she has to skate individually she only wants to be a team skater so I guess she is out UNLESS the rules allow her to only skate in the team - it looks like if Canada only has one lady and even if Rochette won 2014 nationals if she came second or first and they let someone else skate the individual event she might qualify but that is if Canada only has one spot and they use it for another lady and Joannie is next in line - I am thinking creatively and from the rules I heard - if it were two spots then Joannie would not have a chance because the first or second representative I think according to the rules or drfted rules would have to skate. A lot of rules to look at to manipulate.

mskater93

Record Breaker
She either needed to stay vertical on the 3F or land one of the triples in the combo in the SP....

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Chock and Bates had huge problems in the freeskate; I wonder just how good Gilles and Poirier are versus Paul and Islam? Of these three teams it appears C and B have the nod as to who is best but are G and P able to close the gap. Can they get past the Russians and italian couple as well forget about Weaver and Poje and current world bronze medalist P and B. The pairs was rather meh. Nice effort from the Canadians - not a lot of magic though. No one can evoke the magic of G and G or the Protopoovs right now. S squared are nice but not my cup of tea and V and T are getting better - they need bigger tricks to compete with the Germans and work on their entrances and exits for more points. No one is wowing but it is early.