What are the Greatest Moments of Ladies Figure Skating for you? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What are the Greatest Moments of Ladies Figure Skating for you?

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
The Lyra at 1998 Nationals is the one I also would choose, christinaskater, but on the other hand, how can one choose a single greatest moment in a sport like skating? In long jumping, Bob Beamon's unprecedented record in the 1968 Olympics is clearly the greatest jump ever (a record that it took decades to break), but skating is by its nature impossible to quantify, or at least it is for me.

:yes: I agree. There is so much more to a skating program than just numbers. In other sports, it's clearly the fastest or the longest that wins and therefore is the "greatest". What makes skating so wonderful is that it is like books or poetry or music (or falling in love? :)) where one's heart can become completely attached to a program regardless.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Here's another nice moment at Euros, but I am partial to "hometown wins":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFW9Z99QD30

I've always really liked this performance. It's the perfect example of the joy in skating that we've been robbed of with CoP. In comparison, Sarah Meier's winning performance at 2011 Euros was a really sad affair for me - terrible program and she was rather tepid throughout; she just happened to skate mostly clean during a competition where everyone else skated like poop.

You can see how much more effective Sebestyen's performance is in EVERY regard, a lot of which was because of the greater amount of freedom she had under that scoring system - the spins all worked much better with the music and as individual pieces of choreography, the footwork sequence was fantastic and FAST in a CLEAR LINE across the ice, the jumps were huge and she attempted EVERY different Triple jump (as compared to Meier only doing Lutz, Flip, Salchow), the spiral sequence was better (Sebestyen achieves a nice position and doesn't have to hold it for 6 seconds for no reason), and throughout the whole performance the choreography was interesting and right to the music. Look at all of the little steps she does that interpret music, including the backwards steps throughout the program that form a cohesive whole and give the program character. CoP has no room for that with all of the required spin positions and required body convulsions in the footwork...too much time needs to be dedicated to those elements instead of other movements. Sebesyten even has better transitions in that 2004-era program as compared to Meier's program (which had NO transitions directly into any elements), LOL!

russell30

Final Flight
Love all that has been said also

Vanessa Gusmeroli - legends of the fall fs 2000

Angela Nikodinov - Just for you SP 2001 This has to go down as one of the greatest SP's

Fumie Suguri - Ave Maria SP 2002

Susanna Poykio -Violin Concerto - E Meyer FS 2002 lovely choice of music!

Kiira Korpi - Over The Rainbow SP 2011 and 2012

christinaskater

Medalist
Those were great moments for Laura, Sarah Meier and Julia!

"Tosca" by Michelle Kwan has to be the most passionate skate of all-time! This would be followed by "The Rainbow".

Technically, Mao Asada's LP with the triple axel and 2 triple-triples was the hardest program done of all-time.

Artistically, Chen Lu's 1996 Worlds LP maybe the most artistic program ever. Close call with Lyra Angelica by MK!

I have to agree with you guys that it's hard to really gauge or rank "The greatest" because there have been so many performances for the ages!

christinaskater

Medalist
Elena Sokolova 2003 Worlds LP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvCaiktHZk4

Sarah Hughes 2001 Worlds LP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRNzKnphJ_s

I have to agree that "Just For You" by Angela Nikodinov is one of the best programs ever in Figure skating. Her "Sleeping Beauty" at the 2001 US Nationals was spectacular as well.

Akiko Suzuki's 2012 Worlds LP was one of the best! Had she had the "Superstar" status, it would have been a close call with Carolina.

I also loved "Prelude to an Afternoon Faun" 2011 Worlds LP of Carolina Kostner.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Here was a decisive moment from the '76 Olympics called by Dick Button with other interesting footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbwiLcbwGoo

This was a great moment for me and many American fans as it put Dorothy ahead of her chief rival in the race for the OGM.

Last edited:

Dreaswi

Rinkside
I personally think they should bring back patch. That is the true test of the quality of a skater.

lulu

Final Flight
The one that comes to my mind immediately is Midori Ito's 1988 Olympic long program, even more than her triple-axel at the 1989 World championships, although that was a great moment as well. :)

I've always really liked this performance. It's the perfect example of the joy in skating that we've been robbed of with CoP. In comparison, Sarah Meier's winning performance at 2011 Euros was a really sad affair for me - terrible program and she was rather tepid throughout; she just happened to skate mostly clean during a competition where everyone else skated like poop.

You can see how much more effective Sebestyen's performance is in EVERY regard, a lot of which was because of the greater amount of freedom she had under that scoring system - the spins all worked much better with the music and as individual pieces of choreography, the footwork sequence was fantastic and FAST in a CLEAR LINE across the ice, the jumps were huge and she attempted EVERY different Triple jump (as compared to Meier only doing Lutz, Flip, Salchow), the spiral sequence was better (Sebestyen achieves a nice position and doesn't have to hold it for 6 seconds for no reason), and throughout the whole performance the choreography was interesting and right to the music. Look at all of the little steps she does that interpret music, including the backwards steps throughout the program that form a cohesive whole and give the program character. CoP has no room for that with all of the required spin positions and required body convulsions in the footwork...too much time needs to be dedicated to those elements instead of other movements. Sebesyten even has better transitions in that 2004-era program as compared to Meier's program (which had NO transitions directly into any elements), LOL!

I remember that competition with such pleasure also, but your analysis brings even more of it out or me. Wasn't it wonderful seeing the entire arena singing the Hungarian national anthem as the flag went up?

I just went back and watched it. That footwork is just so perfect for the music, echoing the intensity and drive of the tango rhythm. Even if Sebestyen weren't one of my favorite skaters, I would have been exhilarated by this program and its splendid outcome.

Last edited:

Hanaka

Rinkside
Mao Asada's 2009 World Team Trophy SP " Clair de Lune"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRM4Qj2u_jo

The first 3A-2T done by a lady in SP. I saw it in front of my eyes, the tension in the arena and her nervous face before she went for it are just unforgettable. Not only that, the rest of the program was breathtakingly beautiful. We felt as if we were in the tender moonlight.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Mao Asada's 2009 World Team Trophy SP " Clair de Lune"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRM4Qj2u_jo

The first 3A-2T done by a lady in SP. I saw it in front of my eyes, the tension in the arena and her nervous face before she went for it are just unforgettable. Not only that, the rest of the program was breathtakingly beautiful. We felt as if we were in the tender moonlight.

Thanks for posting that beautiful clip of Mao. :love:

It must have been even more amazing to see it Live.

I dunno....has there ever been a more graceful skater than Mao Asada?

It's impossible to compare, but Mao is certainly one of the most graceful skaters ever. She's breathtaking. What's more, it's astonishing to find someone with such athletic capabilities who also has musicality and suppleness. In the opera world, they would call her a prima donna assoluta. When I watch her, I feel that I'm on a different (and better) planet.