Travel by trains in Europe: your suggestions/advice, sil vous plait! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Travel by trains in Europe: your suggestions/advice, sil vous plait!

deedee1

Record Breaker
Versailles is technically in the surburb of Paris but it's always overcrowded. I wasn't shocked with its beauty simply because in my home city St-Petersburg palaces are way more beautiful.

It's off topic but I saw your home city on TV tonight, let's talk! :)

I love watching 'Sekai Machi-aruki' programs on NHK BS-1 whenever I have time, and tonight's was on St-Petersburg. Palaces are so beautiful as you said. Fountains decorated with gold are gorgeous and all over the city. Sunrise over Neva River just breathtaking!

Followings are episodes I enjoyed from tonight's program: :biggrin:

-Chimney cleaners are one of the most valued/being respected jobs in St-Petersburg ;) ...because pepole can not survive long and cold winters without clean chimneys! Even Peter the Great had to bow to the chimney cleaner back in the day.

-Boys write love letters on the streets! Not one boy, many boys. It's been a tradition for generations to write them on the streets in St-Petersburg, the old gentleman explained. "Young boys these days, however, have no sense of lyrisicm. I used to write more lyric and romantic ones when I was younger!", this guy also complained. :laugh: 'Forgive me, baby!' 'Can't live without you..' sidewalks and streets are filled with love letters, so that girl can get to see them from windows where they live.

It's always fascinating to learn about other countries, its cultures and its people for me! :yes:

emdee

Final Flight
But werent the palaces in St Petersburg built to rival Versailles?

I do agree though that the palaces in St Petersburg are gorgeous and the gardens and fountains of peterhof certainly rival those of Versailles or Fontainebleu.

I loved St Petersburg and would love to go back particularly to spend time at the Hermitage.

Just back this week from Spain loved it there as well - am a bit of a travel fiend but no eurail for me - any train trips are advance booked and loved to drive in europe too!

let`s talk

Match Penalty
It's off topic but I saw your home city on TV tonight, let's talk! :)

I love watching 'Sekai Machi-aruki' programs on NHK BS-1 whenever I have time, and tonight's was on St-Petersburg. Palaces are so beautiful as you said. Fountains decorated with gold are gorgeous and all over the city. Sunrise over Neva River just breathtaking!

Followings are episodes I enjoyed from tonight's program:

-Chimney cleaners are one of the most valued/being respected jobs in St-Petersburg ;) ...because pepole can not survive long and cold winters without clean chimneys! Even Peter the Great had to bow to the chimney cleaner back in the day.

-Boys write love letters on the streets! Not one boy, many boys. It's been a tradition for generations to write them on the streets in St-Petersburg, the old gentleman explained. "Young boys these days, however, have no sense of lyrisicm. I used to write more lyric and romantic ones when I was younger!", this guy also complained. :laugh: 'Forgive me, baby!' 'Can't live without you..' sidewalks and streets are filled with love letters, so that girl can get to see them from windows where they live.

It's always fascinating to learn about other countries, its cultures and its people for me! :yes:
OOOH... thank you! It serves me right that I don't visit Le Cafe often, and as the result I am late with the respond. The city is marvelous, extravagant and unique. Besides palaces, the streets are fashion catwalks and restaurants are gourmet paradise. Romatic notes are common. But I am not sure about chimney cleaners reference. You mean they WERE the most valued job, not ARE. The city is on central heating system since Stalin's era (quite a complex system run by city hall, mandatory requirment for all buildings, otherwise you can' survive in winter, not available in Japan). The fireplaces exist in some historical buildings as interior, not as a real fireplace (it's prohibited by fire department regulations). In the St-Petersburg country cottages it could be different, depends on the cottage. :)

deedee1

Record Breaker
An update on my trip to Europe, just in case one or two of you might be still interested. ;)

We have decided to travel to France only for various reasons, unfortunately. But we will try to visit and cover as much areas as possible throughout France by trains.
We are finalizing our itinerary...literally arguing in front of map and Mr. Thomas Cook :laugh:, so that we have hardly touched packing yet.

We will fly into Paris on Oct 11. Our first choice shall be straight to Bretagne from CDG airport via TGV, probably. :yay:

Oh, that sounds delightful, despite the smaller range of your expedition. We hope for reports when you get back home. By the way, listen for the local language, Breton, when you're in Brittany. I've heard it spoken but haven't studied it. The names on paper are lovely and very different from French, because it's a Celtic language, like Welsh or Gaelic.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Are you gonna take interail or eurorail? cause interail pass even though you have it it is not valid for the very fast trains in France and Germany at least. And in some other you needto book the seat. I ll send you pm.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Thank you so much, seniorita! :)
I have sent you PM back.

As for Eurorail pass, I don't like the few allotments available for passholders when getting on fast trains such as TVGs.
So I decided NOT to buy it, and instead purchased French (National) rail pass, because they also sell seats to this pas holders as long as seats left until the very last minutes. :yes:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Leaving for Paris around midnight tonight.

We are all set and very excited! :) A little sad 'cause I am going to miss the first half of Grand Prix, though ;)...Please cheer for all the skaters in the world, who are currently competing, who are so brave, fantastic, determined and devoted for the sport they love and their fans love, for me. :yay:

And many many thanks to everyone for such considerate messages and practical advice! :yes:
Will see you guys in about a month.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
oh wow! Have fun deedee! safe travels, can't wait to hear how it went!