Russia's Volleyball coach commits suicide | Golden Skate

Russia's Volleyball coach commits suicide

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Poor showing in London is blamed. I do not watch it so do not know what position the Russian team finished in. This is very trag:think::think:ic and what does it bode for Sochi where so much Russian hope and pride is on the table?

How unnerving. I imagine there's incredible pressure on the coaches and the athletes. I hope this event serves as a warning for the Olympic officials to make the atmosphere productive rather than desperate.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yes. one hopes this suicide is not "in vain" and forgotten. I was surprised as some cultures are more prone to shame in losing and taking one's life after a "mistake" is considered good form, it is expected. Of course I don't wish to single out a culture, as maybe this is changing with every country affected by western culture and other religions. Do you know what position the volleyball team finished in? Sochi will be vested in a marquee sport like skating, and I know they were very upset with Vancouver, despite Evgeni's silver.

Not to dominate in ice dance and pairs so totally is a blow to their pride. It is just a sport, but in some countries it is overblown. I can only imagine if Yuna had not won, what many of her uber-ubers might have done. I think Russian sports is in overdrive to make Sochi the Olympics where they grab many gold medals. It seems more important to them than us. Perhaps we have too many Americans just barely making it. There is a paradox, though. When all else is bad, America can say, look at our medal haul from London. Which seems crazy as all it says is we have a lot of Olympic sports we do well in.

So elite athletes are doing well, but look at the state of the nation. I think that is why we look to a sport or a team for diversion. It is vicarious winning while we go down the drain. I remember when Canada won the Hockey game over us by one point and Canada was jubilant. It would have been a depressed nation and a horrible closing ceremony had they lost in Hockey-the national mania. I was happy they won that thrilling game, tho the US looked crushed.

It is just a sport. Yes, huge money, but we seem to have lost all perspective in the big money sports, as well as Olympic contests. May God be holding his hand right now, I hope.